Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Josh Warrington fights on Sky tonight too on another 'honking' Matchroom show. Will be worth tuning for Warrington's fight for the atmosphere alone, there truly is something special brewing up in those parts.

As for the PPV, i wont complain. The backlash has been horrendous but its hardly bank busting stuff (seriously get a few mates around and its like the cost of a pint each) and overall quality of the fights is very good. As a package i like it.

As for what Fox Piss said, i kind of agree. The quality on some of the shows can be poor but as is standard with boxing fight cards you find yourself watching showcases rather than competitive fights one after another

...having said that, i love how the UK boxing scene exists in its own world. With MMA fans its all about the UFC. The UK scene is completely irrelevant to 99% of MMA fans over here its UFC or nothing. With boxing the UK scene is thriving off its own back, the Leeds show tonight will be a perfect example of that, and being as invested in it as i am, its great fun to follow.

• Paid Members

Joshua isnt even on the PPV card, Johnson has pulled out so Joshua has been moved to the Birmingham card

He hasn't, its still on.

The Joshua fight in Brum is a warm up (pointless) fight.

Lee Quillan also a non title match as Quillan failed to make weight. Boxing is ridiculous at times.

That's brilliant. Peter Quillin is such a pussy, who's never fought anyone and gets cherry picked opponents. He had Korobov as his mandatory title defense but was too scared to face him so vacates his belt & loses a $1.4m payday. He gets a title fight against Andy Lee who's the new champion and can't even make weight for a title fight he doesn't deserve. And this fight had a $500k payday thats been cut to $375k. Smart business move.

• Paid Members

Derry Matthews might be a deserving World Title challenger, but the guy can't catch a break. Richar Abril has called off their World Title fight for a second time, Matthews now fights for an interim title, they origininally set up a fight with Ismael Barroso, advertised it, then that fell through now Matthews fights a guy named Tony Luis. What a fucking mess.

Anyone see PBC/Warrington last weekend?

• Paid Members

as well as the Derry Matthews fight, theres 3 big fights going on this weekend all on different shows:

Chavez-Fonfara-Banner.jpg

tumblr_nmod51iIPk1qkxd7zo1_1280.jpg

matthysse-vs-provodnikov-poster.jpg

now, if you're planning on watching one, it has to the Matthysse/Provodnikov fight which should be a FOTY contender, just two wild, heavy punching madmen. I'm quite fancying Provodnikov as we've seen Matthysse hurt and down before, but it's gonna be epic regardless.