Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Did anyone see this weeks Ringside? It was a Eubank special, he does speak alot of shite and avoid answering alot of direct questions etc...but there were a few very interesting parts of the show. The first was his analysis of who was the best between Benn, Collins, Watson and himself - he did not answer directly but indicated he thought it was Watson and explained how he got schooled in their second tragic fight. Personally i think up until this fight Eubank was the best and was never the same after this bout.

Although Benn is my favourite fighter.

He seems to have a huge respect for all of them. The way he spoke about Collins was very interesting. He said he thought Collins was willing to die in their second fight, and he lost on merit, He said Collins headfucked him on their first fight, questioning by Eubanks heritage.

I havent watched the Eubank Collins fights in years, but he did say at one point in one of the fights he had him on the ropes and in trouble but could not pull the trigger because of what had happened in the past.

The best part of he show for me was when he was asked about his feed with Nas, at this point big Johnny, (although a legend, does get wet when anyone talks about anyone from the Ingle gym) had to struggle to contain himself. Apparently the fued stems from who was the first to jump the ropes the way they do. Eubank explained he started boxing in America around 83 and had never heard of Nas until years later. While Nas and Ingle had claimed that Eubank seen him doing it when he was young and Eubank copied this.

Eubank then said to them if you watch this fight.....

Eubank V Dosantos - 20 second knockout "including the count" you can see a young man in the crowd, no more than 15 years old, watching on in awe. Then Sky sowed a wicked close up and it was Nas standing there with his mouth wide open watching. You can sorta see him around the 14-18 second point walking to the stairs in the middle, but without the close u you cant really see shit.

Overall Eubank does seem a nice chap. He did try and hype a fued betwen his Son and Degale as well. Top show overall.

Edited by Mr Lawrence

• Paid Members

yeh it was quality, an hour really wasn't long enough. Eubank's breakdown of what boxing 'is' just baffled the fuck outta me, i didn't have a clue what he was on about :laugh:

Adam Smith tweeted after it saying that there's a Nigel Benn one coming up :)

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

ive said i wanna goto more boxing this year and that card is a prime example of a show i should be going too but i just got too much on in march :( George Groves and Derek Chisora are also on the bill.

Hoping to attend the Froch-Kessler fight if it happens in Nottingham.

oh Audleys having another crack at Prizefighter next month too.

• Paid Members
Burns to unify with IBF champ Vazquez in march. Cleverly will be chief support.

Good. I was going to rant about how i felt he was slacking by passing two fights in a 4 month time period when he looks to be in his prime. That being said if Broner beats Reevs (Reevs a tough fighter) and Burns beats and unifys then it will make Burns V Broner even bigger.

Cleverly on the other hand. Fucking tosser.

ive said i wanna goto more boxing this year and that card is a prime example of a show i should be going too but i just got too much on in march :( George Groves and Derek Chisora are also on the bill.

Hoping to attend the Froch-Kessler fight if it happens in Nottingham.

oh Audleys having another crack at Prizefighter next month too.

I think they will go to London for Froch-Kessler if it happens. I'm sure the deadline is tomorrow. Otherwise it Stevenson for Froch which could be risky (A bit like Cotto/Trout.)

• Paid Members
The Eubank Ringside Special

I love Eubank

Lovely. I'll watch this later. Eubank is brilliant. ITV should sack off that cunt Jeremy Kyle and give Eubank his job. I'd love to see him deal with the shellsuit clad, toothless odd-bods on that show.

Glad to hear they're doing one with Nigel Benn as well. I hope ithere's not too much religion talk though.

• Paid Members

Just watched the Ringside with Eubank. There wasn't really any new ground covered if you've read his (excellent) book but it was an hour well spent all the same.

Eubank V Dosantos - 20 second knockout "including the count"

The best bit of that was just after he said "the guy I knocked out in 20 seconds.....including the count" if you listen carefully he mumbles, with a shit-eating grin, "always a pleasure".

I love the bastard.

• Paid Members

few bits and pieces:

Kesser/Froch II is on for May 25th at th eo2 Arena...ima get saving.

Shane Mosely's retirement is over and he's challenging Pauli Malignaggi in April for his title despite not winning a fight in four years (and people say MMA's matchmaking is fucked).

and finally...

Steve Collins is going to be fighting Roy Jones Jr. some time in the near future :confused:, yes that Steve Collins.

• Paid Members

Fuck me.

Roy Jones vs Steve Collins is a fight I'd have loved to have seen in 1996. Collins would have been outmatched skill for skill but he had the kind of heart, toughness and fearless aggression that I think some of Jones' opponents back then didn't have. It would have been lively if nothing else.

