DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i loved Doomsday, the fact that its so ridiculous and over the top is what i loved. Neil Marshall has said he just went wild and paid homage to all his favorite movies.

I could tell the very obvious homage to Escape From New York, and 28 Days Later, and Mad Max 3, and even I suppose Apocalypse Now, but unfortunately just having plots and scenes that were reminiscent of other, better, films, does not in itself a good or interesting film make. I suppose this bit of the post is going to have spoilers in it, so skip to the bottom if you want to watch it. Ebb, the film had logic holes you could have driven several tanks through. Why had no-one come up with an antidote to the virus in the intervening 27 years? Why did they bother making a point about how good the APCs were if they got totalled the first time they were called upon to act? If the virus was blood-borne, how did it kill so many people, so quickly? If it was airborne, why didn

Went to see Rock N' Rolla at the cinema tonight. Very Guy Ritchie esq in that its concerning cockney Gangstas, various main characters overlapping in their own little intricate plots and one item which everyone is after.........but it was good, not too long and funny in places. Nowhere near as good as Snatch, nor Lockstock for me but better than Layer Cake. Worth checking out.

Watched Near Dark again today.

Thought... "I wonder if...."

Then 5 mins later found these:

Henrikson wants in on Near Dark Remake

Near Dark Remake "Production Crew"

First reaction "YES!" if they don't rehash the original and make it a prequel/sequel then it could be quite good.

But I just get the feeling they are going to fuck it up.

/sigh

Edit:

Director - Samuel Bayer (done loads of music videos it appears...)

Producer - Michael Bay (Transformers etc)

Writers - Matt Venne (White noise 2: The light)

Uh oh...

Edited by DJ Stevie C

• Moderators

Went to see Rock N' Rolla at the cinema tonight. Very Guy Ritchie esq in that its concerning cockney Gangstas, various main characters overlapping in their own little intricate plots and one item which everyone is after.........but it was good, not too long and funny in places. Nowhere near as good as Snatch, nor Lockstock for me but better than Layer Cake. Worth checking out.

How big is Stringer Bell's part in the film? I think this will pretty much decide whether I bother to see it or not.

Hulk

The one with Eric Bana in it. I think for all the criticism it got, it's not a bad film. Plenty of action, interesting plot, fun to look at, quite art-y for a superhero film...from the end of the film, it looks like the new one kinda follows on from it, but not really, or am I just reading too much into the ending of this one and what I've read about the beginning of the next one?

• Paid Members

I'm not sure. See, I'm sure I remember reading that they wanted to distance themselves from the last film and that the Norton movie was a franchise reboot but I thought the new one followed on from it quite successfully too.Ah here we go, Wiki with the answer:

Marvel felt it would be better to deviate from Ang Lee's style to continue the franchise, arguing his film was like a parallel universe one-shot comic book, and their next film needed to be, in Kevin Feige's words, "really starting the Marvel Hulk franchise". Producer Gale Anne Hurd also felt the film had to meet what "everyone expects to see from having read the comics and seen the TV series".

Zak Penn, who wrote a draft of the first film in 1996, said the film would follow up Hulk, but stressed it would be more tonally similar to the TV show and Bruce Jones' run on the comic. He compared his script to Aliens, which was a very different film to Alien, but still in the same continuity. He included two scenes from his 1996 script: Banner jumping from a helicopter to trigger a transformation, and realizing he is unable to have sex with Betty. Penn wrote three drafts, before departing in early 2007 to direct The Grand. Norton, who had rewritten previous films he starred in, wrote a new draft, which pleased the director and the studio in establishing the film as a reboot. Leterrier acknowledged the only remaining similarity between the two films was Bruce hiding in South America, and that the film was a unique reboot, as generally audiences would have expected another forty minute origin story. There were previously discussions to set the first act in Thailand. Leterrier felt audiences were left restless waiting for the character to arrive in Ang Lee's film. Gale Anne Hurd noted fans dubbed the film a "requel", a portmanteau of reboot and sequel.

Fair do's. I enjoyed it more than the bad reviews I'd read led me to expect though.

The Promotion

Seann William Scott and John C. McGinley in a gentle comedy tale of two men going for a promotion at a supermarket. Just nice and gentle and peaceful for a Sunday night when you can't be bothered with anything more before work.

The TerminalTom Hanks/ Catherine Zeta Jones film, I quite liked it. Wasnt the best film in the world ever, and isnt a patch on Ferry to Hong Kong (which I havent seen in years but I remember it being good) but still engaging enough, even if a little predictable.Red DawnWas on Virgin 1 t'other nite.. Oh hell yes, film.. cold war Cuban and Russian American Invasion, school kids guns, bombs and bullets.. Charlie Sheen and Patrick Swayze among others... Class film. Could watch time and time again, even if is jingoistic.... Doesnt have the trad happy ending and is really quite grim all the way through.... RamboThe new one. 76 mins from start to start of the credits WTF? Not enough Rambo.. Too much of the team, though Matthew Marsden was quite good in it,. What was with the CGI blood? Other than that okayish actioner, nowt special though.

Got In Bruges this past week. Quite funny and really sad, with quite a good ending which i didn't really see coming until it was over. There's a couple of real funny scenes and the classic buddy pic. Re-watched Catch Me If You Can the other night, which i think is a very good film despite the appearance of DiCaprio as the main character. And my brother finally gave me back my copy of Dogma. Love that film, especially Alan Rickman's several appearances. Also makes me wonder why no other directors than Kevin Smith see Jason Lee and Ben Affleck as the bastard characters?

The Shooter..this makes 3 mark wahlberg movies that ive really enjoyed now the others being ''4 Brothers'' & his role in ''The Departed''The shooter see's mark as a ex sniper in the U.S, army Danny glover gets him to work out how a sniper could kill the president..its a really good film not gonna give anything away but its one that should be watched.

Edited by hitman89762000

• Paid Members

Smokin Aces.I wanted to watch this because it was jam packed with some well known acters. It was just a huge mess start to finish. The attempt of a 'twist' was really shit aswell. Reminded me of a shit version of Lucky Number Slevin.