DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I watched one very good movie and one very bad movie at the weekend.The Good...Zodiac. Was really looking forward to seeing this and wasn't disapointed. It chronicles the killings of a serial killer, Zodiac, from '66 onwards, with Jake Glynenhall's (sp?) newspaper cartoonist character becoming obsessed with finding the killer's true identity. Same sort of film making style as Assissination of Richard Nixon I thought. Which is good. Definately worth a watch.The Bad...Next. I don't know what it is with Nicholas Cage doing all these shite movies as he can be a great actor, but he just keeps churning them out. He needs to act his age and stop taking 20 something roles, but anyway, this movie is truly awful - avoid at all costs. Not even as enjoyable as most "so bad it's good" B movies. Crap effects, ludicrous plot and more cheese than a Gorgonzola convention.The Ugly....ME!!! And Eric Roberts in Best of the Best... Was really into all martial arts movies as a kid but rewatching them makes me cringe sometimes. Just caught 10 minutes of this original U....S....A patriotic-as-hell series the other day and it was really funny. Eric Roberts is in some important martial arts bout, walks up to his opponent, snarls something like "I'm gonna rip your head off" and then gets his arse kicked. FUNNNYYYY!I love all the gangster/crime movies and thought Donnie Brasco was ace. And Taxi Driver. and Scarface etc. etc. Would recommend Blow as another good one. All Tarantino films. Godfathers. The Big Sleep. White Heat. Once Upon a Time in America. Chinatown etc. etc. etc. My all time favourite is probably Mean Streets.Still haven't seen Condemned or Grindhouse yet, are they out on DVD?Really enjoyed Transformers until I got bored with the end battle, too monotonous! Not the epic groundbreaking film I was expecting but an enjoyable romp (I have never used that word before in my life!) nevertheless.

Edited by PWPgreg

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

The Ugly....ME!!! And Eric Roberts in Best of the Best... Was really into all martial arts movies as a kid but rewatching them makes me cringe sometimes. Just caught 10 minutes of this original U....S....A patriotic-as-hell series the other day and it was really funny. Eric Roberts is in some important martial arts bout, walks up to his opponent, snarls something like "I'm gonna rip your head off" and then gets his arse kicked. FUNNNYYYY!

Best of The Best is awesome, the sequel is fucking quality aswell...love them movies. i dunno why but i got a thing for Eric Roberts' movies, the guy's churned out some absolute duds but i always tend to watch em.

• Paid Members

Mercury Rising - man, Bruce Willis made some dodgy action/thrillers, this is one of em...its passable entertainment but its pretty f'n hammy, the actual story doesn't make much sense, there's no real badguys but Bruce still has to save the day Die Hard style. Alec Baldwin is criminally underused too.

Reign Over Me - absolutely fantastic! The best movie of Adam Sandler's life, he plays a traumatized man who lost his family in 9/11. Don Cheadle is his old college mate who tries to bring a little salvation to his life. This aint your usual Sandler affair. The movie's buddy partnership kinda reminds me of Sideways when their out enjoying themselves but there's a deeper undertone running through which ends with a pretty heartbreaking finale. This was fantastic stuff, Sandler and Cheadle were bother superb. My only worry is that people will see Sandler on the cover and be expecting a Billy Madison type film.

Thai Super Hero movie Mercury Man.Pretty decent superhero movie from Thailand about a firefighter who is critized at his work for the reason that he wants to help others as best he can rather then being a team player with his team.He gets assaulted and ends up with some kind of mercury into his blood,turning him into a kickass superhero Mercury man.The CGI is pretty cool,the fight scene with the fire is unbelievably good and its almost a bit of a parody of Spiderman with the spinning newspapers whenever he saves people.A fun film and its made from the people by ong bak so obviouisly the action is fantastic! Great movie.

Still haven't seen Condemned or Grindhouse yet, are they out on DVD?

Grindhouse is no longer being given a UK cinema release, instead Planet Terror and Death Proof will be released individually with different cuts (send your hatemail to the Weinsteins!). However I reckon a few years down the line they will stick on it DVD and milk it for a bit of cash.The Condemned has been given a firm UK release date yet according to play.com.

Children Of Men

I finally got round to watching this after being recomended it by everyone. And I'm glad I checked it out. Really strong performance by Caine (for a change thesedays) and Clive Owen, a gripping storyline (with only the ending being slightly underwhelming, everything else is spot on) and some great set pieces. I love dystopian films, and this is probably the best one since Twelve Monkeys. Great stuff!

• Paid Members

The Guyver

I used to love this film when I was younger.. watched it again yesterday.. it wasnt as good as I remember it.. but it still has one of my favourite movie theme tunes! Good film overall.

Hairspray

Went to the cinema to watch this last week.. and was dreading it when I read 'watch this if you like Chicago, Grease etc'.

I wouldnt have thought this in a million years.. but I actually really enjoyed it! It has some great comedy moments in it.. cheesy but funny. I probably will watch it again for some of the comical moments involving John Travolta.

