Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

On that Benn/McClellan doc, Buncey posted this on East Side

I will be running an exclusive clip from this on Monday's BoxNation show. I will also have Kevin Lueshing in studio to talk about it.

Adios.

Great stuff. Can't wait to hear more about this on the Bunce Hour.

Finally, that's great news. I've been hearing about documentaries in the works for a couple of years now but nothing was happening, I even emailed ITV a few months back but they said they had no plans for it.

Good to see this story is gonna be told. I knew about the reunion but only seen this picture

mccleland.jpg

Be interesting to see the footage.

Cheers for posting that Gooner. You were in attendance at the fight? That must have been a mental atmosphere.

I know they have a few more planned but when they end up coming out is anybody's guess.

I'm sure that picture is from 2007 and they will show bites and pieces of what happened as they were all together for the first time since the tragedy and raising money for McClellan.

It was a crazy night for so many different reasons. Back in those days you live off family/friends taping boxing for you, buying Boxing News every week and watching old school fights in the early hours of Sunday morning on ITV, or on the Wednesday on BBC's Sportscene show. It was the second fight I had ever watched live in person at that stage, first was Lewis Vs Ruddock in 1991. The atmosphere before both fights was great, but the circumstances of the Benn/McClellan fight when it came to basically Benn being finished in round one, somehow surviving, coming back and then looking like he might get stopped again, to him forcing the stoppage is easily up there with one of the most dramatic fights in history. I had only seen McClellan two times on video before the Benn fight and his stoppage of Julian Jackson had me in awe, I mean he destroyed him, the power was scary and Jackson was such a banger himself. I have never watched the fight on replay again, same with Eubank/Watson 2. I'm gonna check this out as I want to see/hear everything surrounding before and after what happened.

You got any ideas on what they might show next in terms of documentary's? Considering what they will and will not have the rights to i'm thinking Eubank/Watson possibly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lpS8r-69ZI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYwwmBbyBY

cotto margarito 24 7 ep 1

great episode, pumped up for the fight and Murray v Rios on the undercard.

Margarito is a cheating cunt but looks a badass, looks like an extra from Carlitos Way. Cotto looks cool as fuck as well. Should be a war. The first fight was wicked.

• Paid Members
You got any ideas on what they might show next in terms of documentary's? Considering what they will and will not have the rights to i'm thinking Eubank/Watson possibly.

Maybe but I'm not sure they will do that story at the minute because there was that Watson doc recently on Sky Sports for the 20th anniversary of Eubank/Watson 2.

This is the one, good doc if you haven't seen it

Are they deffo gonna be doing more boxing docs then? Maybe something on Henry Cooper? Even Bruno or Lennox Lewis maybe? They've already done Benn/Eubank with the Clash of the Titans doc so they probably won't do another one for them.

• Paid Members

Good news for Virgin customers, this email from BoxNation has been doing the rounds

We've brought you as much fighting as we can (and there's been some great fights - Cleverly v Bellew, Groves v Smith, Burns v Katsidis, we could go on

lets hope this all gets sorted out and the fight goes ahead

If his eye problems are as serious as they sound in your post he'd be crazy to fight at all. Risking your sight? Fuck that man.

On the Virgin Media situation, it's about fucking time! :D

• Paid Members

Just read that Ron Lyle has died at the age of 70.

20111127.101446_ron-lyle.jpg

Really sad news, what a shit year for boxing. Joe Frazier, Henry Cooper, George Benton, Gary Mason, Butch Lewis and now Ron Lyle have all died this year just off the top of my head, and I know for sure I'm still forgetting some.

Lyle was a very good boxer and known as an extremely hard hitter. George Foreman once said "he hit me so hard it didn't even hurt".

Check out his fights with Ali, Earnie Shavers and deffo the Foreman fight. One of the most exciting, wild heavyweight brawls in boxing history.

Here's Lyle vs Foreman

RIP Ron Lyle

Just read that Ron Lyle has died at the age of 70.

20111127.101446_ron-lyle.jpg

Really sad news, what a shit year for boxing. Joe Frazier, Henry Cooper, George Benton, Gary Mason, Butch Lewis and now Ron Lyle have all died this year just off the top of my head, and I know for sure I'm still forgetting some.

