DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Clerks.

You supposed to post thoughts otherwise this thread is pointless.
I'd rather read a post like Vito's which just tells us the film he's watched, than a post like mancuniankid's where he posts about getting an errection :/ Anyway, the last thing I watched was also Clerks.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Eurotrip last night. I guess it was worth it for Michelle Trachtenberg, Matt Damon's pretty funny cameo, Kristin Kreuk and the German chick, but apart from that it sucked. If I was an English football fan I would have been seriously pissed off at the portrayal of English football fans in the film.

Firewall

Watchable, but very average on the whole. There is just not enough good action, plot-twists, suspence or tension to keep the film interesting for the 105-minute duration. The film has a good cast, but the acting on the whole is sub-standard. Harrison Ford just cannot do action-star anymore (and really doesn't convince when he is using or talking about computers), while Paul Bettany, Virginia Madsen, and Robert Patrick are under-used. I was also given little reason to care about any of the characters (by the end I was rooting for Paul Bettany (the bad guy!), which is never a good sign).

(**)

Saw V for Vendetta on Friday. Its not a classic but it was by no means a bad film. I was never bored when watching it although the film didn't flow at all well and you could argue that it never really got going at all. However, there were some very enjoyable parts and I didn't feel like I had wasted my money.

Edited by Pegasus Kid

• Paid Members

House of 9

Decent film with an unusual cast and interesting if derivative premise. Nine people are abducted and find themselves in a house. They can't get out, a voice on the house's announce system says that he's watching for his amusement and that the winner will be given 5 million. The winner, of course, is whoever is alive at the end.

The location is the best thing about the film for me. The house looks really soulless and cold despite being a fairly modern looking and expensive place, everything is white and the lighting is really harsh, it definitely doesn't look like a fun place to be locked in. The heating gradually being turned up each day was a good idea and I liked the Big brother-esque ploys of plying them with alcohol to see what happens.

As I said, the film has a strange cast. Dennis Hopper, Asher D, Kelly Brook and Susie Amy amongst others. Still, if you're going to choose two fairly small names in terms of acting they might as well be stunning. :love:

Susie Amy's part isn't too far removed from her role as Footballer's wife, playing a stuck up partygirl type. Asher D has shown that he's pretty good in a role like this though to be honest it seems as much of a stretch for him as Eminem in 8 Mile. Kelly Brook impressed me the most in that she hasn't done much acting and was pretty convincing.

The film's main flaw is similar to "The Hole" in that they're generally quite an unpleasant bunch and thus you don't care too much when they start kicking the bucket. That said, at least they provide one character to root for and care about and a nice enough guy in the Priest which is more than The Hole achieved.

Worth a watch but nothing to go out of your way to see.

Ong Bak

Tooke me ages to finally see this, everything has pretty much been said. Visually stunning from the action scenes to the locations, Tony Jaa is incredible, everyone should see it. As an aside, the girl in this film should never speak, such a horrible voice.

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Excellent stuff. Very witty dialogue, fun narrative style, fast paced and thoroughly entertaining from start to finish. I've forgiven Val Kilmer for Batman Forever based on this performance. Watch it.

Edited by JLM

I watched Requeim For A Dream last night, and I really enjoyed it. Although it didn't flow as well as it could, that was it's only flaw. The direction was brillant, as was the soundtrack and acting performance. It was an hour and half of pure tugging on your heart strings, as it brought the realitys of drug use to the forefront without shoving morals down your throat. Jen Conolly in the film is so stand-out it's unbelievable. Comparisons with Trainspottings are obvious, it's not as good as the Scottish film but it's along the same lines.

I give this film four potatoes out of a possible five potatoes.

• Paid Members

I watched Eurotrip last night. I guess it was worth it for Michelle Trachtenberg, Matt Damon's pretty funny cameo, Kristin Kreuk and the German chick, but apart from that it sucked. If I was an English football fan I would have been seriously pissed off at the portrayal of English football fans in the film.

It peaks way too early.It's always going downhill from "Scotty doesn't know~!" However, Scotty doesn't know is one of the best film songs. Ever(!)
If only for Kristen Kreuks involvement and the fact that...it's Matt Damon...which is rather hilarious.But yeah, seriously, awful film.

• Paid Members

I watched The Transporter 2 in work today. It was insanely ridiculous and pretty shit, but entertaining in parts.

the advert makes it looks absolutely ridiculous...but it makes me wanna see it :laugh:

Watched Wolfcreek last night, and I was bitterly disapointed with it. Despite having quite good reviews from critics I thought it was useless in everything it was trying to achieve. You had apathy for the main characters which you were meant to sympathise with, and as for the killer, you see such a lot of him before the killing that you can't "feel the fear" at all. Plus the script is so daft you can imagine a bunch of spotty sixteens writing it in a drama lesson, i.e. when the murderer says "you should seen the look on your face!" after he shoots the girl with rubber bullets. On the good side, it's special effects are fairly good (the crucifix scene in particular), and the shots of Australia do the outback justice. However, overall I thought this film was very disapointing, especially after expecting it to be one of the best Horror flicks of 2005 (the best is The Descent by the way).

I give this film 2 potatoes out of a possible 5 potatoes.

• Paid Members

We watched The Wedding Date. It's a low budget chick flick with the girl from Will and Grace (I think). She was sweet enough, the lead guy was OK and at 75 mins, it was mercifully short. However, it featured the typical American version of british life and weddings, and the entire brit cast, apart from the guy from Coupling and the girl from Cutting it, were shit.

Added to the really sickly sweetness of it and the reverse-Pretty Woman storyline and it wasn't a classic. About 6/10.