DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Moderators

I caught Ferris Bueller's Day Off the other day, and given it's cult status I was expecting much of the teen comedy. And it was quite good. It made me laugh in parts, but seemed undeserving of it's cult status. Am I the only one who found Matthew Broderick smarmy, smug and unbearable as Ferris, only balanced out by the brilliant Alan Ruck as Cameron. The plot works well enough but seems to be building up and up, and then totally fizzle out. The film is nice and warm, and funny in parts, but how it became such an iconic 80s flick I don't know.

Fizzled out how? Could you explain; I don't get how the film 'fizzled out'..I can see how you wouldn't like the film if you didn't like Ferris, but I really don't get that comment...

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught Ferris Bueller's Day Off the other day, and given it's cult status I was expecting much of the teen comedy. And it was quite good. It made me laugh in parts, but seemed undeserving of it's cult status. Am I the only one who found Matthew Broderick smarmy, smug and unbearable as Ferris, only balanced out by the brilliant Alan Ruck as Cameron. The plot works well enough but seems to be building up and up, and then totally fizzle out. The film is nice and warm, and funny in parts, but how it became such an iconic 80s flick I don't know.

Fizzled out how? Could you explain; I don't get how the film 'fizzled out'..I can see how you wouldn't like the film if you didn't like Ferris, but I really don't get that comment...
The film seemed to be building to a big concluding climax - y'know with Cameron getting more anxious, the Principal getting closer to Ferris etc etc, and it sort of fizzles out. I don't know whether you would call the car going through the garage, or the parade, the climax of the movie but to me it just seemed to sort of slowly and convinently wiggle it's way out of the all of the built up conflicts.

• Moderators

The film seemed to be building to a big concluding climax - y'know with Cameron getting more anxious, the Principal getting closer to Ferris etc etc, and it sort of fizzles out. I don't know whether you would call the car going through the garage, or the parade, the climax of the movie but to me it just seemed to sort of slowly and convinently wiggle it's way out of the all of the built up conflicts.
I didn't see it like that...Cameron finally manages to let go of all his anxiety and shit; after the final straw of the car getting totalled he has something of a revelation... Jeanie learns not to be such a dickhead, and ends up being the one who saves Ferris's ass after his (climactic) race home, and Rooney continues to act a twat and gets his comeuppance.I get the feeling you wanted everything to blow up in Ferris Bueler's face and for him to 'learn something'.

I have just finished watching Reign Over Me starring Don Cheadle and Adam Sandler in a uncommon serious role. The story tells the tale of Alan Johnson (Cheadle), a succesful New York dentist who runs into his college room mate Charlie (Sandler) who he hasn't seen in years. Charlie has lost his wife and 3 daughters in one of the planes used in the 9/11 attacks and has pretty much become an extremely intoverted recluse. Charlie has managed to "forget" everything that has happened in his past and so when he runs into Alan he doesn't recognise him. The film follows Alan's efforts to help Charlie deal with his issues and get some professional help.

Although this film doesn't sound like a bunch of laughs I though it was a very powerful and imotive piece of cinema. The two leads were fantastic especially Sandler and it was nice to see him play away from his normal roles. The soundtrack was used as part of the story (they are all songs that Charlie has on vinyl or on his Ipod) and it supplies some cracking tunes, even Bruce Springsteen gets a few tunes in there.

I really can't recommend this film enough, I thought it was fantastic.

I have just finished watching Reign Over Me starring Don Cheadle and Adam Sandler in a uncommon serious role. The story tells the tale of Alan Johnson (Cheadle), a succesful New York dentist who runs into his college room mate Charlie (Sandler) who he hasn't seen in years. Charlie has lost his wife and 3 daughters in one of the planes used in the 9/11 attacks and has pretty much become an extremely intoverted recluse. Charlie has managed to "forget" everything that has happened in his past and so when he runs into Alan he doesn't recognise him. The film follows Alan's efforts to help Charlie deal with his issues and get some professional help.Although this film doesn't sound like a bunch of laughs I though it was a very powerful and imotive piece of cinema. The two leads were fantastic especially Sandler and it was nice to see him play away from his normal roles. The soundtrack was used as part of the story (they are all songs that Charlie has on vinyl or on his Ipod) and it supplies some cracking tunes, even Bruce Springsteen gets a few tunes in there.I really can't recommend this film enough, I thought it was fantastic.

