Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
Regarding the Ortiz fight, I think it could be the fight where Mayweather finally comes unstuck, the reason I say this, is because in the Mosley fight he looked like his defence and reflexes are seriously slowing down. If you look at the first big right hand that Mosley landed in the 2nd, not the one to the temple that nearly put him over, but the first straight right that started that attack, Mayweather's defence was nowhere to be seen and he just watched and stared at Mosleys right glove as it made it's way across, and that is seriously out of character for Floyd, normally you can't hit him in the arse with a handful of rice. So I'm wondering if he is starting to slow down, and the inactivity can't be anygood no matter what anyone says. Watch the Mosley fight again, Mayweather was much more agressive than normally, infact he was the agressor for most of the fight which nobody expected, so why do you think that is? I'm not saying it for sure, but watching him closley during that fight, it seemed as if he had to go on the attack because he was having trouble getting out of the way of Mosley's punches, so he realised and decided he had to go on the offensive, and he knew that Mosley didn't have the speed and reflexes that night to counter him. I love Floyd as a fighter, but it's happened to all the great fighters in the past, fighters better than he is, so it's going to happen to him, and the only reason I'm saying it could be his time, is because I've seen more than enough evidence that says he is.

Yeah good point there. He fights like once a year now at most, he's fought only twice since the Hatton fight in '07. It can't be a good thing to take so much time out between fights. No matter how much he keeps in shape and spars or whatever. It's no substitute for actually getting in there and fighting.

Do you think him trying to be more aggressive against Mosley is maybe him thinking if he does fight Pacquiao then it will help because Manny is more of an attacker and maybe doesn't fight aswell on the defense as offense? Even then I can't see him backing Manny up a lot and I think it could play into Manny's hands.

I always thought if a Mayweather/Pacquiao fight happened then Floyd would box and counter punch and win on points but I don't know if he'd be so effective with a more aggressive style. I just wish they'd make the fucking fight while it still matters.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, Erik Morales is now fighting Lucas Matthyse on Sep 17th. Barrios pulled out. Don't fancy Morales' chances here.

Some upcoming fights the next few months

Aug 13th

Michael Katsidis vs Michael Lozada

David Tua vs Monte Barrett

Aug 19th

David Diaz vs Henry Lundy

Matthew Hatton vs Andrei Abramenka

Aug 27th

Marcos Maidana vs Robert Guerrero (for Maidana's WBA Interim Jr Welterweight Title)

Ruslan Chagaev vs Alexander Povetkin (for vacant WBA Heavyweight Title)

Sep 3rd

Jan Zaveck vs Andre Berto (for Zaveck's for IBF Welterweight Title)

Sep 10th

Vitali Klitschko vs Tomasz Adamek (for Klitschko's WBC Heavyweight Title)

Paul McCloskey vs Breidis Prescott (WBA Jr Welterweight eliminator)

Yuriorkis Gamboa vs Daniel Ponce de Leon

Sep 15th

Prizefighter Jr Middleweights

Sep 17th

Victor Ortiz vs Floyd Mayweather Jr (for Ortiz's WBC Welterweight Title)

Erik Morales vs Lucas Matthyse (for vacant WBC Jr Welterweight Title)

Saul Alvarez vs Alfonso Gomez (for Alvarez's WBC Jr Middleweight Title)

Oct 1st

Sergio Martinez vs Darren Barker (for Martinez's Ring Middleweight Title)

Toshiaki Nishioka vs Rafael Marquez (for Nishioka's WBC Jr Featherweight Title)

Oct 15th

Bernard Hopkins vs Chad Dawson (for Hopkins' Ring/WBC Light Heavyweight Title)

Oct 29th

Andre Dirrell vs Carl Froch (for WBC/WBA Super Middleweight Titles)

Nov 12th

Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez (for Pacquiao's WBO Welterweight Title)

Dec 3rd

Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito (for Cotto's WBA Jr Middleweight Title)

Oh and Kimbo Slice is making his pro boxing debut on Aug 13th in a 4 rounder against James Wade :rolleyes:

taylorslade, what are your thoughts on the season opener between jamie mcDonell and Stuart Hall, i carn't wait for this fight, a bus full of us are travelling down to donny to support stuie on, is a potential FOTY for me. Has i am baised i think stuie will stop him in the later rounds

Macklin has turned down a rematch with Sturm due to not getting eough cash, says hes planning on fighting in America now to make a name for himself there. Would love to see him and Barker, think Barker would beat him and also think Barker will do alot better against Martinez than people think.

