Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Some good stuff to watch over the next 2 days

-Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez 2 - (Friday at 7pm on Primetime)

-Thrilla in Manila documentary - (Fri night/Sat morning at 12am on Channel 4)

-Tyson Fury vs Neven Pajkicat - (Saturday at 9.45pm on Five)

Primetime coverage for Saturday night has:

11pm - All 4 episodes of Pacquiao vs Marquez 24/7

1am - Story So Far documentary

1.30am - Face Off with Max Kellerman

2am - Live Pacquiao vs Marquez 3 (main event should take place somewhere between 4 and 5am I imagine)

Watched most of the Box Nation card last night thought it was ok

SPOILERS - JUST IN CASE!

Fair to say Ovill McKenzie did not hang around, but his opponent was taking a step up in opposition

Chisora didnt look very interested in all honesty, his opponent was your typical tough eastern european points defeat guy

• Paid Members

Damn, that KO was quick.

-------

I came across this while reading articles about Joe Frazier. It's a piece by Steve Bunce about Gene Kilroy who was Ali's "facilitator". The man has lived a life.

http://www.boxing-monthly.co.uk/content/1009/two.htm

Current Issue: SEPTEMBER 2010

KILROY WAS THERE

Steve Bunce throws light on Gene Kilroy, business manager, facilitator and friend to Muhammad Ali, and a man who witnessed boxing history being made

twoqd.jpg

Gene Kilroy most certainly was there.

He was there when Muhammad Ali lost, he was there when he tamed George Foreman, he was present at the end, spitting up blood from his ulcers as Ali rested, exhausted, and he is still there now, opening a door whenever Ali is in town.

He was known as The Facilitator in a tiny team of people devoted to their boss, Ali. He was the business manager. It was and it will remain the greatest and closest inner circle in boxing history. Kilroy has the diamond-studded heavyweight championship ring that only the elite from the inner circle can wear. He was also there as a pallbearer at the funeral of Ali

Edited by nfc90210

Thought the Eunbank debut was a little cringe worthy in the sense that it was built like it was almost his old man fighting & All Eubank Junior did was try to imitate him? I can understand why they did this, but even so?

Tyson Fury is no world beater, not now, not ever. I thought the ref jumped in a little quick, it was one of those fights were anything could have happened & both fighters should have been given every chance win that war. Fury may be an overrated, Gypo Nutter but you cant take away from the fact that his fights are exciting :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
I thought it was too close to call a robbery, but admittedly, I am hammered.

Either way, Marquez is desperately unlucky to have had 3 razor close fights with Manny and lose them all.

Haha I just posted about this in the Pac/Marquez 3 thread. I had Marquez up 8-4 maybe 7-5. I need to watch it again tomorrow but on first viewing i thought it was bullshit. It keeps the Floyd/Manny fight on the table and I think Floyd will jump on it now thinking Manny is slowing down.

Either they'll do a 4th Pac vs Marquez or it's Floyd vs Pac next. I'm thinking they'll make the Floyd fight and not risk Manny losing to Marquez and blowing the big money fight.

Feel bad for Marquez.

• Paid Members

Liked Eubank Jr's debut. He looked good and he'll learn more from that type of fight than if he'd come out and blew someone out in a round.

On the point britishwrestlinglegends made, I understood why he was pretty much pretending to be his dad but I hope he leaves that alone in future. I like that he came out to Simply the Best and done the Eubank rope jump but that was enough imo. Trying to act like his dad when he's actually in the middle of a fight is a bit too risky. He's clearly very talented I'd hate to see him get caught because he's taking risks doing impressions of his old man and trying to live up to the name. Eubank Sr got away with it but it's a bad idea to copy that stuff. I don't think the cocky act suits him anyway, he's always come across as a quiet type if anything.

Fury/Pajkic was messy as fuck but fun. There's always drama in Fury's fights. To be honest though, he's gotta be one of the most overhyped fighters in boxing. I really couldn't believe when they were getting comments from fans and they were saying shit like he will beat both the Klitschko's. Fuck off. I know he's got a long way to go but for the opposition he's fighting he's getting rocked/almost KO'd in nearly every fight he has. It's not a good sign for if/when he steps up in level. And he's so fucking smug about it, like he's breezing through top level fighters or something when in reality he's scraping through near KO's off guys a top fighter would have no trouble with.

I thought the stoppage wasn't great either. Not terrible and its better to be safe but when Fury got decked he was given chance to get his shit together. I didn't really feel like Pajkic was given the same chance myself.

Funniest part of the night for me was Hennessey saying Fury/Pajkic was the UK's Hagler vs Hearns. Sweet Christ :laugh:

Edited by wandshogun09

I agree very much with the Eubank jnr comments. Seems to be a very talented young man but needs to find his feet and try and forget who and what his Dad did in his career.

Tyson Fury, always exciting but where do I start ? What frustrates me about Fury are the things that can easily be fixed with some hard work and determination but are always left. He looked in terrible shape last night, he's meant to be a professional boxer, our best British heavyweight hope for the future.

He needs major help in this regard, if he worked more on his body, strength and fitness he would improve out of sight. He needs to work on his posture, build up muscle and improve fitness and stamina.

He needs to improve in many other areas like his woeful defence and ability to take a shot and remain composed but the above for me should be a given for any professional boxer.

Perhaps he's lazy or lacks true determination and motivation, I don't know but his career will be a short one and not what he wants if he doesn't take a long hard look at himself and start to make positive changes soon.