Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

I watched, was a decent night. I think Huck Pvetin was very close and could have gone either way, also watched lee mcallister on sky sports, man that was shameful. If you havent hgeard aleady, the general feeling is he was getting his arse handed to him and fabricated a broken hand story to retire at the end of the seventh. Hes delusional, calling for a rematch for possibly MORE money. If you check the Sun, his manager called him washed up, and Frank Maloney said hell never fight on Sky again lol

Dereck Chisora given indefinite ban by World Boxing Council.

Oh well, theres still the WBO, IBF, WBA regular/interim/super for him to go for :rolleyes: If they dont withold it from his purse, he shouldnt bother paying any fines. WBC are a commercial entity not the boxing police, and hypocrites at that. If Chavez Jr. had done this, an indefinite ban would have been out of the question.

• Paid Members

Been watching some Gatti stuff lately. The Gatti fights I've got have probably had more re-watches than any other fighter's stuff. Anyway, I hadn't seen this one before.

Arturo Gatti vs Joey Gamache from Madison Square Garden

This was in a re-building phase of Gatti's career. He was coming off the 2 decision losses to Ivan Robinson, both were brilliant fights but losses. And having lost to Angel Manfredy on cuts before the 2 Robinson losses he was on a 3 fight losing streak and in a shitty place career wise. He was still mega popular but he needed wins badly.

So they matched him up with an easy opponent Reyes Munoz. After the weigh ins, Gatti came in much heavier than Munoz on fight night and KO'd him in a round. Munoz was stretchered out and never fought again.

His second fight into his comeback was Gamache. He was a better opponent, he had 50 odd wins and had fought Julio Cesar Chavez. Again Gatti came in as the much bigger man after the weigh ins, and after knocking Gamache down twice in round one, this happened early in round 2

gatti_gamache.gif

One of the most brutal knockouts I've ever seen. Gamache never got up for ages and he also never fought again after this loss.

I've been watching a load of Gatti recently and I don't know if there was ever a more exciting boxer, at least that I've seen anyway. I must have seen most of his fights now and I'm still yet to see a bad one.

Also been reading the Teddy Atlas book the last few days. I'm not that quick of a reader but I'm flying through it, great book. Teddy's had a really interesting life and not just in boxing. Usually with autobiographies by boxers, MMA fighters and pro wrestlers I often get bored if there's too much outside the ring/personal life stuff. But in this case there's plenty of boxing info but his life story is just as interesting. His early life reads like a script from the Sopranos and there's some funny stories and some sad stuff about his family in there.

The stuff on young Mike Tyson and the Cus D'Amato relationship is fascinating as is the later stories on Michael Moorer's fights with Holyfield and Foreman. And the story of him wanting to shoot Donnie LaLonde was crazy.

You can get it pretty cheap on Amazon. Haven't even finished it yet and I highly recommend it.

Great post with regard to Gatti. He has to be one of the mst exciting fighters ever. I love it at the end of Gatti Ward 3 when they are getting interviewed together and Ward refers to him as Jason of Friday the 13th. I'm currently looking through loads of Gatti stuff on you tube. It kind of shows how good Flyod was-is, that Gatti could not lay a glove on him. That fight was a brutal one sided affair.

I struggle with boxing autobiographies as, like you say they have alot of childhood stuff what many readers are not really interested in and they lack the drink and drugs scandal of wrestling books which i am so used to. I enjoyed Nigel Benns book and have read books on Liston and Duran which were not self biographies but books about them which were very good.

Just watched 45yr old Skelton beat Dallas - he looked ok actually.

Also Jamie Mcdonell just won quite easily, hes one of my favourite british fighters at the moment, so down to earth. Loved the segment on Ringside on him - even if he does like One Direction and sunbed regularly.

Waiting for Wladimer to destroy Mormeck, i expect a second half stoppage with Mormeck not winning a round.

Mormeck was a joke, he should never have been in the same ring as Wlad to begin with. Wlad against David Price in the future will be good because I think Price has a great chance of not only winning the fight but also knocking klitschko out.

Edited by C/WMark Please!

Mormeck was a joke, he should never have been in the same ring as Wlad to begin with. Wlad against David Price in the future will be good because I think Price has a great chance of not only winning the fight but also knocking klitschko out.

What actually makes you think that? far too early to tell, and Price is said to have a dodgy chin (a few amateurs have told me this)

• Paid Members

I just wanna see Price fight Tyson Fury for now, despite all the hassle recently hopefully they'll get that one sorted at some point. It's too early to even talk about him fighting a Klitschko for me yet.

• Paid Members

The Skelton-Dallas fight was a mugging, i just felt sorry for Dallas by the end of it, ive never seen anyone look so demoralised during a fight.

Always had a soft spot for Skelton though, so i loved it! He's gotta be a nightmare to fight.

I decided to stay up late to watch the Lopez Vs Salido fight and man am I glad I did! Back and forth all fight with both men giving it their all and a vicious combo to end it all! Round 9 is one of the best rounds of boxing I have seen in a LONG time. Seriously, a contender for MOTY.

• Paid Members

Yeah it was a great fight, I rewatched Salido/Lopez 1 a few days ago which was a war aswell. That old saying about sequels never living up to the original is wrong in this case. I loved it, early FOTY candidate.

Somehow the judges had Lopez ahead at the time of the stoppage :confused: I didn't think he won more than 3 rounds at the most myself but like most great fights I got caught up in it and wasn't scoring too closely. Have to rewatch it.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I was bored and had sometime today, and was in a curious mood. So, I went to Wikipedia and looked up their list of Ring Magazine Heavyweight Champions. I know using Wikipedia has risks, but the list looked accurate. I then went to Box Rec and looked up the career KO percentages of the men on that list. I then put all that information into a spreadsheet; it took all of about ten minutes.

Jack Dempsey was the first Ring Magazine champion.

Anyway, below is a list of the career KO percentages of the men who have been Ring Magazine Heavyweight Champion. The man with the highest percentage of KOs is first. The list is accurate as of today (11 March, 2012).

1.) Rocky Marciano (87.76)

2.) Vitali Klitschko (86.96)

3.) George Foreman (83.95)

4.) Wladimir Klitschko (83.33)

5.) Mike Tyson (75.86)

6.) Joe Louis (74.29)

7.) Joe Frazier (72.97)

8.) Lennox Lewis (72.73)

9.) Sonny Liston (72.22)

10.) Primo Carnera (69.9)

11.) Michael Spinks (65.63)

12.) Max Baer (64.2)