That film is fantastic, really underrated, and easily Sandler's best role yet. I was welling up near the end during the court case, when Charlie finally breaks down. Such a good film, and the use of music is brilliant.I just watched Rush Hour and Rush Hour 2, both are good but not great. The one major gripe I had was in the second one, they're in LA, go down into the tunnel then suddenly end up in Las Vegas? That was pretty ridiculous, and it was obvious the director took some storytelling liberties just to quickly move the plot along. But aside from some silly plot holes, the films were really fun, and Chris Tucker was hilarious in the sequel.

I have just finished watching Reign Over Me starring Don Cheadle and Adam Sandler in a uncommon serious role. The story tells the tale of Alan Johnson (Cheadle), a succesful New York dentist who runs into his college room mate Charlie (Sandler) who he hasn't seen in years. Charlie has lost his wife and 3 daughters in one of the planes used in the 9/11 attacks and has pretty much become an extremely intoverted recluse. Charlie has managed to "forget" everything that has happened in his past and so when he runs into Alan he doesn't recognise him. The film follows Alan's efforts to help Charlie deal with his issues and get some professional help.Although this film doesn't sound like a bunch of laughs I though it was a very powerful and imotive piece of cinema. The two leads were fantastic especially Sandler and it was nice to see him play away from his normal roles. The soundtrack was used as part of the story (they are all songs that Charlie has on vinyl or on his Ipod) and it supplies some cracking tunes, even Bruce Springsteen gets a few tunes in there.I really can't recommend this film enough, I thought it was fantastic.

That film is fantastic, really underrated, and easily Sandler's best role yet. I was welling up near the end during the court case, when Charlie finally breaks down. Such a good film, and the use of music is brilliant.
This is actually the second time I have seen this film and both times there have been 2 scenes that always get to me. It's the initial scence outside the shrinks office where Charlie first talks to Alan about his family (great acting by Sandler, the director uses a lot of lengthy shots just on him and the emotion he portrays is heartbreaking) and the scene where Charlie goes back into the hearing and speaks to his wife's mother and father. That bit where he kisses her on the cheek and then leaves is great as well. One of very few films recently that has made me well up. Awesome flick.

That film is fantastic, really underrated, and easily Sandler's best role yet. I was welling up near the end during the court case, when Charlie finally breaks down. Such a good film, and the use of music is brilliant.
This is actually the second time I have seen this film and both times there have been 2 scenes that always get to me. It's the initial scence outside the shrinks office where Charlie first talks to Alan about his family (great acting by Sandler, the director uses a lot of lengthy shots just on him and the emotion he portrays is heartbreaking) and the scene where Charlie goes back into the hearing and speaks to his wife's mother and father. That bit where he kisses her on the cheek and then leaves is great as well. One of very few films recently that has made me well up. Awesome flick.
I agree, both of those scenes were brilliantly acted and the scene you mentioned at the end, when he goes back into the hearing, is my favorite of the entire film.

• Paid Members

Picked up Superbad on DVD last Tuesday. Lots of fun to watch and seemingly endlessly quoteable too, especially the pearls of wisdom coming from Fogell. I also watched Bad Boys 1 & 2 over the past week. Again, fun is the key word and I think both films deliver it in spades. Sure, the second one in particular is pretty over the top and the actual story has it faults. But as a popcorn action movie, it does its job well.

• Paid Members

I went to watch P.S I love you today. My girl's read the book so she was really looking forward to this. I thought it was pretty good.. some funny moments.She however was a bit disappointed because it was 'no where near as good as the book'.Has anyone seen Walk Hard yet?.. Its wierd because.. it only came out last week.. yet Leicester cinemas wernt even showing it today!