Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

People like the hype before a fight and we all know stupidity sells. Morally the fight isn't right after what happened, but things like this have happened before and will happen again. The build up beforehand will be more exciting then the fight itself. Haye will just use his superior boxing skills to keep Chisora at bay and win a wide points decision.

Yeah, I know it'll sell, and I'll watch it as I'm a combat sports hardcore fan, but I wouldn't be forking out to see it on PPV, that's for sure. I already have BoxNation so I'll see it through that.

People like the hype before a fight and we all know stupidity sells. Morally the fight isn't right after what happened, but things like this have happened before and will happen again. The build up beforehand will be more exciting then the fight itself. Haye will just use his superior boxing skills to keep Chisora at bay and win a wide points decision.

You think? I see Haye by knockout. I see Chisora letting his heart rule his head and Haye will catch him like he did Enzo all those years ago.

The one thing I don't question about Chisora is his chin. The guy can take a punch and I'd be amazed if Haye knocked him out. I think something we can all agree with about Enzo is his chin has been gone since that Haye fight. Enzo likes to fight with his head up, Chisora has a good defence, keeps his gloves up high and chin low. It be spectacular if Haye could knock him out.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Chisora has a chin like Enzo, not in the slightest. More I can see him approaching the fight in a similar way. Any news on the final undercard or is there still a load of TBAs?

• Paid Members

They were gonna do the Povetkin/Rahman fight on the undercard but it's been moved to Germany I think.

Liam Walsh vs Domenic Urbano is on there though. And Frankie Gavin is fighting Ronnie Heffron in a bit of a weird one considering Gavin used to be with Heffron's sister and had a kid with her. So Gavin is fighting his child's uncle. Bit fucked up that.

Not sure on the rest, TBA city from what I can tell.

Yeah, I know it'll sell, and I'll watch it as I'm a combat sports hardcore fan, but I wouldn't be forking out to see it on PPV, that's for sure. I already have BoxNation so I'll see it through that.

I have it too and kept it another month with this fight in mind. Not much I would shell out for on PPV nowadays, you remember the Haye/Harrison build up/complete nonsense/fight? I think majority of us knew what would happen but it still sold loads, I gotta give Haye his due, he does know how to sell a fight.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Chisora has a chin like Enzo, not in the slightest. More I can see him approaching the fight in a similar way

I can see him approaching it similar but he always keeps his chin down, one thing about Enzo is he would stand tall and leave his chin hanging.

They were gonna do the Povetkin/Rahman fight on the undercard but it's been moved to Germany I think.

Rahman had to have surgery so pulled out of the fight. It might happen again sometime before the end of the year, but who knows at this stage.

• Paid Members

Oh right, cheers. Didn't know it was off altogether.

The undercard situation is something that's always frustrated me about Boxing. It's all up in the air right until the last minute most of the time. I know with a fight like this they could put Les Dennis vs Paul Daniels on the undercard and it wouldn't really matter, it will sell regardless on the strength of the main event. But it would be nice to have the full card announced a bit further out. It can't be that difficult they've had months to get it sorted.

edit - actually Les Dennis vs Neil Morrisey would be better. Revenge match for Les. Between that and Haye/Chisora it would be a real night of grudges.

Edited by wandshogun09

The undercard situation is something that's always frustrated me about Boxing. It's all up in the air right until the last minute most of the time. I know with a fight like this they could put Les Dennis vs Paul Daniels on the undercard and it wouldn't really matter, it will sell regardless on the strength of the main event. But it would be nice to have the full card announced a bit further out. It can't be that difficult they've had months to get it sorted.

edit - actually Les Dennis vs Neil Morrisey would be better. Revenge match for Les. Between that and Haye/Chisora it would be a real night of grudges.

It's just typical with boxing, we rarely have a card under the main event that interests us. I'll admit I could less about Povetkin/Rahman not being on the card, yet if it was a UFC card I'd be bothered.

• Paid Members
It's just typical with boxing, we rarely have a card under the main event that interests us. I'll admit I could less about Povetkin/Rahman not being on the card, yet if it was a UFC card I'd be bothered.

Yeah it's rare alright but there's been the occasional corker of a card over the years. In recent times, the Mayweather vs Cotto card was pretty sweet with Canelo vs Mosley underneath it.

But one that always springs to mind for me when thinking of stacked Boxing cards is this one;

14853.jpg

Revenge: The Rematches (May 7, 1994) (Don King Productions/Showtime)

Gerald McClellan vs Julian Jackson 2 -WBC Middleweight Title

Simon Brown vs Terry Norris 2 -WBC Light Middleweight Title

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Frankie Randall 2 -WBC Light Welterweight Title

Azumah Nelson vs Jesse James Leija 2 -WBC Super Featherweight Title

And they also had Meldrick Taylor vs Chad Broussard and a Ricardo Lopez vs Kermin Guardia title match on the undercard. That's a crazy lineup. You had Chavez coming off the first loss of his career after going unbeaten in 90 fights, and rematching the guy who beat him. And McClellan vs Jackson rematching after a brutal war the first time.

And it didn't just look good on paper, the fights delivered aswell. I thought Nelson vs Leija 2 was the best of their four fight series.

Edited by wandshogun09

Revenge: The Rematches (May 7, 1994) (Don King Productions/Showtime)

Gerald McClellan vs Julian Jackson 2 -WBC Middleweight Title

Simon Brown vs Terry Norris 2 -WBC Light Middleweight Title

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Frankie Randall 2 -WBC Light Welterweight Title

Azumah Nelson vs Jesse James Leija 2 -WBC Super Featherweight Title

unbeleiveable card, thanks for that wouldnt mind watching the whole show start to finish if i can hunt it down!

i think Haye will maybe get Chisora out of there late, but you never know. Del Boy looked better than anyone i can think of recently against Klitschko.

Edited by HeavyT

I would pay to see Daniels getting a well deserved thwacking! I was gutted when the Robbie Williams v Liam Gallagher never came off! By coincidence i was wondering today if Vince would have turned up on the WCW PPV when Bischoff offered him out, How it would have panned out? Bischoff has age on his side + martial arts, But what about a pissed off, Roided up McMahon fighting for the very future of the WWE?.....Interesting.

• Paid Members
unbeleiveable card, thanks for that wouldnt mind watching the whole show start to finish if i can hunt it down!

Yeah I've never seen the whole thing either. Of the four main fights I've seen all but Brown/Norris.Tremendous card. There's been other cards they've stacked up similarly in the past aswell, I'll post some later if I remember.

As for Haye vs Chisora, I fancy Haye on points. Chisora gave a very good showing against Vitali though, and Helenius where he got robbed. But Haye's different to them guys and I think his speed and movement will win him this one. Chisora can look a bit plodding at times.

All that said, Chisora's been a lot more active than Haye the last year or so. A freak talent like Mayweather can get away with fighting once a year but who knows with Haye. It shouldn't effect him, he's intelligent enough and will put the training in but Chisora could benefit from pretty much constantly training for fights this year.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

if anyone's thinking about getting Boxnation for the fight next week, The Sun got an offer on, if you goto the the Boxnation website and enter the code SUNBOXING when you sign up you get two months for

Speaking of Haye, I would highly suggest people track down Making Haye by Elliot Worsall, its a objective view on Haye's pro career from one of his closest friends, and covers everything from the Carl Thompson loss to the Wlad loss.

From strip club to falling out with Adam Booth, it kept my attention throughout its 400 pages.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Haye-Author...3628&sr=8-2