Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

in what way?

Pascal did some clowning and always seemed in control because Bute just couldnt pull the trigger, and the few times he did (before rounds 11 & 12) he got punished for trying.

If Bute started with the confidence and fearlessness he had in the last two rounds it would have been a very different fight.

Takam/Perez on the undercard was a strange one, for 5 rounds it was a complete stinker, then from 6 onwards Takam was on a mission. I think the draw was probably right from a scoring standpoint but Takam won the war. Bit of a setback for Perez who was about in line for a shot at a belt.

• Paid Members

Why stand for 40 seconds and let a guy punch you without response. Why do it so many times. You don't take it in turns. If that was the ref from the Froch v Groves fight then Pascal would have been stopped.

Bute does look a shadow of himself though.

• Paid Members

I'd love to see Froch vs Groves 2. The first fight was really exciting and there was enough controversy with the finish to really put some spice into the rematch.

2014 could be just as good as 2013 if some of these fights come off and deliver like you'd hope. I have no doubts on the result but I still can't wait for Mayweather vs Khan. I think that will be fun while it lasts. We've got Martinez vs Cotto in June as well. And Canelo vs Angulo in March.

I have no doubts on the result but I still can't wait for Mayweather vs Khan.

Khan does bring a new challenge at least, as Khan is very quick, plus you could contend that Floyd is not the biggest power puncher. Khan has been troubled by lighter punchers that Floyd. If Khan is to win/do well, he cannot be inconsistent with his work, he has to be at his very best all night, he cannot drift off or try and get drawn into silly games like he did with Peterson.

I like Floyd to win, probably by TKO, but there is enough there to get me excited.

• Paid Members

speaking of Peterson, he's back in action this weekend for the first time since being smashed my Matthysse:

peterson-vs-dierry_7d5df.jpg

Boxing's very much back on the cards now, there's a ton of good fights this weekend but their spread across a few shows, there's the fight above, HBO has the Mikey Garcia/Burgos fight, then on Boxnation from Germany is Huck/Arslan II which should be awesome because the first fight was great and Marco Huck doesn't do bad fights...David Price returns on that show too.

Looking forward to Pac/Bradley II.

Regardless of how the first fight went in terms of scoring and the guy getting his hand raised not deserving on the night, I can't see lightning striking twice, Pac to win again on points, only this time his name gets read out instead of Bradley when verdict announced.

Boxing News magazine did an article on their 20 most wanted fights of 2014.

20. Sergio Martinez vs. Gennady Golovkin @Middleweight

19. Marcos Maidana vs. Lucas Matthysee @Weltwerweight

18. Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury @Heavyweight

17. Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Vaysl Lomachenko @Featherweight

16. Marcos Maidana vs. Ruslan Provodnikov @Welterweight

15. Roman Gonzalez vs. Juan Francisco Estrada II @Flyweight

14. Amir Khan vs. Adrien Broner @Welterweight

13. Sergio Martinez vs Miguel Cotto @Middleweight

12. Vaysl Lomachenko vs Orlando Salido @Featerweight

11. Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Leo Santa Cruz @Jr Featherweight

10. Danny Garcia vs. Timothy Bradley @Welterweight

09. Wladimir Klitschko vs. Deontay Wilder @Heavyweight

08. Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao @Welterweight

07. Mikey Garcia vs. Yuriorkis Gamboa @Jr Lightweight

06. Scott Quigg vs. Carl Frampton @Jr Featherweight

05. Carl Froch vs. George Groves II @Super Middleweight

04. Miguel Cotto vs. Saul Alvarez @Jr Middleweight

03. Adonis Stevenson vs. Sergey Kovalev @Light Heavyweight

02. Manny Pacquiao vs. Ruslan Provodnikov @Welterweight

01. Floyd Mayweather vs. Gennady Golovkin @Middleweight

Stevenson vs Kovalev should be happening at some point for sure in 2014 as HBO put it in Stevenson's brand new contract with them, the rest if we could get say at least four out of the remaining 19 fights I'd be very happy with that. Hopefully 2014 in the sport can live up to what we saw in 2013.

Froch was on Ringside.

I remember now why I do not support him as much as other British boxers, the guy is full of himself, yet because he has a macho aura he gets away with it. There is no wink and a nod like there is with Floyd. He had a go about Groves complaining about the finish for the past 2 months, I would be pissed off if I was Groves. He bangs on about lacking motivation for a rematch, and does not acknowledge the success Groves had against him, instead just talks about how he "rallied late"

I do like him in general, but when guys like Haye and Khan get high amounts of shit of the British public and Froch does not, is baffling to me. The guy at times is a complete knob.

Edited by jimufctna24

The plot thickens

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/276757.html - Froch: Groves rejected 'seven-figure' rematch offer

Something tells me to take this with a huge pinch of salt.

And yes, Froch has gotten a bit of shit, but mainly the referee got more (and rightfully so). Froch has always said and done things questionable though, but unlike Haye and Khan seems to be given a free pass. He slagged off Khan for years for no decent reason (they do not fight in the same weightclass so it was not hyping a fight), says some things that are offensive like "I do not want to look at Groves because of his deficiency".

Plus, he is very easy to wind up, the fact he is still taking the bait of Groves makes him look silly, added to the fact Groves only started playing the wind up merchant after Froch acted like a prick to him when the fight was announced. With Groves, there is a nod and a wink to what is going on, he plays the slimy bastard, behind it all he seems a decent guy, he was very fast to make up with Adam Booth and seemed touched when the crowd cheered him in Manchester.