The UKFF Betting Topic

John Amos

Pretty disgraceful that Kauto Star was allowed to run today, he clearly wasn't in shape and if there was any justice betters would get their refunds but it will never happen. Tempting to think he only ran because the bookies knew there's be such huge support based on sentimentality and they could clean up the punters. Long Run is clearly past his best, pleased for McCoy to get a couple of winners after the week he's had anyway.

Worst Cheltenham Festival I've had in years from a betting standpoint, a ton of unfancied horses coming from nowhere to win, I'm well down on the week after today.

Pretty disgraceful that Kauto Star was allowed to run today, he clearly wasn't in shape and if there was any justice betters would get their refunds but it will never happen. Tempting to think he only ran because the bookies knew there's be such huge support based on sentimentality and they could clean up the punters.

Bookmakers dont decide which horses do or dont run though.

No, but they are very close to the sport so it wouldn't be at all surprising if Kauto Star was allowed to run to;

- Please the crowd

- Take money off the thousands of punters who would bet on such a popular horse

Even though all parties involved knew he had little chance of winning. When a sport is as corrupt as horse racing it's naive to think the rider, trainers and owners are not in league with the bookies to some extent.

It was obvious from the start that the horse was not running at all well and from my experience it would have been fairly obvious in the last few days of training and even out on the course that he wasn't anything like his usual self, anything like a threat. Ordinarily the horse becomes a non runner and everyone gets their money back, but here he does three or four fences and Ruby pulls him up. Stinks of bookies not wanting to refund all the bets.

Edited by WU LYF 4 LYF

No, but they are very close to the sport so it wouldn't be at all surprising if Kauto Star was allowed to run to;

- Please the crowd

- Take money off the thousands of punters who would bet on such a popular horse

Even though all parties involved knew he had little chance of winning. When a sport is as corrupt as horse racing it's naive to think the rider, trainers and owners are not in league with the bookies to some extent.

It was obvious from the start that the horse was not running at all well and from my experience it would have been fairly obvious in the last few days of training and even out on the course that he wasn't anything like his usual self, anything like a threat. Ordinarily the horse becomes a non runner and everyone gets their money back, but here he does three or four fences and Ruby pulls him up. Stinks of bookies not wanting to refund all the bets.

No, just no.

Really?

Do you really think Nicholls would have let Kauto anywhere near a racecourse if he thought he couldn't do himself justice? He'd of given him time and taken him to Aintree at the very least.

He overstretched and pulled a muscle. Doesent matter how fit you are, pulled muscles happen, especially when your a 12 year old horse. Massive shame that it looks like its going to end this way but the horses owes nothing to nobody and can hopefully enjoy a happy retirement now.

• Paid Members

I think Nicholls was very honest with everything about Kauto. Other trainers are not so honest about their horses and he deserves a lot of credit on how it was handled.

If you were mug enough to back a 12 year old in the Gold Cup that had had a fall in schooling a couple of weeks before you deserved to lose your money. The bookies are only doing their job when they take your money, its your own fault if you let your heart rule your head. There will be plenty of people who will think Synchronised will lug 11st 10 round the Grand National and win, but you would have to be mental to part with your money on it. As honest a stayer as Synchronised is, the weight will tell.

• Paid Members

Long Run may be just 7 but there are a couple of points. French bred's tend to peak a little earlier. There was an article about it in the racing post a couple of years ago. Exceptions to that are Kauto who is clearly a once in a generation horse and Quevega who comes from a family of horses that tend to peak a little later.

Also a Gold Cup win leaves its mark on a horse. Most horses don't win it more than once, and only 1 has regained it after losing it (Kauto again) Denman didnt get over his win fully for a couple of years and Long Run is not in Denman's or Kauto's league

For sure - I agree. Long Run has probably raced more than the majority of 7 year olds too - don't they start off jumping as early 3 year olds in France, even over fences? I just think that he's far from past his best. Maybe his best was all that good anyway? He beat a declining Denman last year, and an off colour Kauto Star. I don't think the jockey helps either. I don't even know what point I'm trying to make.

What a ride by McCoy though. Shades of Wichita Lineman. Nobody else would have won on Synchronised.

• Paid Members

As someone who backed Wichita to a lot of money I can say that was definitely one of my favourite rides. Although the McCoy ride on SSynchronised was very good, ride of the week was Geraghty on Riverside Theatre. Didnt jump or travel but he got it home

Todays footie lines.

Norwich (4/5) - Wolves defending like a pub team just now and rock bottom confidence after a few heavy defeats

Preston (11/10) - Very dodgy record recently but against a Bury side who are on one of the worst runs in the senior UK leagues

MK Dons (EVENS) - Picking up after a wee blip a few weeks ago, all the main strikers fit again and should have too much for Wycombe

Crewe (7/4) - Great run of form recently and young Nick Powell is scoring for fun; away to a poor Hereford side

Motherwell (5/4) - Kilmarnock missing five or six bodies, most of which are defenders, and may be flat after a big week having won the cup final last Sunday

Putting that on as trebles and upwards for my smaller stakes lines.

Also going for a bigger single on Northampton @ 5/4 against Plymouth. Boothroyd is starting to put his stamp on the team and they aren't the soft touch they used to be.