Oh yeah, Erik Morales is now fighting Lucas Matthyse on Sep 17th. Barrios pulled out. Don't fancy Morales' chances here.

Some upcoming fights the next few months

Aug 13th

Michael Katsidis vs Michael Lozada

David Tua vs Monte Barrett

Aug 19th

David Diaz vs Henry Lundy

Matthew Hatton vs Andrei Abramenka

Aug 27th

Marcos Maidana vs Robert Guerrero (for Maidana's WBA Interim Jr Welterweight Title)

Ruslan Chagaev vs Alexander Povetkin (for vacant WBA Heavyweight Title)

Sep 3rd

Jan Zaveck vs Andre Berto (for Zaveck's for IBF Welterweight Title)

Sep 10th

Vitali Klitschko vs Tomasz Adamek (for Klitschko's WBC Heavyweight Title)

Paul McCloskey vs Breidis Prescott (WBA Jr Welterweight eliminator)

Yuriorkis Gamboa vs Daniel Ponce de Leon

Sep 15th

Prizefighter Jr Middleweights

Sep 17th

Victor Ortiz vs Floyd Mayweather Jr (for Ortiz's WBC Welterweight Title)

Erik Morales vs Lucas Matthyse (for vacant WBC Jr Welterweight Title)

Saul Alvarez vs Alfonso Gomez (for Alvarez's WBC Jr Middleweight Title)

Oct 1st

Sergio Martinez vs Darren Barker (for Martinez's Ring Middleweight Title)

Toshiaki Nishioka vs Rafael Marquez (for Nishioka's WBC Jr Featherweight Title)

Oct 15th

Bernard Hopkins vs Chad Dawson (for Hopkins' Ring/WBC Light Heavyweight Title)

Oct 29th

Andre Dirrell vs Carl Froch (for WBC/WBA Super Middleweight Titles)

Nov 12th

Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez (for Pacquiao's WBO Welterweight Title)

Dec 3rd

Miguel Cotto vs Antonio Margarito (for Cotto's WBA Jr Middleweight Title)

Oh and Kimbo Slice is making his pro boxing debut on Aug 13th in a 4 rounder against James Wade :rolleyes:

Which ones are on Sky Sports, mate?

vintage eubank.

sky sports boxing season starts around early sep, so i would assume most of them fights after that would be on there. Degale is fighting around then as well, i hope thats on then. Personally i think Guerrero will beat Maidana. I would love to see him fight Khan, i think he would walk through alot of Khans punches and get to him late. Read alot of interviews and articles about Kahn recently saying how good he is, personally i think in his career he has fought one good fighter and that was Maidana, other than that he hasnt done shit. He is very good to watch though. But until he fights, bradley, guerrero i dont realy rate him. He seems to be around very good business people who match him very carefully. GBP is copying the Vince Senoir business model in the fact they will pick an ethnic fighter and push him to the moon no matter what. Saying that, the Ginger Mexican is who is young and had about 45 odd fights already does look special.

• Paid Members

vintage eubank.

sky sports boxing season starts around early sep, so i would assume most of them fights after that would be on there. Degale is fighting around then as well, i hope thats on then. Personally i think Guerrero will beat Maidana. I would love to see him fight Khan

Eubank's a fucking legend. That was from the Best Of Enemies show which was on ITV just before Benn vs Eubank 2. Loved that bit with James Toney, disliking him was the only thing Benn and Eubank seemed to agree on.

Yeah most of that stuff should be on Sky Sports. Think Taylorslade mentioned that Mayweather/Ortiz might be on Primetime though so maybe some of these will be on there. DeGale will deffo be on Sky Sports I'd imagine. Guerrero vs Khan would be good.

