Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

Well, another snoozefest from Mayweather on Saturday night.

He deserves all the accolades for his technical ability, but I just don't think I can sit through another Mayweather points win over an opponent he really should have tried to put away.

If he isn't going to fight Manny Pacquiao he should just fuck off.

The fight wasnt a classic by any means, but it had its moments and I found it far more entertaining than Pacquiao-Clottey.

Mayweather made it quite clear in his post match interview- Pacquiao takes the regular blood and urine tests, Mayweather takes the fight.

• Paid Members

I didn't really enjoy Mosely vs Mayweather as it was pretty one sided apart from the 2nd round. If I want to watch one sided batterings then I will have a stroll through my local town centre on a saturday night. Pacquiao is really the only fight that may test Mayweather and I guess that is why he is dancing around it. Floyd always gives the impression that he is in the ring for the money not for the competition.

The weekend was the first time I had seen Saul Alvarez fight, he may be the most Irish looking Mexican I have ever seen. Ginger hair, pale skin and freckles, if you had said his name was Mick O'Flynn from Donegal I might have believed it but Saul Alvarez from Jalisco took some believing.

Saul_Alvarez.jpgbrian-odriscol.jpg

Brian isn't ginger but see what I mean about Irish looking?

Mayweather made it quite clear in his post match interview- Pacquiao takes the regular blood and urine tests, Mayweather takes the fight.

Pacquiao has stated that he's willing to take any test up to 14 days before the actual bout.

Make of that what you will.

All in all, it wasn't the best weekend of boxing. Prizefighter was abysmal, not quite as bad as the Lightweight one they had in scotland last year but this was terrible. That Zahid Kahut may be the worst boxer I have ever seen on television, he really didn't have a clue. A bit disappointed Hide went off in a hissy fit and pulled out when he didn't stop that welsh bloke but he really he shouldn't have been mixing it in such dreadful company. Corbett was in such bad shape it was an embarassment, and apparently he had lost 4 stone in the month leading to the fights :omg:

Don't think I'll bother with the next one, it's at Super Bantamweight at the end of the month and has Wayne McCullough in it. Nice novelty factore I suppose, but he really should have retired a long time ago.

As for Mayweather v Mosley, it wasn't a bad fight and was better than the Marquez fight I thought. Nice to see Mosley rock Floyd a bit in the second, but he was never going to sustain that. Usual crappy undercard for these PPVs, I can't believe the yanks pay $55 for them, though that first fight that was done in the opening round was a good scrap.

This week, we've got John Murray v Gary Buckland for the british and european Lightweight titles on FFN. Buckland is alright, but Murray should win comfortably. Then late Saturday night, Paul Williams takes on Kermit Cintron at Middleweight which really could be a good one. If anyone's not seen Williams' win over Sergio Martinez late last year, they should really check it out-top fight.

• Paid Members
Pacquiao softens stance on cut-off for testing for Mayweather bout

WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao has budged. The Filipino champion is now willing to agree to Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s previous cut-off date for a random Olympic-style drug testing protocol. Earlier this year, the two sides failed to reach an agreement for a March mega-fight. The issue of random drug testing was the root cause for the failed negotiations.

The two fighters were unable to agree on the cut-off date for the blood tests. Mayweather wanted a 14-day cut-off on the tests, while Pacquiao wanted the random drug testing protocol to end 24-days before the fight. Now Pacquiao is willing to meet Mayweather's number.

"I am willing to help the sport for the future of the sport. I do not want to see anyone cheat or cheat this sport. For that reason I am willing to consider taking blood as close as 14 days prior to the fight, as long as, my opponent does the same, and it is not a lot of blood, just enough to test," Pacquiao said in a statement on his official website, mpboxing.com .

"I do not want anyone having an unfair advantage where someone may get hurt. I am willing to do my part to help this sport out."

Pacquiao has not yet watched Mayweather's domination of Shane Mosley, but plans to watch the fight very soon. He also agreed to take a blood test immediately after the fight was over.

Nothing is set in stone. The next time the two fighters meet at the negotiating table, Mayweather might issue a demand for a smaller cut-off date or he might even make a demand for the testing to continue until the fight.

Source is sportsillustrated.cnn.com

I hope this shit gets sorted out soon,this fight needs to happen while they are both still in their prime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

big weekend for UK boxing, got the loaded Kevin Mitchell/Michael Katsidis card on sky tomorrow...props to Frank Warren on putting together a card in which i wanna see more than just the main event!

then over to America for Amir Khan/Pauli Malignaggi (its on itv 1 too if you didnt already know), the build up started off respectful but it's escalated and it led to this...

The Weigh-In

its unlike Khan to get into anything like this, makes for some interesting build-up though and i can't wait for the fight.

Malignaggi's crew were looking for trouble from the off by the looks of that video.

From the footage I have seen, I would say it was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

With Regards to the fight I predict Khan will win by stoppage in around round 8.

I am more looking forward to the Frank Warren card that is on later than Khan to be honest.

