Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'm jealous. I'd love to have been at a fight like that. It's still on my to-to list to go and see a proper big fight in Vegas or somewhere.

Cheers Rossman, is that televised at all, do you know?

Cheers Rossman, is that televised at all, do you know?

It will air in Mexico, then I'm sure someone will upload it on Sunday or Monday.

Lee Purdy has been given the lucky break to face Devon Alexander on May 18th. Kell Brook will remain the no.1 mandatory challenger so will eventually face the winner. Purdy is ranked 4th by the IBF, the shot was originally offered to 3rd ranked, Kevin Bizier but he turned it down on the grounds of lack of fight preparation.

I've only been watching ESPN's Friday Night Fights for about a month but you consistently get good fights on there every week. Its like the undercard fighters who have decent records but are not ready to be on a main event show. Teddy Atlas and his pre-fight & post-fight analysis is pretty much spot on and he constantly rants on the judges when they produce a distorted scorecard.

You also get the up and comers facing off against the gate keepers of the divisions. Like undefeated Peruvian Jonathan Maicelo got schooled by Rustam Naugaev who had been out for like 18 months. The undefeated Puerto Rican bomber, Jorge Maysonet Jr met up with Gabriel Tolmajyan and got absolutely embarrassed. Expecting to see a big knockout, Maysonet couldn't land a punch, didn't move his body and lunged into shots which made him unbalanced and led to him getting hit.

This week they had on Javier Fortuna vs. Miguel Zamudio. Teddy said before the fight, it was a complete mismatch, Zamudio won't last long, he's going to get hurt. One minute in and Zamudio is already on the floor flapping his arms and legs around. Referee should of stopped it there but Zamudio foolishly said he was alright to continue. 30 seconds later and he got flat-lined.

fortuna2.gif

The last 10 minutes are Fury relentlessly hyping himself up, coming out with all kind of hilarious shit. "I'm tall, dark handsome, cool, calm, collected & super sexy!", "Steve Cunningham, the whole of Philadelphia and with every man in it, still couldn't beat me!"

• Paid Members

Tyson is entertaining and he's got heart, I will give him this.

He'll lose to Pulev, who is supposed to fight the winner. Kubrat Pulev is a tough muthafucker and while Cunningham was just too small Pulev goes six-four, two-fifty. He's going to come at Tyson, Tyson won't be able to keep him off and that will be a wrap for Tyson.

Edited by nfc90210

• Paid Members

Hughie Fury (Tyson's cousin) had his second pro fight on the card. Hughie is an eighteen year old heavyweight who is a former world amateur champion. He looks like a prospect.

Tyson is a big, hard cunt who likes to have a ruck, and while I am not sold on Tyson as someone who

Edited by nfc90210

• Paid Members

I can't stand Fury. That was an exciting fight though. I thought he was done on the knockdown at first but the replays showed it didn't really land flush, caught him a bit high on the face, if it hit the chin who knows, he'd probably have been a gonner right there. Good fight and a big come from behind finish. I loathe the big twat though. I just can't take to him, when he does finally catch a beating it will be very satisfying to see.

The Rule Britannia show on BoxNation was pretty enjoyable. I wasn't scoring the fights closely or anything because I had a house full, but I enjoyed everything, bar the awful Chisora fight at the end.

Cleverly vs Krasniqi and Walsh vs Harrison were both fun, albeit one sided fights. Krasniqi and Harrison were both game opponents. Paul Butler looked really good. Again, Chisora was shite. Looked like he couldn't be arsed to be there, I know he's had a layoff but fuck me, he just didn't seem interested at all. Good show all in all though.

I've Sky+'d the Canelo vs Trout fight. I'm fucked. Been up nearly 24 hours. Just about to watch Henderson vs Melendez and I'm hitting the sack.

• Paid Members

Fury's a weird one isn't he? the guy's clearly a couple a crisps short of a bag, but he's getting a reaction....pretty much every non-boxing fan i know knows who Tyson Fury is, and 90% of them think he's fucking terrible, but they all watch his fights. You could say the guy is trying to hard with all the antics but i just lap it up, love him or hate him he's one of the most entertaining guys in the sport.

As for the fight, fucking quality. Not all boxing needs to be technical brilliant, it was just a David vs. Goliath war, knockdowns, headbutts, brawling, Fury mugging off and dancing between rounds. I enjoyed it. I think everyone in the boxing world probably laughed when Fury got dropped in round 2, but you've gotta give the guy credit he gets and keeps going, he's one tough muthafucker. Props to Cunningham too for battling bravely despite some real physical disadvantages.

You can't help but feel Tyson's getting it once he meets a big heavy punching heavyweight, like nlc said, it could come next time out against Pulev (who ive never seen), but i'll be tuning in to see it.

As for the singing at the end :confused:

Cleverly/Krasniqui was decent, few rounds were really good especially when Cleverly decided to get involved but when he started to box he comfortably danced around Krasniqui. Clev's a bit of a frustrating watch at the moment, he clearly loves a scrap and wants to get involved in a slugfest but he's battling his coaches who sensibly wanna see him box, he shows glimpses of the all acion style that fans (i) wanna see but he does it then steps back away from it.

...i have him beating Bernard Hopkins.

The Derek Chisora fight was arguably the worst fight ive ever seen. The guy looked embarrased to be there, 9 rounds it took him to take out a guy who was clearly done after a round, this was shocking...thankfully it was on last so most people didnt see it.

Walsh/Harrison was alright too, especially whilst it looked like Harrison was gonna have a real go at it. I scored it 6-4 to Walsh (in rounds) which was closer than the judges had it, but i gave 2-5 to Harrison based purely on his aggression. Walsh was clearly the better guy over the distance though.

...and Paul Butler does look the business, first time id seen him last night, i'll be watching anything he's involved with going forward. I always find that with boxers, i hear names but it'll take me actually seeing something in them to make me wanna tune in to fight.