In 2013 though? It's just a bit sad. I don't begrudge anyone doing what they enjoy and making some coin in the process and if these guys are going to get in there, I'd rather them fight each other than the young lions. But it makes for uneasy viewing. I always do watch and I dare say I'll watch this out of morbid curiosity. But I wish they'd leave their legacies alone. Mosley too, just stop.

Looking forward to Froch vs Kessler 2. They were on about that on the ITV Midlands news last night. I think Froch takes it this time. I'm hoping to go to that as well, funds permitting.

Edited by wandshogun09

Hopkins/Cloud also confirmed for IBF title at 175lbs as Hopkins bids once again to be the oldest world champ in history.

Hopefully Froch/Kessler II is at the O2, would prefer not to travel up to Manchester which is the other venue mentioned to watch it. Another explosive fight and I see Froch winning a tough points decision.

Burns/Vazquez is another fight which should be great. Hopefully the winner will go on to face Broner if he gets past Rees sometime this year.

It's a shame we won't get May/Pac but we will still be treated to some big, great fights.

• Paid Members

This is what i wouldn't mind seeing this year.

Heavyweights

So assuming both Klitschko are sticking around then i'd love to see Haye go at Wladimir. Ideally Fury fights Price in a massive summer fight but that ain't going to happen so Fury to step up his game and try go against one of the bigger boys. Helenius is there for the taking but i wouldn't be surprised to see a certain Derek becoming European Champion by year end.

Banks V Mitchell II on the Broner-Reevs undercard. Really exciting fight for me that one. Banks took out Golden Boys Heavyweight hopeful in November but Mitchell as a rematch clause.

Cruiserweights

Really strange division this one. Full of German based fighters who in 2012 provided great tough fights. Hard to get excited about this division though with the exception of Hernandez V Huck what would be a fight in demand? Wouldn't be surprised if Huck went and stepped up to H/W again.

Light heavyweights

Not the richest pool of talent but there some good fights within the top names. For starters it never helps when your pound for pound number 1 gets destroyed (Dawson/Ward.) It seems one of the bigger fights in the LW's will happen when Hopkins meets Cloud in March. So where does that leave that twat Cleverly? He as a mandatory fight first up but then who? Makes no sense to go back for Bellew, Pascal maybe?

Edited by Fox Piss

Fuck me.

Roy Jones vs Steve Collins is a fight I'd have loved to have seen in 1996. Collins would have been outmatched skill for skill but he had the kind of heart, toughness and fearless aggression that I think some of Jones' opponents back then didn't have. It would have been lively if nothing else.

In 2013 though? It's just a bit sad. I don't begrudge anyone doing what they enjoy and making some coin in the process and if these guys are going to get in there, I'd rather them fight each other than the young lions. But it makes for uneasy viewing. I always do watch and I dare say I'll watch this out of morbid curiosity. But I wish they'd leave their legacies alone.

I was getting nostalgia for 90's boxing the other day. Prince Naz, Eubank, Benn and Tyson all about.

But I am not that nostalgic to support this, I know he was obsessive about fighting Jones in the late 90's, but come this is more than a bit silly. Collins seems to get forgotten, whilst Benn and Eubank are remembered more despite Collins beating both. When someone says his name or when he comes on the TV, I always think "wow there is a blast from the past" with Naz, Eubank and Benn they hold up today.

Maybe its different in Ireland for Collins.

Sadly, I will watch as well, I bet Jones wins handily even though he is about 20% the man he was in his prime.

• Paid Members

I think Collins' legacy suffers a little bit in that, although he was a good fighter and beat Eubank and Benn twice each, people see him as a bit fortunate he caught them at the tail end of their careers. And in the case of Benn, the very end when he was a shell of himself post-McClellan.

He deserves credit though, he could only fight what was put in there with him and he was the man to hand Eubank his first loss. Benn and Eubank certainly give him credit so if they do, the fans should as well in my book.

To answer your last line. He is loved in Ireland and seen as a bit of a legend. Nothing like McGuigan level but he's respected and loved there. At least in the parts I've been to when visiting my Dad's side of the family. My Dad's cousin knows how big a fan of Benn and Eubank I am (Benn especially) and he takes great pleasure reminding me a Paddy beat them both.

I certainly see him as the least talented of the UK's big 4 90s middleweights - Eubank, Benn, Watson, Collins. But he made his mark.

• Paid Members

the Collins 'era' is a little hazy to me, i remember the whole hypnosis thing when it happened and remember the fights with Eubank and Benn but i haven't seen them since they happened.

Without being arsed to look it up was there any specific reason that Collins retired relatively young? whilst riding a big winning streak?