• Paid Members

Remember we were on about DVDs with boxart the other day? I've just seen these on ioffer.

muhammad-ali-vs-joe-frazier-trilogy-defined-more-6-dvd-07c2.jpg

No career sets but he's got a few of these type boxed DVDs. They look fucking excellent to me.

Others he's got

Ali vs Foreman

Holyfield vs Bowe Trilogy

Hagler vs Hearns

Leonard vs Hagler

Leonard vs Duran Trilogy

Chavez vs Taylor 2 fights

Pryor vs Arguello 2 fights

Lewis vs Tyson

Tyson vs Douglas

Tyson vs Holyfield 2 fights

Mayweather vs Mosley & 24/7 Series

Sugar Ray Robinson Boxing's Best HBO Special

here's his ioffer

http://as.ioffer.com/selling/allvintageshows?page=1

Edited by wandshogun09

Do any of you guys know where to get some good boxing compilations. I dont mean those career sets, im after comps with various quality fights. Proving somewhat difficult which I find hard to believe given theres plenty of match of the year comps for wrestling and i've seen afew for MMA also

• Paid Members
Do any of you guys know where to get some good boxing compilations. I dont mean those career sets, im after comps with various quality fights. Proving somewhat difficult which I find hard to believe given theres plenty of match of the year comps for wrestling and i've seen afew for MMA also

www.superstarsofboxing.co.uk

He should have something of interest to you, and you won't have to spend much either.

On the subject of DVD's, boxing as a whole is seriously, seriously lagging behind any combat sport, and I don't want to go down the MMA vs Boxing route (Please!) , but considering how much money that the likes of Clearvision and whoever else must be turning over on the UFC DVDs, and their turnaround is lightning quick.

Beginning with Hatton Vs Mayweather, there was a steady flow of DVD releases of the bigger fights around that time such as Hopkins Vs Calzaghe, and Calzaghe vs Jones, which sold quite well, particularly Hatton Vs Mayweather. What I'm getting at, is that you can't go and buy particular fights and their undercards in the way you can with UFC, I know that i partially down to the fact that UFC events are promoted as a whole event rather than one big fight and a shit undercard which is the way boxing shows are. That aside, I think that there is something seriously wrong, when you consider the following ; if you want to go and buy a particular fight from the past on DVD, then you HAVE to go to someone who sells pirated DVD's, because proper releases don't exist.

Another example, is regarding the following recent commercially released Box sets

Muhammad Ali : Greatest of all time 6-disc set

Tyson = The Rise of Iron Mike

These are BY FAR, the two best and most comprehensive commercially available boxing DVD sets ever released. As you all will have noticed for years, the home video output by the sport of boxing as a whole, whether it be VHS or DVD, has always consisted of the same format, but with different fighters each time out. All we have been offered for years, are typically just a 45 minute run down of their career to date, and one or two full fights on the end, using Tyson as an example, you can bet your ass that they will be Tyson Vs Spinks, Vs Berbick, or Bruno. This is why I not only don't buy things from commercial outlets, but I don't even look to see if they have anything more comprehensive, as I know there won't be anything but the same stuff re-mixed and re-released.

The two DVD sets above were quite a rare treat. The Ali set includes 10 fights that are not against the usual names like Liston, Frazier or Foreman. Altogether there are 14 fights on it, and every fight has pre and post-fight extensive footage, and there are some Amateur scraps on it. The set also included the great film "When We Were Kings", a must watch. The packaging is splendid, and price wise, a fair price is something around

• Paid Members

Couldn't agree more. I've never got why they don't release more stuff. They're sitting on a shitload of footage they could make money off it doesn't make sense.

I'd love to see them do proper DVD's on specific fighters. I know there's some about but I'm talking WWE style 3 discers with a doc, fights, behind the scenes shit etc. There's so many boxers with crazy/interesting stories I'm sure they'd sell well.

Speaking of boxing DVDs, anyone seen this?

Julio Cesar Chavez: The Ultimate Mexican Hero

51kAPyrH7DL.jpg

I've been about to buy this a couple of times but read mixed reviews. Is it any good?