Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The thing with Saunders is, whilst clearly being a bit of a cretin, he's no doubt genuine. He and Tyson Fury come from that gypsy background and they both have similiar traits. I imagine both guys are good guys if you know them but they are probably hell for anyone they dont get on with.

As a professional you've gotta reign it in and BJS is a PR persons nightmare but i personally like the nastiness, i love abit of bad blood.

...and i cant wait for this fight.

• Paid Members

BJS problem is that you can't take the pikey mentality out of him. It's the same with Tyson Fury. All the PR schooling in the world isn't going to help either of them. They will continue spewing forth profanity at the drop of a hat.

yep, like it or not, that kind of sums it up.

• Paid Members

well Golovkin did it again, KO'd Rubio in 2 rounds...the guy just had freaky power.

...and Nicholas Walters properly announced his arrival on the scene, KO'ing Nonito Donaire in 6 rounds in a belting little fight which Donaire was simply beaten up

before going out on his shield in round 6.

• Paid Members

it was but was a punch like that is never really questioned, Donaire missed a lunging left hook and Walter countered with a right hand, there was no way that was deliberate. It was kind of academic at that point anyway, Donaire was getting outjabbed and was losing the fight in general but whenever he opened up and tried to brawl (like the finishing sequence) he was getting smashed.

Good set of fights Saturday night. The Donaire vs Walters fight was good whilst it lasted, great shot from Walters at the end of the six to lay Donaire out face first, he did well to get up before the ten but the ref was right to stop it. Hopefully now we might get Walters vs Lomachenko so long as the latter comes through the defence of his WBO title next month against Piriyapinyo. Donaire looked good first few rounds, hurt Walters at the end of the second right before the bell, but physically he doesn't seem to have it at this weight against guys who are naturally bigger. Some of the commentators and studio guests kept talking that Donaire should either quit or drop down two weights to Bantamweight, rather then one down to Super Bantamweight all due to the fact he lost to Rigondeaux , which I find silly as there are big fights for him against Santa Cruz, Frampton, Quigg, fights where he can earn good money and ones where I'd make him the fav.

Kind of losing words to describe Golovkin at the moment. Rubio purposely came in overweight, made no attempt to run off so was bigger then usual but once he felt GGG power he didn't want to know. The sledgehammer shot Golovkin hit right on the top of the guys forehead to send him down as amazing. Rubio could have continued even though he didn't get up quickly enough, but he took the easy way out and saved himself from even more brutality that GGG would have dished out his way. I think it's got to the point now where Golovkin will have to move up to 168lbs to get the bigger fights that he craves. He wants Cotto next but I can't see it happening. Cotto is a fantastic fighter and no question about his heart but he has become a very smart businessman in the past couple of years and I can't see him risking a possible fight against Canelo Alverez next May by fighting Golovkin first, my hope is that the pride and ego in him and his trainer, Freddie Roach is enough to make it happen, but I'd be surprised if it is. I look at 154, 160 and 168lbs and I still feel the same as I have done over past two years, the only guy I can see who has a real chance at beating Golovkin is Ward but at the moment his career is in limbo.

• Paid Members

yeh there's no doubt Rubio stayed down on purpose. Golovkin just has strange power, he doesn't really wind up on his punches but he just destroys people, it' soul destroying power. Matthew Macklin was talking about it on Ringside last week, he said the shot that dropped him to the body didn't look like much but it broke two of his ribs and left him on the canvas for minutes.

• Paid Members

spoiled for choice tonight if you fancy watching a bit of boxing...

on Sky Sports:

poster_25.10.2014_Luke_Campbell_vs._Dani

Tommy Coyle vs. Michael Katsidis / Luke Campbell vs. Daniel Brizuela - main event is guaranteed fireworks, Katsidis is past his best but he'll always be a must-see fighter for me. Luke Campbell has by far his stiffest test also.

on Boxnation:

the_magnificent_seven_fight_again_poster

Frank Warren showcase card, pretty much a who's who of the fighters left in his stable, expect a couple of decent domestic fights, a few mismatches and a few decent scraps at the top of the card.

Or if you don't have them channels, Channel 5 has:

murray-spada-poster.jpg

Martin Murray vs.Domenico Spada / Stuart Hall vs. Randy Caballero - two big fights for the Brits. Stuart Hall has the chance to become a two time world champion, and Martin Murray fights to possibly set up a fight (execution?) against Gennady Golovkin - who'll be in attendance.

I love boxing.

I'm interested in the Matchroom card the most because of its competitive fights and Channel 5  because they have got another world title for Stuart Hall. FW is so irrelevant these days, 13 fights of pure, unadultered dullness. On top of that, most of his fighters have no knockout power, so all you get is a load of one sided UD's.

• Paid Members

well the Battle of Hull is on. Campbell & Coyle both came through very impressively and it sets up a massive fight in Hull next May at the KC Stadium.

I've never really been sold on Luke Campbell, but the sheer size difference and skill level was too much for Bezuela, he just couldn't get close. 

Sad to see Michael Katsidis whiped out like he was, but the guy fights like a warrior and he went out like a warrior. Coyle cleaned him out with a left hook counter.

Going from the what Curtis Woodhouse was saying on the broadcast i think you'd have to favour Campbell in the upcoming fight though, Woodhouse knows both and the confidence with which he said Campbell was the best Lightweight in the country led to be believe that he believed it foregone conclusion.

Big fights already being lined up for '15.