Lyle was a very good boxer and known as an extremely hard hitter. George Foreman once said "he hit me so hard it didn't even hurt".

Check out his fights with Ali, Earnie Shavers and deffo the Foreman fight. One of the most exciting, wild heavyweight brawls in boxing history.

Here's Lyle vs Foreman

RIP Ron Lyle

Always loved that Lyle-Foreman fight. The absolute definition of the term "slugfest".

Ran Ali close in their fight as well- looked to be ahead on points and Lyle corner loudly complained the stoppage came prematurely.

Does anyone know what the situation is with Box Nation for Sky customers? My brother reckons he rang up Sky to keep the channel on and he was told you got to do it via the Box Nation website, but has emailed them and had nothing back at all. Cheers.

Click the 'Sky' link on this page and it takes you through to the ordering page. Payment is through PayWizard, which I think is a bit like paypal, onlyit means you can't cancel before the first 6 months are up.

• Paid Members

23-1 featherweight prospect Matt Remillard just got sentenced to five years after pleading no-contest to first-degree assault.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/72941...ecticut-beating

Updated: November 29, 2011, 2:48 PM ET

Matt Remillard gets 5 years in prison

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Featherweight boxer Matt Remillard was sentenced to five years in prison Tuesday for fracturing a Connecticut man's skull with an aluminum baseball bat last year in what police say was a fight over a woman.

The 25-year-old Remillard didn't speak during the hearing in Hartford Superior Court, and he was led out of the courtroom by marshals to begin serving his sentence. He pleaded no contest to first-degree assault in September in exchange for the five-year term.

"Matt, by accepting this plea, has given up his career," said Kevin O'Brien, one of Remillard's lawyers. "This is just a tragedy."

Remillard, a two-time under-19 national amateur champ from Manchester, Conn., was climbing toward the top of the featherweight rankings before losing to Mikey Garcia in March, dropping his record to 23-1. Remillard had held the featherweight titles of the North American Boxing Federation and the North American Boxing Organization before losing to Garcia.

The victim, 22-year-old Jordan Evans, described a harrowing ordeal in his January 2010 encounter with Remillard.

Evans said Remillard pummeled him with the bat several times at a home in Marlborough, about 15 miles southeast of Hartford. Evans said he managed to run outside, get in his car and lock the doors, but he didn't have the keys and was trapped. Remillard then went berserk, smashing the car with the bat numerous times and threatening to kill Evans and his family, the victim said.

After the attack, doctors had to reconstruct the top front of Evans' head. Doctors inserted eight plates and 30 screws, then used 150 stitches to close an ear-to-ear incision they made on the top of his head to fix the damage. He said he still has pain and double vision.

"I have suffered through insurmountable pain," Evans told Judge Elpedio Vitale. "This is something that will haunt me for the rest of my life."

Evans said Remillard should have gotten a much longer prison sentence and he called the five-year term "a gift." He and his parents also criticized prosecutors for dropping criminal charges against three other people in the attack.

The assault happened at the home of Danielle Napolitano, Evans' then-girlfriend and Remillard's ex-girlfriend.

Police say Evans secretly followed Remillard as he drove to Napolitano's home, then the two got into a fight. Evans said he left but returned later that night at the request of Napolitano, who told him that she was alone. Evans claims Napolitano set him up for an ambush.

William Gerace, another lawyer for Remillard, said Evans wasn't as innocent as he portrayed himself. Gerace said Evans "stalked" Remillard and escalated the argument by punching Remillard during their initial confrontation.

Napolitano was charged with conspiracy to commit assault in connection with the beating. Her brother, Adam Napolitano, and her cousin Richard Napolitano Jr. were charged with assault, conspiracy and criminal mischief. Prosecutors agreed to drop the charges against all three because of their cooperation in Remillard's case.

Evans said he is attending college classes with the hope of studying finance at the University of Connecticut next year. He filed a lawsuit that remains pending against Remillard, Danielle Napolitano, Adam Napolitano and Richard Napolitano Jr., seeking hundreds of thousands of dollars for pain, suffering and other claims.

Edited by nfc90210