DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I watched Get Smart yesterday and thought it was okay overall. I was just expecting a bit more, being such a big fan of Steve Carell, but then again there are some genuinely hilarious moments. It's kind of Naked Gun-esque at times, which I really loved.

The Great Khali and The Rock are in it, too. Khali is used surprisingly well in that he says very little and just lets his size do the talking (even as a means of comedy).

Enjoyable stuff, but I think my expectations were a bit too high.

Edited by Vice

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Balls of Fury

Written and directed by "Reno 911" people (which I didn't realise til after I'd finished it), it's a moderately decent comedy about ping pong - it seems I've had a bit of a ping pong film weekend, maybe the only person to have ever done so. There's crime syndicates and stuff like that and it's all a little silly, but quite good. "Drew Carey Show" alumnus Diedrich Bader had a brilliant cameo as a "courtesan". So, not bad but not great either.

Watched/Watching Die Hard 4.0 and I forgot how enjoyably cool it is.

Long live Bruce Willis

But would you have enjoyed it as much had Walter Willis been the lead man? God I hate that advert.

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members

I saw Role Models in the cinema the other day.. Loved it! So many hilarious moments throughout the film that kept me entertained from start to finish. McLovin and the lil black kid were the real stars of the film!

Edited by Murtz

I re-watched This Is Spinal Tap yesterday. Man, it's beautiful. Just beautiful. I love big, stupid hair metal from the 80s, and this film is a perfect send-up of that genre and its ridiculous over the top image, lifestyle and general sensibilities. Absolutely hilarious because it's so on-point, with loads of fantastic dialogue.

Watched three films over the weekend:

Pinapple Express - How long is this freeking film? It seemed like it would never end. Couple of funny parts but overall I was left dissapointed and bored. The film just dragged.

RockNRolla - I like Guy Ritchie films (even Revolver) and whilst it was no Snatch it was still pretty good. Plenty of cockernies and cliches, as you would expect from a Guy Ritchie film. Took me while to figure out what was going on though.

How To Lose Friends & Alienate People - I really liked this. Kirsten Dunst is lovely, as is Megan Fox. Simon Pegg was funny as usual and had great chemistry with Dunst. I will be watching this again with the missus.

• Paid Members

What have I seen recently...

Saw Yes Man and The Spirit in the cinema last week. Yes Man was fairly entertaining, although Jim Carrey is too old for that role (and for the lovely Zooey Deschanel :love:) but it was typical Carrey comedy without descending into his earlier over-the-topness. It's nothing like the book, for anyone who's interested, but Danny Wallace is at least in it for a cameo.

I'd heard bad things about The Spirit. Very bad things indeed. So, perhaps because of that, I was pleasantly surprised by it. Sure, it's never going to win any awards but it's not as bad as people have been making out. I think that the worst thing about it was that it takes a while to get into it and get used to its overall tone. Which is really silly, indeed. It's very linear as well so it kinda feels like there isn't much going on. It looked kinda pretty though, although I suspect there could have been more effort made there as there were themes early on that weren't carried through the rest of the film.

On DVD this week we had Die Hard 4 and Deathrace, both enjoyable enough action flicks, and over the last two weeks I've finally gotten around to watching season 1 of Dexter. I saw the first episode on TV and really didn't like the style his voiceover was delivered in but made the effort to watch the rest of the season and really enjoyed it. I hoped they'd keep you guessing who the killer was throughout the season so was disappointed when they introduced him and how obvious it was, nevermind the fact they openly gave it away. But, I do see why they did it that way and the revelation in the final episode made it worthwhile.

I'm going to see Twilight tonight. I don't hold much hope but the agreement with my friend was that I'd go watch Twilight with her if she came over to watch Let The Right One In. So, by the end of the week I'll have hopefully seen at least one decent vampire movie.

Edited by elegia