Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

What did his dad get sent away for?

It has been reported today that John Fury, the father of British heavyweight contender Tyson Fury, has been jailed for 11 years after being found guilty of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Former bare-knuckle fighter and professional boxer, John Fury, became involved in a fight with an old acquaintance at a car auction in July last year. The two had been old friends who had fallen out 12 years ago, and after an argument broke out they exchanged blows and 44yr old Oathie Sykes ended up blind in one eye.

Both men are from the Irish traveler community and had known each other well, but had apparently fallen out during a trip to Cyprus in the late 90

• Paid Members

Fury/Chisora did over 3millions views on Channel 5, massive number. Great news!

Fury/Chisora did over 3million views on Channel 5, massive number. Great news!

• Paid Members

Great numbers for Fury/Chisora. And the way the fight turned out it probably got some people into Boxing again. It wasn't pretty but it was all action and it was the kind of fight casual fight watchers would like.

And Amir Khan vs Erik Morales is all but a done deal for December.

Another legend on Khan's victim list most likely. Bit disappointed cos I'd rather have seen Khan vs Bradley but this will do. Morales is on the decline but he showed in his last fight with Maidana that he still has some fight in him and can still produce some exciting fights. I'm expecting Khan to win on points, possibly stop him in the later rounds.

• Paid Members
Khan would give anybody problems, that includes Mayweather. One writer from Boxing Monthly has been saying he would fancy Khan to beat Mayweather over Pacquiao

The primary logic behind that, in my opinion, is that Khan has that incredibly long jab, and closes the distance tremendously quickly between the first and second phase of his attacks. The jab being the most important factor here, not only because Khan has a great long jab, but also because for all of Mayweather's wizardry and amazing skills, he has an unusual amount of trouble against guys with a good jab, especially for someone as talented as he is.

Another legend on Khan's victim list most likely. Bit disappointed cos I'd rather have seen Khan vs Bradley but this will do. Morales is on the decline but he showed in his last fight with Maidana that he still has some fight in him and can still produce some exciting fights. I'm expecting Khan to win on points, possibly stop him in the later rounds.

In the Maidana fight, Morales was just able to use all of the skills that a cunning veteran fighter has learned in a lifetime of boxing, that allowed him to hang in there and more than hold his own. He "old man'd" his way through that fight

Different story with Khan, though, and I don't really want this fight to happen, as Morales is a modern great and it would be sad to see. I don't think he would get past the 5th round. Mainly because of the speed, both hand and foot. Morales was able to hang in with Maidana, because he could see where most of the punches were coming from and because Maidana does not have swift feet, Morales was able to smother his offense, tie him up and spin him around. Khan would unleash his blistering combo's and I don't think Morales will be able to defend against them, leading to the referee jumping in, not because Morales would be hurt much, but because of the speed making it look worse than what it really was. I think that would definatley be a fight where youth would win, and not really the better fighter. Like I say, I wouldn't want to see Morales go out like that, but I would sooner it be him than Marquez, as even though I've always been a fan of El Terrible, he hasn't exactly been the most respectful of guys, and sometimes he has even shown himself to be quite a classless piece of shit. So whilst I wouldn't be eager to see Morales get bashed up by a younger fighter, it wouldn't have the same depressing effect that it did when Khan won a TD over a blood-drenched Marco Antonio Barrera, a true nice guy in world boxing and one of my personal favourites, in a fight which had an uncanny resemblance to the first fight between Oscar De La Hoya and Julio Caesar Chavez.

Furys a heavy, do not really rate him but he is a great charachter, same as Chisora. He's in rubbish shape though.

At 6 foot 9, with his body composition and genetic make up, I don't think Fury will ever be able to box with the kind of technical skill and speed which other giants like Lennox Lewis, Riddick Bowe or Wladimir Klitschko have been able to do. He does have a decent amount of skills though, but I think he will always look quite ponderous no matter what his cardio levels are, thanks to his frame and proportions. Guys like Lewis, Bowe and Klitschko and even Michael Grant (just the main examples) were more or less the same sort of size as Fury is now, give or take an inch or two here and there, but they had the correct physical proportions and more importantly, were in possession of a body full of fast-twitch muscle fibres that allowed them to retain their speed, power and precision. Fury doesn't have these natural gifts, but I think he will still be moderatley successful, especially going by the current crop and potential future crop of heavyweights that might pop up in the next few years, and he's marketable to a certain extent, although he needs to be a little more modest sometimes, and providing he is moved properly in the coming years, he could possibly find himself in the right place at the right time, more than once.

