DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

If Rick likes Lost In Translation I am going to have to write a megapost on why it, King Kong and Hostel are shit.

I fell asleep just after the strip club scene. Up to that point, it was boring but intriguing. Actually, the only thing that was intriguing was why she always sat around in her knickers?This will sound ridiculous, but I couldn't help but think that famous movie star Bill Murray didn't look credible playing a famous movie star!

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fans of Lost in Translation will probably tell you it is meant to be one of the "Intelligent Comedies", where if you don't get it or don't find it funny then you are not intelligent enough to understand...Personally I found it boring, uninteresting, and unfunny for the most part.(Anyone seen Broken Flowers? Much the same as Lost in Translation really)

Edited by DJM

Guest Dan Fears Satan

On easter Sunday I saw....King Kong - Terrible, long boring, self indulgent, average effects (when they are magically running inbetween the dinasours legs very comical, can't believe it made it to the final film), average acting (they really didn't have to do a lot did they?), directing is embaressingly bad for the budget (whats with the slow motion????????) and the plot is hideos. Hard to draw up any positives, the boat effects where good. So glad I didn't go to the cinema to see this, I would of walked out. *The Constant Gardner - Excellent, Very important and very emotional. One of the highlights is how the director filmed africa and its people like a documentary, you feel part of the action. Superb performances and great plot. ****

few rentals yesterday...

boy eats girl- teen zombie flick set in ireland.. some funny moments and some cool gore but nothin too special here. samamtha mumba stars along side others.3/5

cry wolf- a fairly enjoyable watch although i felt the lead dudes acting sucked a cock however i thought lindy booth gave a great performance as dodger, plus shes lookin mighty fine in this so id say its worth checking out for her alone. 3/5

hoboken hollow- Based on the true story of the texas "slave ranch" this fairly brutal film tells the story of a few drifters/hitch hikers who are promised work, food and a bed at a ranch in texas. however unfortuantly for the drifters this particular ranch is owned by a twisted family of cannibalistic hillbillys. includes small roles by dennis hopper and michael madsen. 4/5

Fans of Lost in Translation will probably tell you it is meant to be one of the "Intelligent Comedies", where if you don't get it or don't find it funny then you are not intelligent enough to understand...Personally I found it boring, uninteresting, and unfunny for the most part.(Anyone seen Broken Flowers? Much the same as Lost in Translation really)

Lost In Translation isn't a comedy.

I saw Hostel last night.Eli Roth definitely seems to be an aqquired taste. You either love him or hate him. I love him. I really enjoyed this movie, a great unique and fucked up concept and great delivery.

totally agree with you man, im fucking loving eli roths work so far cabin fever + hostel are two of my favourite movies ever. i love the way the man can make me laugh like fuck then grose me the fuck out and have me sat on the edge of my seat in suspense all in one film. i also find the winks at legendary films such as the texas chainsaw massacre ass shot in cabin fever to be very cool.

I'll keep these reviews short....

Scary Movie 4

There are a couple of really funny moments, but this film is quite poor overall. It's badly shot, there are some missed opportunities for satire and certain characters could have been used more effectively. Nonetheless, I'm a huge fan of Leslie Nielsen and enjoyed his few segments. Plus, Anna Faris is a nice piece of eye candy...

Ichi The Killer

A friend of mine downloaded this and gave me a copy. However, it was fucking dubbed! :angry: Approximately 90% of the cast had British accents and even an idiolect that comprised of words like 'wanker.' Regardless, the film itself was awesome.

OldBoy

Holy fuck, what a film. It's brilliant in terms of symbolism, direction, cinematography, and acting. There are many memorable scenes that certainly leave an impression, such as the exceptional corridor fight. OldBoy is definitely a twisted film, which features some extreme violence and is intriguingly ambigious in places.

Edited by Van_Dammer

Lost In Translation isn't a comedy.
It is always billed as a comedic drama, so you would assume there is meant to be comedy somewhere!Scary Movie 4A good film - funny throughout, but also hit-and-miss at times as well(Carmen Electra's character for one was very hit-and-miss). The Oprah spoof at the end was very unfunny, and it felt like (and was) a short film, but otherwise it wasn't a bad film. Better than Scary Movie 2, about on-par with the third film, and The Village and War of the Worlds spoofs were actually more entertaining than the films they were spoofing!(***) Edited by DJM

There's elements of comedy certainly, but it's supposed to be a deep, soul searching and meaningful drama, but it's actually Sofia Coppola's angst-ridden diary acted out on screen to pretentious and disgusting effect.

Guest questy

Ichi The KillerA friend of mine downloaded this and gave me a copy. However, it was fucking dubbed! Approximately 90% of the cast had British accents and even an idiolect that comprised of words like 'wanker.' Regardless, the film itself was awesome.

sorry van dammer but ichi the killer was too much for me first fifften twenty mins put me off akira was a bit brutal but ichi the killer took it too far for me.