Well, a rather entertaining weekend of boxing.

The Katsidis vs Mitchell fight was pretty good, with Katsidis showing that he's a really hard hitter. Mitchell will be back though. He's a talented lad.

As for Amir Khan, the roadshow rolls on I guess. He's a prime example of what smart match-making and good promotion can do for you.

Another fight with a guy who has virtually no KO power. Malignaggi has won only 5 of his 27 fights by KO.

Following his pasting by Prescott, Khans team have been very careful with who they pair him up against, and have managed to bring in Freddie Roach who has done a good job of shoring up his defense.

Fights with the likes of Andreas Kotelnik (13 KO's from 30 wins), who he beat for the title was a pretty genius piece of business by his camp, so kudos in that respect.

I noticed that he called out Marcos Maidana after the fight last night, which is strange as it would appear that his team actually turned down that fight in favour of Malignaggi.

Miadana brings a record of 28-1 with him though, with 27 KO's, so maybe it wasn't much of a surprise that Malignaggi was chosen.

It'll be interesting to see who's next for Khan, but I don't think Miadana will be the guy.

There aren't many light punchers left in the division that would make money fights, so let's see where he goes from here.

Also, it was sad to see big Danny Williams go out like that on Saturday night.

He's a legend in British boxing, and is a poor mans Frank Bruno really, isn't he? A loveable guy who never really had what it took but showed great heart.

Let's hope he stays retired.

• Paid Members

Khan looked great on Saturday night. He took on a brash/cocky New Yorker in his own back yard and just f'n blitzed him in every area...i agree that the camp is picking fights carefully but in terms of US debuts, it went pretty well. Props to Malignaggi for his post-fight interview too, very humble and took his defeat like a man.

Kevin Mitchell got blitzed. I enjoy watching Katsidis fight, and Saturday he showed why he just comes blazing forward throwing bombs at times. I had a feeling Mitchell was going to get caught at some point. Great finish, ref saved Mitchell from getting KO'd badly. Sad to see Mitchell reach the biggest stage of his career, headling a massive show and then getting blown away, it knocks him back a few pegs but he'll be back. Talks of Amir Khan avoiding his i think were a little premature.

So sad to see Danny Williams go out like that :( Danny hasn't had it for years, and it makes you wonder why he even took the Chisora fight? (is he in financial trouble), he just got smashed. To see a guy who's giving so much to British boxing go out on his arse like that was not nice.

As for James DeGale, he has that 'someone please ko him' thing going for him. He's one of the most unlikable boxers ive ever seen. In interviews he isn't so bad, but his body language coming into the ring, his infight showboating, that ridiculous thing he does where he ducks to a point where hes almost sitting on the mat. Ahhh he annoys the fuck out of me.

• Paid Members

Kevin Mitchell has pissed off Frank Warren:

Promoter Frank Warren read Kevin Mitchell the riot act after discovering he had been cutting corners in training before his defeat to Michael Katsidis.

Mitchell was stopped in three rounds at Upton Park, after which trainer Jimmy Tibbs revealed he had not been happy with his charge's preparations.

"If you want to be champion of the world, you've got to live the life, there are no short-cuts," said Tibbs.

"It annoys me hearing about Kevin's preparation," added Warren.

"If Kevin doesn't want to play at this game I'm not financing it. If you don't want to play the game, don't waste my time.

606: DEBATE

Can Mitchell bounce back?

"If he wants to be a world champion and play the game I'm the person to help deliver that, if he doesn't want to play the game then he should go somewhere else and play around, because I'm not in the business of being involved with fighters who play around.

"But I don't want to take the slightest thing away from Michael, he came here in magnificent condition and he deserved to win the fight because he put everything into it."

Mitchell, who was challenging for Katsidis' WBO interim lightweight title at the home of his beloved West Ham, conceded he had not been as focused as he should have been in the lead-up to the fight, but said there were legitimate reasons.

"About five weeks ago Jimmy said 'you haven't prepared for this fight properly, you keep messing around'," said Mitchell, 25, who now has 31 wins and one defeat.

"There were things I wasn't doing and I was having a few late nights and this has given me a kick up the backside.

"But I've got a young family and there have been a lot of rows that people don't understand about. That's made things hard. One minute I'm living at my mum's, the next I'm back at my flat."

Tibbs, who trained former world champions Nigel Benn and Barry McGuigan among others, said he had not given up hope of Mitchell one day landing a world title of his own.

"I still say this kid [Mitchell] can go on and do something at world championship level, if he prepares right," said Tibbs. "That's why Michael Katsidis is a great fighter, because of his preparation."

and rightly so...Warren laid it all out for Mitchell on this one, and for him to come out and make excuses that he didn't even train properly is very disrespecful/arrogant. Mitchell would have been best served keeping his mouth shut.

• Paid Members

Vasquez/Marquez IV this weekend!!!

if you are remotely a fan of boxing, it's a fight you need to watch. It'll probably end up being fight of the year.