Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Broner took being a bell to a whole new level last night. There's that 'love to hate' thing in sports which is a good thing, but Broner is starting to lean more towards the fucking 'pure hate' category, what a nob.

I quite like Broner :blush:

Eastsideboxing Forum is in full flow today. Interestingly after last night most on the forum now think Manny would beat Floyd if they fought in 2014. I have seen previous polls on there that had Floyd winning handily. Fickle? Maybe.

Another thread was discussing how Floyd would get walloped by a prime Duran.

I do think the blueprint to beat Floyd is to pin him against the ropes consistently, and allow him no room to work. Maidana did a great job of that in the first half of the fight last night, and occasionally had moments in the second half. Something tells me if they do rematch, that Floyd will be able to avoid being pinned up on the ropes more, and will cruise to a clear-cut points win.

• Paid Members

I'd still have Floyd beating Manny. But no doubt Maidana has highlighted somewhat of a blueprint for success against Mayweather.

As for Mayweather vs Duran, I see the logic there. On paper you could see prime Duran having a similar approach as Maidana did last night, only Duran would be rougher and dirtier (ooh matron). Again though, I think Mayweather at his best has the skills to shut Duran at his best down. And I'm as big a Duran fan as you'll find.

I wonder if Floyd slightly underestimated Maidana. Or is Floyd finally starting to slightly slip? Or was it just a case of Maidana having the fight of his life? Could be a combination of two or all three.

I used to think that Tommy Hearns (in his prime) would be the ideal boxer to give Floyd fits (with his reach and such). Now I wish that Duran was about in his prime to face Floyd.

Another point is that Maidana was 20lbs heavier last night. If we look back, Oscar De Le Hoya was the last fighter to run Floyd close on the cards (it seems bigger men stand a chance with Floyd if they can rough him up a bit).

I am a bit more open to Manny having the tools to beat Floyd after last night. I would still pick Floyd to win, but I can now see a clear and logical route to victory for Pac Man if the fight ever happens.

Guys, i'm looking to maybe get a few career sets in to boost my boxing collection/knowledge. As I imagine a few of you have some decent collections so who do you think is worthy of a career set? I'm looking for guys with exciting styles but also has had several quality scraps over the years too.

Edited by lightningxlock

• Paid Members

Yeah, if it's an exciting style and great fights you're after, Gatti's your man. Can't go wrong with Nigel Benn, Pacquiao and Tyson either. Not many dull fights in any of their careers.

But yeah, I'd go for Gatti as a starting point. It's not just the Mickey Ward fights either. I've seen all but a small handful of Gatti's fights and I don't recall one bad one. The Gabriel Ruelas, Wilson Rodriguez and two Ivan Robinson fights are all fantastic. The Tracy Harris Patterson fights are good as well. And of course, the Ward trilogy. Even his early fights are either fun brawls or quick blowouts. The fucker was allergic to shit fights it seems.

Benn's career is similar. Hardly a dull fight to be found and a shitload of KOs to go with the Eubank, Watson and McClellan classics.

well Khan won't fight in September because of Ramadan, and that's when Mayweather wants to fight again so they mat do Mayweather/Maidana 2 then do the Khan fight in May next year.

The benefits of being religious, eh?

Mayweather: Right Amir, you all set for September? Big money, biggest fight of your career and all that jazz.

Khan: Nope, I have to go without food and sex for most of that period, an old book says so.

Mayweather: Really? Ah well, sucks to be you!

I give credit to Maidana, I didn't give him much hope but he bought the pressure, was dirty at times and tried to throw as many punches as possible. Mayweather seemed to be caught off guard and tried to fight Maidana fight which in the end he showed he could do and win. I had him winning by three and if there is a rematch I can only see Mayweather winning a lot more comfortably as not much difference Maidana can bring to the table.

Khan could train at night, Hamed done it before during Ramadan. He needs to be careful as he will have to wait till May 2015 to have a chance at getting Mayweather and that would mean having a fight beforehand around November or December time. Now you would think that would have to be against a higher ranked guy then Collazo was and that could spell Khan losing.

• Paid Members

Khan's problem with Ramadan is that he'll be fasting for a month. Don't think it's got anything to do with training, more that he'll be nowhere near full strength.

Khan's problem with Ramadan is that he'll be fasting for a month. Don't think it's got anything to do with training, more that he'll be nowhere near full strength.

He can still easily get six weeks of training in after Ramadan finishes. It's not ideal but he was out of the ring for over a year and if he is offered the fight in September he should take it. I'm not sure he even will to be fair as it looks more likely to make the rematch happen straight away, rather then delay it to make the Khan fight happen. If he has to wait till May next year, he can't not fight like he did last time and if he fights a proper live opponent he could come unstuck and never get that big pay day.

I don't think he deserves a shot at Mayweather due to a good win over a guy I wouldn't put in the top ten at the weight anyway, but we know you don't always get what you deserve and likewise sometimes you get what you don't deserve in boxing.