Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
I would also like to say a couple of things regarding Teddy Atlas. For me, he is far and away the biggest twat in boxing over the last year or so. I don't care how shit he thinks Pacquiao is, but I'm certain that his criticism of Manny is personal rather than professional, although I don't know what reasons it might be down to. I say this because he contradicts himself a lot with regards to Pacquiao and Mayweather. For example, he had nothing good to say about Mannys win over Cotto, and gave him no credit at all by saying that it was all about Cotto being finished rather than Manny being the better fighter. However, he showered Mayweather in praise after his win over Marquez.

If Atlas doesn't rate Pacquiao, then that's cool, but he destroys his own argument by the contradictions he makes, and even worse, this....

Atlas, doing as much as anyone to soil Pacquiao's reputation

If I was Manny Pacquiao, I would be suing Teddy Atlas for that.

Yeah that's my only problem with Teddy. I like his commentating but when he starts on about Pacquiao he comes across as a bit of a mong. Seems to pick fault with anything Manny does just for the sake of it. There's gotta be a personal reason for it cos like you say he doesn't criticize other top fighters with that kind of venom.

Oh If anyone subscribes to Premier Sports the Berto vs Zaveck fight is on there live tonight. I've been thinking about getting Premier but I dunno.

Oh and De La Hoya :love:

:D

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I was off work with flu the last few days so I've been watching a bunch of Gatti fights. Here's the best of the bunch

Arturo Gatti vs Tracy Harris Patterson 1

Great fight, 12 round war. Really close too with Gatti edging it probably for being busier. Loved this fight. I watched the rematch too but it wasn't nearly as exciting unfortunately.

Gatti vs Patterson 1 Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-VsF8aJ15A

Arturo Gatti vs Wilson Rodriguez

This was nuts. Crazy back and forth fight with Gatti getting put on his arse early on having a rough couple of rounds and coming back to KO Rodriguez with a fucking brutal left hook in the 6th. This is now one of my favourite fights, can't believe I never saw this before.

Gatti vs Rodriguez Part 1 (seriously fucking watch this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeNnfu_0Cto...feature=related

Arturo Gatti vs Gabriel Ruelas

Yet another Gatti war. Ruelas turned out to be a really tough opponent and looked close to putting Gatti out a couple of times with some nasty uppercuts. Gatti ended up knocking him out cold with a right, left hook combo in the 5th. Another tremendous fight there.

Gatti vs Ruelas Part 1

Highly recommend anyone who hasn't seen these fights to check them out. I'd never seen the Rodriguez or Ruelas fights before and remember one of Taylor's posts where he was recommending them so I gave 'em a look. Fucking awesome couple of fights there.

Gonna watch the Gatti/Ward trilogy again sometime soon and his fights with Ivan Robinson. Gatti was awesome, no-one had more of a warrior mentality than him.

That Alex Reid photo is so wrong. Was his last fight a set up? i read an interview with that kong bloke who fought him last saying it was a set up.

Watched Ringside the other night, of to a great start with the 4 world champs appearing on it - Froch, Cleverley, Burns and Khan.

I think Burns should be a bigger star than he is with his likeable personailty, especially in Scotland, he came across as a gent as he always does. Cleverley is a future British great, the man is a beast, he looks huge but wears dodgy clobber.

Froch didnt appear in the studio due to his other commitments in promoting the Ward fight.

The funny thing for me was when they were asking Khan about the domestic scene and he was saying how he keeps an eye on it etc.... and even though they had just showed a promotional video of Hatton hyping 3 of his fighters for future (including scott quigg) Khan repeatidly said that he tipped big things for scott quinn. He also tipped Britain to have 8 world champs by the end of the boxing season.

Looking forward to watching some of those Gatti rucks posted above - cheers.

In Boxing Monthly this month there is a good article on Michael Watson.

Tyson Furys opponent still hasnt yet been named for the 17th Sep, the latest name to be rumoured is - journeyman Nicolai Firtha (20-8-1, 8 KO

Edited by Mr Lawrence

• Paid Members

Just checking in with a quick post to provide a link to yesterday's Mayweather Vs Ortiz 24/7 episode. For those who would rather watch on TV or don't wish to use the bandwith or whatever, then you can see the first three episodes of 24/7 on friday 16th september on Channel 5 off-shoot 5 USA, with the fourth and final episode being shown on Primetime the following night during the build up to the event.