Really good film!

Jet Li - Fearless

I loved this. I cant remember a Jet Li film I didnt enjoy.. and it was the same with this one. Some great fight scenes. I really hate that haircut though! (front half of head shaved with ponytail)

I just heard about 2 future Jet Li films... one is called WAR, with Jason Statham.. and the other is a film with Jackie Chan (cant wait!)

Flushed Away

If you want to watch a light hearted film and have a good laugh see this!

I love these kids films like Shrek and Monsters Inc that appeal to us older kids too :)

Oh it was just 25p to hire from Blockbusters!

Edited by Dynamite Duane

Jet Li - FearlessI loved this. I cant remember a Jet Li film I didnt enjoy.. and it was the same with this one. Some great fight scenes. I really hate that haircut though! (front half of head shaved with ponytail)I just heard about 2 future Jet Li films... one is called WAR, with Jason Statham.. and the other is a film with Jackie Chan (cant wait!)

I thought the Jet was retiring.

Jet Li - FearlessI loved this. I cant remember a Jet Li film I didnt enjoy.. and it was the same with this one. Some great fight scenes. I really hate that haircut though! (front half of head shaved with ponytail)I just heard about 2 future Jet Li films... one is called WAR, with Jason Statham.. and the other is a film with Jackie Chan (cant wait!)

I thought the Jet was retiring.
He's saying this will be his last Martial Arts film.His next film is

War is an action/thriller film, directed by Phillip Atwell with Corey Yuen as the martial arts choreographer. The film is due for release in August 24, 2007 and will be rated 'R'. The film stars Jet Li, Jason Statham, Devon Aoki, Kane Kosugi and Steph Song. Its working title was Rogue; it was changed to avoid conflict with another film with the same name.

Edited by ultimo the great

Knocked Up

I really enjoyed this film and i think along with The 40 Year old Virgin this sets up Judd Apatow as a really exciting director to watch. Seth Rogen is excellent in his role as lovable stoner and Paul Rudd is great in his suporting role. Apatow finds a nice balance between belly laughs and the 'awwww' moments and his characters seem fairly well written and relatable. Igon of Ghostbusters fame makes a nice little cameo to and i would have liked it if he was used a bit more but on the whole it was a very good film and well worth a watch.

The Simpsons

It was never going to live up to expectations was it and after reading some pretty shabby reviews my expectations had become pretty low. Now i'd agree with the critics who say it lacks a truly memorable Simpsons gag but it is by no means a disaster and does provide many a chuckle. The story is pretty poor and the characters do seem a little awkward but i still found myself laughing at the right moments and there are some very nice touches. My biggest complaint was the fucking spaz who sat in the row infront of me and kept shouting out and moving seats but he was a legit spaz so i had to bite my lip. This always happens to me when i go to the cinema.

The Number 23

It was better than I was expecting but I thought they overdid the climax a bit. The other main downside was the narration of Jim Carrey which was almost sleep inducing. I thought there was quite a bit of tension in there though and you could really feel the obsession of Jim Carrey. I thought it looked pretty good as well when they did the scenes on the book chapters. I quite liked this.

• Paid Members

The SimpsonsMy biggest complaint was the fucking spaz who sat in the row infront of me and kept shouting out and moving seats but he was a legit spaz so i had to bite my lip. This always happens to me when i go to the cinema.

Best review ever. :laugh: I've watched some stuff. Pirates 3 was alright. I enjoyed parts of it, some of the jokes were good, Orlando Bloom is terrible. The first film is infinitely better than the two sequels, but I still feel that some people have been overly harsh on this. Hostel 2 was turd. I was not surprised by this. The lady who ultimately becomes a football is unspeakably hot though. Fantastic Four 2 had enough razzmatazz about it to be worth a watch. Quite a fun cinema movie with the pretty flashy things and loud noises. Disposable but I didn't feel like I'd wasted my money. Also Jessica Alba, obviously.Need to see Die Hard 4, Transformers and Simpsons. Also Rush Hour 3 I guess. Meh.DVD-wise, I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang again recently. It is still very awesome and should be viewed by many people. I finally bought Pan's Labrynth but have yet to watch it. My expectations are through the roof thanks to the endless gushing praise, but I'm still confident that it will deliver.Other stuff... I watched District 13 again. Free running is awesome. My jaw dropped hard. Also finished Season 3 of The Wire, which managed to top the first two seasons. What an incredible show. I need to see Season 4 as soon as possible. I love it so much that the highlight of my trip to see the motherfucking Wu Tang Clan in concert was that Idris " Stringer Bell" Elba was in attendance. I watched Batman Returns for the first time since my first viewing of it as a youngstetr. I was bitterly disappointed with it. Every Catwoman scene made me want to kill myself and the Penguin was totally rubbish as well. Why I remembered this movie quite fondly is beyond me. The only thing I liked was Penguin's array of circusy henchmen in all their Burtonised creepy glory.The Descent. I liked this quite a lot. Well worth the Edited by JLM