Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

an absolute doozy this Saturday night:

Leo-Santa-Cruz-Carl-Frampton.jpg

it's on Boxnation here. Frampton's the underdog going in and if he can't put a dent in Santa Cruz early there's a good chance he gets outworked down the stretch, Santa Cruz has one of the biggest punch outputs in the game. Gonna be good.

My main man Paulie Malignaggi is on the undercard too.

Last Matchroom card of the 'season' in Leeds too...

058ee03566.jpg

Real solid looking card, lots of good competitive fights. Most looking forward to Dylian Whyte/Dave Allen. Whyte is a heavy favorite but Dave Allen is a shit talker and these two do not like each other.

oh and Adonis Stevenson is fighting Saturday, fucking hell, it's all happening.

Josh Warrington was offered a world title shot against Lee Selby but turned it down because the fight was too close to his wedding. He would rather piss about in these non-entity fights, bleed his Leeds faithful's pockets and then possibly step up and get his arse handed to him. Then take the Frankie Gavin spot of fighting against Eastern European bus drivers in the 7pm slot.

Leo Santa Cruz is the emperor's new clothes. Everyone talks about how great he is, then look at his resume & see who he's actually beaten in 32 fights. A majority decision against Abner Mares and that's it. Pretty poor for someone who's been world champion for four years. Carl Frampton can get the victory if he's smart and slippery to catch.

That's a harsh assesment of Warrington. This is a tough fight for him still. Warrington is a ticket seller and has an exciting style and a likeable personality. With Selby talking of moving up, he could win the vacant title, even if Selby doesnt move up and fights Warrington i think it could be a close fight but one Selby would win on points.

I've seen about the last 5 or 6 Cruz fights and he hasnt impressed me a great deal but his reach advantage should be key to beating Frampton. But this is definately a winnable fight for Frampton. I can see it going to the cards with maybe a couple of knockdowns along the way. Should be a great fight.

That's a harsh assesment of Warrington. This is a tough fight for him still. Warrington is a ticket seller and has an exciting style and a likeable personality. With Selby talking of moving up, he could win the vacant title, even if Selby doesnt move up and fights Warrington i think it could be a close fight but one Selby would win on points.

Eddie Hearn is one of the greatest promoters in boxing if people believe someone like Josh Warrington is any good. 4 stoppages in 23 fights against mediocre opposition is laughable in itself. What's exciting about watching someone with feather-duster fists lumber their way to a UD.

Maybe it's the always rabid crowd or his entrances what make his fights seem better than they are, but i always find his fights good to watch.

Looking forward to the Whyte fight, he looked poor last time out and seemed to just be swinging wildly for the KO. I have only seen clips of Allen, but from what ive seen and read, it should be good while it lasts.

A win for Frampton could catapult him to stardom in NYC i believe. They've set the Barclays centre up as an 8000 arena to avoid empty seats. At the weigh in it was all Frampton fans there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j4XH_0kEF_Q

• Paid Members

yeh Warrington's a good watch, the Leeds factor adds to it because the atmosphere at those events is easily the best in the UK. Not taking the Selby fight then taking this was frustrating though. Hyland is no taxi driver though.

The knock on Santa Cruz has that he's dodged people and taken easy fights, he's always come through when he's needed too though, we'll see how good he is tonight.

• Paid Members

It was a hell of a fight, i had Santa Cruz winning by a few rounds mainly due to workrate but it was very close. Next Frampton fight in Belfast will be huge.

...and Josh Warrington gets a stoppage, you spoke to soon Rossman.

The fears of the pro's taking part doesn't seem to have had any effect. They are all out. Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam & Amnat Ruenroeng both former world champions and they didn't get past the final 16. Ruenroreng even got stopped and he only lost his first fight this year.

• Paid Members

To say that Michael Conlon was upset today after "losing" to the Russian fighter is somewhat of an understatement. Calling AIBA fucking corrupt cheats live on Irish TV, and then tweeting Vladimir Putin to ask how much he paid them is an interesting way to start your professional boxing career.