DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I liked Indiana Jones 4 even though the ending was a bit shit. The rumours of there being a 5th film both excites and disappoints me. If a 5th one is made they need to move away from the entirely CGI settings and maybe go on location as I felt the authenticity of the settings in 4 looked a bit too much like a video game.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
I liked Indiana Jones 4 even though the ending was a bit shit. The rumours of there being a 5th film both excites and disappoints me. If a 5th one is made they need to move away from the entirely CGI settings and maybe go on location as I felt the authenticity of the settings in 4 looked a bit too much like a video game.

indygoerge.jpg

Sums up what i thought of Indy 4.

I finally go round to watching scarface for the first time this week. I can't say I crazy about it, but it was a good enjoyable movie. There was a great feature on the dvd about the changes they made to show it on tv. I carcked up at them changing the line "This city is like a giant pussy waiting to get fucked" to "this city is like a giant chicken, waiting to get plucked".

• Paid Members

Just watched The Mist.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

I really genuinely do not know what I made of this film. I didn't know that much of it at all before I saw it except who was in it and that it was a bit of a Dawn Of The Dead-esque supermarket siege horror thing. I liked the beginning of the film and how it is set up and the mystery of it. Then the tentacles start coming in and I thought, "Oh fucking hell, alright, we've got a comedy horror here."

And then Marcia Gay Harden starts playing this nutter preacher role and turns in a performance that is far too good for a horror film like this. Not once did she get over-the-top and she made this film something else altogether. She should have got an Oscar nomination for this. The bit in the pharmacy was stupid though and reminded me too much of Eight Legged Freaks (not necessarily a bad thing but somewhat different in tone from this).

I liked the turn it took with everyone turning against the 'heroes'. That was good. But then as soon as they left the supermarket and the dramatic classical music kicked in it just felt as though it was going to end badly. And it did. I thought they were stupid to go into The Arrowhead Project though - should have been left as a MacGuffin, the film didn't need more details revealing on that.

Reading what I did of the original story, the ambiguous ending where he didn't cap everyone sounded far better and I like ambiguous endings - then again, I love John Carpenter films. But at the same time, it was fantastically bleak and for a Hollywood film to have an ending that downbeat is genuinely excellent and to be praised, I think. It was genuinely unsettling and I am very rarely unsettled by a film - the last time, I think, was Roman Polanski's Repulsion. And that was years ago.

Thomas Jane was pretty solid throughout and Laurie Holden was better than she was in The X Files. But Marcia Gay Harden stole this fucking film.

I think I'll give it 7 tentacles out of 10. But I might think differently if I have a nightmare about it.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Setting Sun

Just re-watched Knowing and have to say I kind of enjoyed it the second time round

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

although the end is a bit morbid with the world literally ending and it being a bit bullshit with the aliens planting an Adam & Eve like seed on a new planet

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Some of the disaster sequences are kind of cool and you can't really falter the brutality of the special effects. Nick Cage isn't on my list of the best actors of all time and this film didn't do a thing to try and convince me otherwise. If you can switch off your brain for two hours without dying, it's an enjoyable film.

• Paid Members
Just watched The Mist.

And then Marcia Gay Harden starts playing this nutter preacher role and turns in a performance that is far too good for a horror film like this. Not once did she get over-the-top and she made this film something else altogether. She should have got an Oscar nomination for this.

Really?!

I thought her performance was so fucking annoying and over the top she ruined a perfectly good B-movie horror. Her speeches go on for 10 minutes at a time and she is just so crap I wanted to throw my fucking telly out the window. There is no subtlety to her role at all...any actress could have played it just aswell or probably better. She is hateable not a good movie villain way but in a X-Pac 2001 type of way.

• Paid Members

Re-watched Miami Vice. It's not great, and certainly falls short of what we expect from Michael Mann, but you know what? I watched a few episodes of the original series last week, and I have to say that, with that reference to go from, I'd say Mann went and made chicken soup from chicken shit, because the series doesn't hold up well at all. The movie, however, is fucking fun. Initially, before the movie came out, I honestly couldn't see how Mann was going to make it work without setting it in the 80s, but he stuck to his guns by keeping the much deeper motif of cops living the high life with sports cars and speed boats (despite the improbability), and it works. It's a silly, silly movie, but I really enjoy it; it's no Collateral or Heat, but on a superficial level based on lighting and cinematography, it retains the glassy slickness of Collateral, without losing itself (such as it is, for better or worse).

• Paid Members
Re-watched Miami Vice. It's not great, and certainly falls short of what we expect from Michael Mann, but you know what? I watched a few episodes of the original series last week, and I have to say that, with that reference to go from, I'd say Mann went and made chicken soup from chicken shit, because the series doesn't hold up well at all. The movie, however, is fucking fun. Initially, before the movie came out, I honestly couldn't see how Mann was going to make it work without setting it in the 80s, but he stuck to his guns by keeping the much deeper motif of cops living the high life with sports cars and speed boats (despite the improbability), and it works. It's a silly, silly movie, but I really enjoy it; it's no Collateral or Heat, but on a superficial level based on lighting and cinematography, it retains the glassy slickness of Collateral, without losing itself (such as it is, for better or worse).

I liked the bit with the boat.

• Paid Members
Just watched The Mist.

And then Marcia Gay Harden starts playing this nutter preacher role and turns in a performance that is far too good for a horror film like this. Not once did she get over-the-top and she made this film something else altogether. She should have got an Oscar nomination for this.

Really?!

I thought her performance was so fucking annoying and over the top she ruined a perfectly good B-movie horror. Her speeches go on for 10 minutes at a time and she is just so crap I wanted to throw my fucking telly out the window. There is no subtlety to her role at all...any actress could have played it just aswell or probably better. She is hateable not a good movie villain way but in a X-Pac 2001 type of way.

I don't think her role was ever supposed to be subtle but neither did I think she was over-the-top. I thought she brought a different dimension to a horror film that would have been far too derivative to have been anything above average - aside from the ending.

• Paid Members

Just watched Das Experiment tonight. Cracking film - probably really difficult to pace and possibly not helped by too much emphasis on Tarek's girlfriend on the 'outside', but it's really enjoyable and had a really satisfying ending, I thought.

8 nightsticks out of 10.

Just watched Das Experiment tonight. Cracking film - probably really difficult to pace and possibly not helped by too much emphasis on Tarek's girlfriend on the 'outside', but it's really enjoyable and had a really satisfying ending, I thought.

8 nightsticks out of 10.

I Sky plussed it a few months ago but the signal was lost when they put Tarek in that little box so I've no idea what happened, if I see it cheap I'll pick it up as I really enjoyed what I saw.

• Paid Members

8 nightsticks out of 10.

I Sky plussed it a few months ago but the signal was lost when they put Tarek in that little box so I've no idea what happened, if I see it cheap I'll pick it up as I really enjoyed what I saw.

Ha ha, that's exactly how we watched it last night! Ours cut out as well bizarrely but we only lost 2 minutes so it wasn't too bad. Yes, it's well worth picking up, I think I saw it on Play.com going at a decent price recently.