DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

Glad I'm not the only one who never got the Jamie Lee Curtis love.

Bought The Fall at lunchtime on SickWoy's recommendation. Hopefully it'll live up to expectations.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Elite Squad - "Two childhood friends decide to enlist in Rio de Janeiro's Military Police Department. After juggling college and their jobs with a corrupt police force, both make up their minds to try out for a Special Operations Squad whose mission is to take down the drug-lords that plague the city."

Loved it, probably the best film I've seen this year (despite it being two years old). Definitely worth a watch if you're a fan of City Of God.

Oh, as far as brutal film scenes go, it's got one of the most unforgiving.

• Moderators

I stand by my statement. Besides, Oldboy is the film-nerd pick of choice, which is why it's more perplexing. LOTR is totally mainstream.

It's doubly ridiculous when people get all uppity about Hollywood doing a remake and "ruining" it. It's not horrible, it's a *** movie, but it's way too flawed to be anything more. Take out the hallway hammer fight and you'd immediately lose half of the geek love.

:yinyang: See now i've never seen Oldboy, at the risk of sounding like an idiot should i give it a go?

I Sky+ed it last night as it was on Film 4, but haven't watched it yet. I imagine it will be on again in their rotation though, so for free you might as well. People do go mad for it on here, can't all be bluster, can it?

• Paid Members

Oldboy's great fun. It's got too many flaws to be a truly great film but I thoroughly enjoyed it. And Lord Of The Rings, for that matter, although I could never be arsed seeing the third one.

I stand by my statement. Besides, Oldboy is the film-nerd pick of choice, which is why it's more perplexing. LOTR is totally mainstream.

It's doubly ridiculous when people get all uppity about Hollywood doing a remake and "ruining" it. It's not horrible, it's a *** movie, but it's way too flawed to be anything more. Take out the hallway hammer fight and you'd immediately lose half of the geek love.

Agreed. Once you get past geeking out at a guy killing people WID A HAMMER, there wasn't that much else to distinguish it from the masses of similar violent Korean films. It was alright, and I enjoyed it, but I was very surprised at the love shown to it online. It's certainly not in the league of Takeshi Kitano.

I personally found the hammer scene to be a fun visual but nothing much more and it certainly wasn't a key reason why I love the film so much. Overall, the look and feel of the film coupled with the fantastic antagonist in Woo Jin are the reasons why it had such an impact on me. Yeah it's flawed and totally ostentatious, but I think it's truly an excellent film, worshipped by geeks or not.

If you want an Asian film that's insanely overrated by a cluster of geeks, look for any of Takeshi Miike's films, especially the brainless Ichi The Killer.