Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Add me to the list too. The commentary was the worst i have ever heard without a shadow of a doubt. You could not honestly get a more biased pair. They no sold everything Cotto was doing and no doubt the fight was excellent but those 2 took away so much.

Who was the ring announcer ? Michael Buffer or Jimmy Lennon Jr ? If it was Buffer did he phone in his performance like has has done for the last few years ? For me Bruce has become the better announcer in that family in the last few years. Michael turns up and doesn't seemed arsed most of the time.

• Paid Members

it was Bruce. I always wonder what he gets paid to come out of his box and roll off his schtick everytime there's a big fight. I still love it though :)

The commentary was hilariously biased. They were acting like Mayweather won every round easily, whereas when Shane Mosley was eating hard punches all night long, they were talking about how his performance was reminiscent of the old Mosley, and how an upset could be on the cards. I reckon they'd had a few.

I fucking love Floyd.

Great fight, I scored 9 rounds to Floyd, 1 even and 2 for Cotto. One thing about Mayweather fights is, they are all spectacles. You are not going to find pop culture stars like Justin Bieber or 50 Cent at just any old shite. WWE only feels like a it is excepted by the mainstream at Wrestlemania, with Floyd it is every time he fights.

The commentary was indeed one sided, it was at its worst in the middle rounds. Cotto may have come out with people rating him a bit better than did before hand. He really did give it a good go, he did a lot better than Marquez and Mosley that is for sure. The closest anyone has got to beating Floyd since Oscar in 2007.

If Pac Man and Floyd fight, I think Floyd will win. If Pac Man beats Bradley, which is far from certain I think it could happen, there is only Knan or Peterson left for the both of them with Alverez saying he is not ready. I guess there is Marquez for Pac, but I could live without that to be honest.

• Paid Members

I love Michael Buffer. Bruce has never been a patch on him as a ring announcer for me. I like Bruce but his shouty voice gets annoying for me after a bit, Michael's got the perfect announcers voice. And "It's Time" is so cack compared to "Let's get ready to rrrrrrrrrrrumbllllllllllllle".

Michael Buffer's a legend. Even if he does think Bret Hart's last name is Clark.

Glad I'm not alone on the Box Nation commentary. It was utter shit. Even in the studio after they brought it up with Paul Smith rightly saying it was too cheerleaderish.

Oh and if anyone's interested ESPN Classic are showing some good stuff this week. Holyfield vs Moorer, Foreman vs Moorer, Mayweather vs Gatti. And 2 of my personal favourites, Holyfield vs Foreman from 91 and the Gatti vs Ward 3. Look out for them if you haven't seen them.

EDIT

Set you're Sky+'s. Just seen that next Saturday night ESPN Classic are showing that Joe Frazier film we were on about being in production a few months back, "When The Smoke Clears'. It's said to be really good, it's Frazier's life story, not just the Ali fights but everything and I think this is the first time it will have been shown over here.

They're gonna sandwich it between the first and third Frazier vs Ali fights which are always worth a watch as well.

Edited by wandshogun09

I love Michael Buffer. Bruce has never been a patch on him as a ring announcer for me. I like Bruce but his shouty voice gets annoying for me after a bit, Michael's got the perfect announcers voice. And "It's Time" is so cack compared to "Let's get ready to rrrrrrrrrrrumbllllllllllllle".

I always used to love Michael Buffer as a ring announcer and I think in his prime there is no-one better but in the last couple of years he seems like he has really just phoned it in. I love the enthusiasm that Bruce Buffer brings he can make the under card of a UFC C-Show sound like the most important fights of all time. He builds up the Main Events so much that the crowds are so hyped up for the fights once he has finished. It is a shame that his catchphrase is nowhere near as good as Michael's.

Bruce>Current day Michael

But

Classic Michael>everyone

;)

• Paid Members

Anyone seen the HBO feed, interested to hear how they interpreted the fight. Ive tweeted Warren asking to never use that commentary team again, haha it really fucking annoyed me. I aint so sure Warren has much choice, he probably pays for the feed, i domt think it was necesarrily a boxnation team.

Anyone seen the HBO feed, interested to hear how they interpreted the fight. Ive tweeted Warren asking to never use that commentary team again, haha it really fucking annoyed me. I aint so sure Warren has much choice, he probably pays for the feed, i domt think it was necesarrily a boxnation team.

The HBO feed gave Cotto credit for giving Mayweather "his toughest fight since Corrales", and said that even though they didn't think he did enough to win the fight, he certainly didn't heap shame upon himself.

The only negative person on the telecast was Emanuel Steward, but we most likely know the reasons for that.

• Paid Members

Yeah I've watched the HBO version since and it's much better from a commentary point. They were rightly singing Floyd's praises but they gave Cotto a lot of credit too which he totally deserved. The HBO guys can be negative shits sometimes but I find them more balanced on the whole usually. I don't mind the Sky commentators but Jim Watt annoys me at times. But Box Nation's announcers were fucking awful Saturday night though, no two ways about it. Warren needs to sort that out. The coverage was great but the commentators were the one big negative on an otherwise great night of boxing viewing for me.edit - I think you mean toughest fight since Castillo David. Easy mistype.Floyd proper schooled Corrales. It was one of his most complete and dominating performances for me alongside the demolition job on Gatti.Castillo ran Floyd super close the first time they fought though. It's remembered as one of the most controversial decisions in the last 10 years. I haven't seen it in years but I remember thinking it could have gone to Castillo.I think I'll watch it again soon, if for nothing else than Larry Merchants outbursts during the fight about the actions of the ref.found one Merchant quote from the fight

"Now why was the referee in there breaking them up? They had broken themselves up, and they were ready to keep fighting." (Drakulich breaks them again, and tells them to 'calm it down') "What do you mean 'CALM IT DOWN?' It's a FIGHT! Referee's tellin' two fighters who wanna fight to CALM IT DOWN? HE should calm down! Nobody paid to see this referee!"

Calm down Larry, we've all had a drink. Edited by wandshogun09

Haye vs Chisora is on for July 14th at Upton Park. Fight sanctioned by the Luxembourg Boxing Federation because neither hold a British boxing license. From Warren's comments it looks like its going to be shown on BoxNation.