Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Well, you could argue that now , albeit an interim title- Congrats to Rick Burns for a masterful display.

In sadder news, Joe Frazier is in a hospice with severe liver cancer. This is very sad. Have always preferred his story to Ali's for some reason, and enjoyed his fights immensely too. Try and track down him vs Oscar Bonavena. They are tremendous battles.

His book is a superb and honest read too (for the poster looking for boxing books to read) I think its just called Smokin' Joe.

I would also recommend Against the ropes by Geoffrey Beattie.

If you can track down the book that contains Million Dollar Baby, thats well worth a read. Its a short story collection.

Also Rocky Lives!: Heavyweight Boxing Upsets of the 1990's - excellent read. Some good memories.

Edited by Poopants the Scrunge

Well, you could argue that now , albeit an interim title- Congrats to Rick Burns for a masterful display.

In sadder news, Joe Frazier is in a hospice with severe liver cancer. This is very sad. Have always preferred his story to Ali's for some reason, and enjoyed his fights immensely too. Try and track down him vs Oscar Bonavena. They are tremendous battles.

His book is a superb and honest read too (for the poster looking for boxing books to read) I think its just called Smokin' Joe.

I would also recommend Against the ropes by Geoffrey Beattie.

There is also a collection of short fictional stories about boxing, which I cannot remember the title of, but it had Million Dollar Baby in it, they are all superb.

Sad news about Joe Frazier.

But I certainly don't count that interim bollocks as a 'world' title, especially when the WBO's belt-holder is a certain Juan Manuel Marquez :confused: . There are enough of these shitty organisations ruining the sport as it is, let alone all their variants of it. Thankfully Boxnation and Burns didn't really go down the route of 'two-weight world champion' which would have been a bit awkward.

Don't let that take away from the win, mind. It was an excellent performance, and I am delighted for him.

Good job, well done by Ricky Burns last night. He looked pretty relaxed and comfortable throughout.

George Groves, well it was a nice finish but not sure what else to say. He got the job done quickly.

Kirkland WTF !!! Never a dull moment eh ?

Totally agreed with your comments :thumbsup: . Kirkland!!!!!!! My God how did he pick himself up & do that! What a first round & what a gutsy performance by both fighters. Kirkland barely wasted a punch which i believe was the key to his win, That & having balls like grapefruits!

That was a sensational right hand Groves connected with, couldn't believe Smith somehow got up, showed a lot of bravery but it was all over. Groves seems happy to take his time and continue around domestic/european level before going for some of the big hitters, which is good as he is not ready yet for a Froch, Ward, Kessler or Bute. Keep hearing all the Degale talk but that is a fight if it is ever to take place again, it needs to happen way down the line when there is at least one if not two world titles on the line.

I'm happy for Burns. I thought he boxed very well and was surprised by how he took some of those big bombs. It's not his second world title and I doubt a fight against Marquez would ever come off. See what happens with Marquez next week but if he was to hang them up it be interesting to see what would happen with the title. I could see Burns/Mitchell somewhere down the line, be a cracking fight.

• Paid Members

was super impressed with Burns, he stayed so calm under Katsidis pressure and landed the betters shots all night. I don't think Katsidis landed a meaningful punch all night, and considering how many he threw that's astonishing. I still love The Great though :)

• Paid Members
Anyone watch Toney vs Lebedev?

SPOILERS****

Fuck me, Toney looked awful. I did actually get my hopes up with him losing all that weight, that we'd possibly see Toney pull something out of his prime but he looked completely done to me. Maybe I'm being harsh and he legit hurt his knee but it can't have just been that. He was all over the place, he still showed brief flashes of the old Toney, slipping punches and stuff but he doesn't have the reflexes or timing he had years ago and back then he'd have schooled Lebedev imo.

I wish he'd hang 'em up now but no doubt he'll be back for a Roy Jones rematch or I could even see him fighting Holyfield again. Freakshows but they'll make money and as long as the promoters keep paying them who can blame them for getting in there.

Is the David Price/John McDermott fight on TV tonight?

It was bad wasnt it.

Steve Bunce ripped Toney a new one on the broadcast after the fight. Toneys since come and claimed he seriously injured his knee in round 2.. im liable to believe him, because the way be staggered around was just weird. Still its clear that Toney is done at this level.

• Paid Members

Yeah there's no doubt they shouldn't be in there anymore. They were 2 of the best and most gifted boxers in the sport in their prime, it's sad watching them these days knowing what they used to be like.

When they met in 94 it was 2 of the pound for pound best in boxing going at it. A fight between Jones and Toney in 2012 would be a farce. The sad thing is I know I'll still tune in hoping for one or both of them to produce something they don't have in them anymore and hoping they don't get badly hurt.