Edited by Taylorslade

• Paid Members
In the Maidana fight, Morales was just able to use all of the skills that a cunning veteran fighter has learned in a lifetime of boxing, that allowed him to hang in there and more than hold his own. He "old man'd" his way through that fight

Different story with Khan, though, and I don't really want this fight to happen, as Morales is a modern great and it would be sad to see. I don't think he would get past the 5th round. Mainly because of the speed, both hand and foot. Morales was able to hang in with Maidana, because he could see where most of the punches were coming from and because Maidana does not have swift feet, Morales was able to smother his offense, tie him up and spin him around. Khan would unleash his blistering combo's and I don't think Morales will be able to defend against them, leading to the referee jumping in, not because Morales would be hurt much, but because of the speed making it look worse than what it really was. I think that would definatley be a fight where youth would win, and not really the better fighter. Like I say, I wouldn't want to see Morales go out like that, but I would sooner it be him than Marquez, as even though I've always been a fan of El Terrible, he hasn't exactly been the most respectful of guys, and sometimes he has even shown himself to be quite a classless piece of shit. So whilst I wouldn't be eager to see Morales get bashed up by a younger fighter, it wouldn't have the same depressing effect that it did when Khan won a TD over a blood-drenched Marco Antonio Barrera, a true nice guy in world boxing and one of my personal favourites, in a fight which had an uncanny resemblance to the first fight between Oscar De La Hoya and Julio Caesar Chavez.

Yeah Morales always came off as a bit of a nut, always preferred Barrera and Marquez both for how they fought and how they carried themselves but from an in ring point of view I couldn't seperate the 3 and the first and third Barrera/Morales fights are among my favourite fights of all time.

Still wouldn't mind seeing Marquez vs Morales, just to complete that 4 way of Pacquiao, Barrera, Marquez and Morales.

But yeah Khan will beat Morales. Just hope Morales makes a good fight of it again but like you say Khan will be a very tough fight being the younger, faster, fresher fighter.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
Yeah Morales always came off as a bit of a nut, always preferred Barrera and Marquez both for how they fought and how they carried themselves but from an in ring point of view I couldn't seperate the 3 and the first and third Barrera/Morales fights are among my favourite fights of all time.

Still wouldn't mind seeing Marquez vs Morales, just to complete that 4 way of Pacquiao, Barrera, Marquez and Morales.

But yeah Khan will beat Morales. Just hope Morales makes a good fight of it again but like you say Khan will be a very tough fight being the younger, faster, fresher fighter.

Barrera Vs Morales 1 is my favourite fight of all time, along with Hagler Vs Mugabi, Corrales Vs Castillo 1, Holyfield Vs Bowe 1, Gatti Vs Rodriguez, Gatti Vs Ruelas, Gatti Vs Ward 1, Pryor Vs Arguello 1, Pacquiao Vs Marquez 1....along with a few others.

One thing I will say about Morales, is that he's one of the very very few fighters that I've seen who could use the straight right hand, to the pit of the stomach, with effect. Tremendously hard shot to land, and to land without getting countered is even harder.

• Paid Members
Working my way through a Felix Trinidad career set just now. That guy was poetry in motion.

Dunno how far you are into it but look out for his fight with Fernando Vargas. Absolute blinder of a fight. I'd recommend Trinidad's fights with Ricardo Mayorga, William Joppy and David Reid too.

• Paid Members
Good discussion on this thread guys although some of it is way above my level of expertise so don't want to embarass myself but interesting to read none the less.

Working my way through a Felix Trinidad career set just now. That guy was poetry in motion.

Yeah, as Wandshogun said, the Vargas fight is a cracker, and the Mayorga fight is another of my personal faves. You gotta love Mayorga standing there begging Tito to hit him repeatedly, and then Tito granting him his wish with a couple of real solid cracks.

Also, I have to say, that I did not see why there was such a big controversy with Trinidad getting the decision over De La Hoya. I don't feel that Oscar was a winner in that fight at all. If someone was to watch the HBO broadcast of that fight as their first viewing, they would probably see DLH got robbed, and the same if they watched the HBO legendary nights. Personally, I think that is one of the most over-played "bad decisions" in boxing, as it wasn't a bad verdict at all.

• Paid Members

N

Yeah, have to echo what S&P had to say above me.

My question. Are there any decent "Boxing Manager" games for the PC? There used to be a ton of them for the old Amiga system. Thanks a lot!

Haha, i used to have one. No idea what it was called though. Im pretty sure theres some boxing manager online games.