So here's the link to the recent episode, knowing how quick HBO are in shutting them down, I thought I would post it while it was still up ;

24/7 Episode 2

A quick note on last night's show in Doncaster; I didn't plan on going, but after being given the night off from work, I went down to support a couple of old friends who were on the undercard, and made the trip with their families and had a great night. The Hall Vs Mcdonnell fight was quality and a great start to the British season. Jamie was the better fighter and showed true class, but Hall should still be proud of his showing, especially considering that he hasn't been a professional very long and turned over very late. Both fighters can come away with positive outlooks and I will look forward to seeing them both again.

Just a quick note on Nathan Cleverly....I've been keeping a close eye on him for a few years now and I think he can go as far as he likes, but I don't think that he will ever land a fight with Bernard Hopkins. The great Executioner seems like he can go on forever, but I don't think there is enough time for Cleverly to build himself into a position in which B-Hop would come knocking. Even without Hopkins, there are enough quality names in the Light-heavy division to bring out the quality in the Welshman and elevate him. As Mr Lawrence mentioned, physically he has a massive frame, and I'm sure that this might sound silly, but I think there is a realistic chance that he will at some point (probably late in his career) make a one-off challenge for and win a portion of the Heavyweight title. I'll go into more detail on that later as I'm off to bed right now after being out for most of the night! Zzzzz....

Just checking in with a quick post to provide a link to yesterday's Mayweather Vs Ortiz 24/7 episode. For those who would rather watch on TV or don't wish to use the bandwith or whatever, then you can see the first three episodes of 24/7 on friday 16th september on Channel 5 off-shoot 5 USA, with the fourth and final episode being shown on Primetime the following night during the build up to the event.

So here's the link to the recent episode, knowing how quick HBO are in shutting them down, I thought I would post it while it was still up ;

24/7 Episode 2

A quick note on last night's show in Doncaster; I didn't plan on going, but after being given the night off from work, I went down to support a couple of old friends who were on the undercard, and made the trip with their families and had a great night. The Hall Vs Mcdonnell fight was quality and a great start to the British season. Jamie was the better fighter and showed true class, but Hall should still be proud of his showing, especially considering that he hasn't been a professional very long and turned over very late. Both fighters can come away with positive outlooks and I will look forward to seeing them both again.

Just a quick note on Nathan Cleverly....I've been keeping a close eye on him for a few years now and I think he can go as far as he likes, but I don't think that he will ever land a fight with Bernard Hopkins. The great Executioner seems like he can go on forever, but I don't think there is enough time for Cleverly to build himself into a position in which B-Hop would come knocking. Even without Hopkins, there are enough quality names in the Light-heavy division to bring out the quality in the Welshman and elevate him. As Mr Lawrence mentioned, physically he has a massive frame, and I'm sure that this might sound silly, but I think there is a realistic chance that he will at some point (probably late in his career) make a one-off challenge for and win a portion of the Heavyweight title. I'll go into more detail on that later as I'm off to bed right now after being out for most of the night! Zzzzz....

was a great fight between Stuie and Mcdonnell am still trying to get over the effects of a heavy day on the drink ( a 10am start and a 3.30am finish ha!), gonna watch it tonight, was great watching live so should have came off as a great fight on tv as well have heard people say its a early FOTYC, and for me it is just a fantastic fight. Mcdonnall was the better fighter the more classy operator in the ring, i think stuie will clean up domestic level but i think the european level might be to much of a step up but saying that he is still learning and any thing can happen in the fight game.

I watched it on sky sports, was a very good fight. I thought Hall looked in command the first few rounds despite Jim Watts commentary, then came round 5 or 6 Mcdonell started landing some quality body shots and from then on he bossed the fight. Although it was the first fight of the season, i do not think it will be FOTY.

On a side note, i think Bellow looks well like Evertons Jack Rodwell - to ferrell Scousers

• Paid Members
Great news about the first 3 episodes of 24/7 being on 5, hopefully it gets good ratings. I'm gonna end up grudgingly paying for this Floyd fight.

I've decided to get the PPV after my initial hesitation. Mayweather vs Ortiz aside, you also have upcoming star Saul Alvarez vs Alfonso Gomez, and Erik Morales vs Matthyse. So it's turned out to be a very good value for money show.

I will make my prediction for the main event a few days prior to the show, but as I've said before, I really believe that there is enough evidence to say that Mayweather is slowing down. As good as he looked in the Mosley fight from the third round on, he showed some serious danger signs regarding his reflexes and defence, and on top of that, his inactivity adds more fuel to that fire. No matter how good a fighter might be, history has shown us that under the right circumstances and timing, even the greatest fighters can come crashing down.

I still think that Floyd will find a way to win and come out on top as always, but I'm in no doubt whatsoever that the risk of loss for Floyd in this fight is greater than any he has been in for years.

I still think that Floyd will find a way to win and come out on top as always, but I'm in no doubt whatsoever that the risk of loss for Floyd in this fight is greater than any he has been in for years.

I don't feel as confident about Ortiz winning as I have about Mayweather opponents in the past, but then maybe the surprise will happen this time around.

I do know that Floyd is easily one of the most revolting guys in the sport today, and for that I'd not be too upset to see him lose. Even so, I don't rate his fights enough to actually throw down cash on them.

Floyd has Ric Flair syndrome, it is hard to tell where "Money Mayweather" ends and Floyd begins. He plays up to the camera like no one else in boxing, the clip where he was running and talked about De Le Hoya being on drugs, playing the race card and Victor Ortiz being a male model was priceless, but it is hard to tell if he is just in self promotion mode are he has actually become the character he created to promote fights.

He is a bit like Chael Sonnen in that way he knows how to promote fights and says the right things to get attention, I used to dislike him but like Chael, he does have a certain charm to him despite him being a bit of a rascal.

I cant wait for the Ortiz fight, I would pay for it but am not staying up that late, so it will be downloaded the next day.

Floyd was complaining that they are spending to much time on Ortiz's past on Facebook yesterday and said 24/7 needs a new editior.

• Paid Members
I've decided to get the PPV after my initial hesitation. Mayweather vs Ortiz aside, you also have upcoming star Saul Alvarez vs Alfonso Gomez, and Erik Morales vs Matthyse. So it's turned out to be a very good value for money show.

Yeah it's nice to see them moving away from the old big main event-shit undercard format. I'm not keen on paying 15 quid for it but I can't miss it. Alvarez/Gomez and Morales/Matthyse should be cracking fights, really looking forward to them.

I dunno what to expect with the main event. Floyd's a bit of a question mark for me at this point. I see him winning, on points probably, but it's hard to know where he's at with how little he fights these days.

• Paid Members
Floyd was complaining that they are spending to much time on Ortiz's past on Facebook yesterday and said 24/7 needs a new editior.

Floyd has always loved playing the poor kid with a tough childhood who fought his way out of it, so with the 24/7 background theme placing a lot of emphasis on Ortiz's very hard childhood, Mayweather can't really play that game now. The reality is, while it's true that he grew up witnessing some things which most people don't, he isn't from the background he says he is. Of course, I'm not saying that he grew up in a rich environment, but from an extremely early age, "Lil' Floyd" was groomed for pugilistic sucess, with Uncles Roger and Jeff pitching in and helping him whenever Floyd Sr. was absent for whatever reason.

A notoriously dysfunctional family whose struggles with eachother have become somewhat of local legend in the Michigan area, or as someone once put it ; "It's hard to find a Mayweather that likes another Mayweather." However, for years during Floyd's childhood, one thing that most of them could agree on and work together for, was building and nurturing Floyd Mayweather into a great fighter. From what I've gathered over the years, they done a great deal to keep him away from distractions, and done a great deal to insulate him from the kind of things that his friends and neighbours were doing or getting involved in.

Going back to the fight....from the reports I've heard and what I've seen, almost every single round of Floyd's famous padwork with Roger, is being implemented with Mayweather moving back constantly. Of course, most of his fights are fought this way, with him "on the back foot", but even by his standards, he has been doing an unusual amount of work whilst backing up, so that of course, says that he is anticipating Victor Ortiz to come out charging, and Floyd's plan will be to weather the storm, take advantage of the younger fighters defense, and butter him up for the rounds in which Mayweather rules, which is usually from the 6th onwards.

I've mentioned a few times before, that I believe Mayweather is starting to slow down, and that is something I stand by. Over the last couple of weeks I have been studying Floyd's performances from the time period of 2004 onwards, and I'm sure of it. This happens to everyone, of course, but Mayweather is doing himself no favours with his inactivity. I am very much a member of the Jimmy Jacobs school of thought when it comes to this subject. Whether you fight, or throw rocks at a telephone poll, you aren't going to be as good at it by doing it once a year, as you would be if you done it once a month. One thing I have always believed, is that everything in life is all about timing.

Inactivity can lead to bad results for any fighter, but for one that relies on defensive speed, reflexes and perhaps most crucially -foot speed and placement- by going into the ring in september for only the third time in TWO YEARS, with a bigger, younger and probably hungrier fighter, I can't help but think that we are heading for another "wrong place, wrong time" moment in boxing history.

Time will tell.

Edited by Taylorslade

I'm tempted to get this show and I never order boxing events, normally. It's UFC the same night so theres some decision making to be made. I know Primetime repeat shows for awhile, will they replay all the fights or will that just be the live version only? If they replay every fight, I might just record UFC instead and catch a repeat of the boxing