DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruno was very hit or miss and not quite as funny as Borat. Shame too as Bruno was probably the funniest character on the TV show. That being said however, near the end things did start getting very funny and more to the Borat standard (or whatever), I just think that maybe it jumped the shark a bit.

I've been powering through The Prisoner.

I'm onto episode 13, "Do Not Forsake Me". With the exception of "Many Happy Returns" which is the best episode by some distance I've seen, every episode has been better than the last. I'm absolutely loving this show so far and I can't believe I hadn't seen it before now.

Happy Potter and the Half Arsed Pile of Wank

What a crock of shit. Such a terrible movie. David Yates and Warner have completely ruined the franchise. I was looking on Wiki and critics are actually praising that piss poor attempt at a movie. Yates is directing style is awful. Anyone with a shred of credibility should of turned down appearing in something with that piss poor attempt at a script. Conveys nothing from the book at all. Really truely awful. Ginny, Hermione, Fred, George, all played by shit actors once again. And I agree alot with what Insert_Name_ Here said. Worst of lot really. Worse than 5 and thats saying something. Yate's directing style is truely awful. Piss poor. dissapointing.

Are you trying to imply that it was a flaw on the director's part that he did not cast new actors to play these characters even though they've already appeared in FIVE films?

No I'm implying that they should of been replaced moons ago. Or the director could of gone, "No, this is a fuck off big movie budget so I can take my time on this, do that again, and don't do it fucking shit", instead of going, "Oh Well, better luck next time, now lets do another bland really shit looking Medium Length Shot"

Also I didn'say it was nothong like the book. I said it doesn't convey anything from it. The film leads off on different tangents leaving parts that make the story what it is. I can live with missing huge chunks out, but when you get important, yet basic things wrong, making things up, that's what annoys me.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

The last book has come out, so they should know that scenes in the RoR are important, I presume Harry will merely stumble across Ravenclaws Horcrux wonderfully coincidentally, etc etc

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Honestly, missing stuff out doesn't bother me, but when you start making stuff and changing the core of the story (not the book, the story) I get annoyed.

• Paid Members

S.Darko.

I knew it was going to be bad but that was absolutely terrible. It's like the filmmakers decided that since Donnie Darko was complex and a bit confusing, they didn't have to bother about pesky little things like "structure" and "logic". Not to mention "realistic dialogue".

Best bit:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Midway through, Sam dies under the most stupidest of circumstances and we get what feels like half an hour of her friend deciding to reverse time to bring her back. Made absolutely no sense and had no relevence to the rest of the film except to make the ending, where Sam dies again and someone else reverses time completely redundant. It's like they realized the film wasn't long enough so just stuck the most random plot twist they could think of in there.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

I can usually get a laugh out of bad movies but this was too much for even me.

Just watched flashpoint and action movie starring Donnie Yen. Storyline was a pretty generic cops and badies affair, but the fight scenes were excellent. Lots of MMA and wrestling style fighting which made an interesting change from the standard kung fu style. Very entertaining as far as mindless action flicks go.

• Paid Members

Right, the premieres on Sky Premiere tonight. What are you thoughts on these doozies?Mail Order BrideJourney to the Center of the EarthAngus, Thongs & Perfect Snogging (What?!?!)The HappeningWazThanks.

• Paid Members

Right, the premieres on Sky Premiere tonight. What are you thoughts on these doozies?Mail Order BrideJourney to the Center of the EarthAngus, Thongs & Perfect Snogging (What?!?!)The HappeningWazThanks.

They're all crap, don't bother.

Angus, Thongs & Perfect Snogging (What?!?!)

Originally to be called Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging

Only seen Journey to the Center of the Earth which is just so dull and bland. Probably catch WAZ sometime this week.

Terrible night for films on Sky, go with a Film4 double of Team America and Old Boy.

Also watched The Love God? a dodgy 60s "sex" "comedy". Actually, it had a few amusing moments, and plenty of behived women with pneumatic cleavages, but it comes across as a wannabe star vehicle for Don Knotts, who I've not heard of.

You've not heard of Don Knotts star of Too many ostriches!

• Paid Members

Watched Gremlins this afternoon as the torrential rain lost the Sky signal.

Even ignoring the horrid, unsharp, dirty print it was converted from, it's not aged that well. While there's some ambitious animatronic/puppet work in some scenes, in others it's shit and there's some sub-par stop motion.

The script is terrible, and the overly coloured (God bless the 80's) lighting makes it look like some scenes take place in a nightclub rather than the family home.

With the white hair and the snarling lip, Stripe comes across a lot like Billy Idol.

It's also quite bizarre in it's tone. It's as if they were trying to make a straight horror film, but halfway through realised it wasn't working and so chucked a load of comedy into it.

From a story point of view, it defies logic. Billy Peltzer is the "hero" of the film, but the writers make him a pussy. The hardest person in the film at fighting the Gremlins is Billy's mom. When the Gremlins first hatch, she puts aside her initial shock (and nausea from being subjected to Johnny Mathis) and takes on three straight away. After killing those by means of blender, knife and microwave, SHE GOES HUNTING FOR THE OTHER TWO! That's right, Billy's mom is fucking hard as nails. Even when blindsided by the one hiding in the tree, she still holds her own until Billy can claim his singular direct kill in the film, beheading the little fucker with a sword WHILST HIS MOM HOLDS THE FUCKING GREMLIN FOR HIM.

Kate is also far harder than Billy. Billy has a fucking sword and can only kill one Gremlin with his mom's help, but Kate takes on a whole bar full of drunken, rowdy Gremlins using only a Polaroid camera equipped with five, single-use flashcubes (ask your parents, young 'uns). She's also the one that holds the door shut when escaping the cinema so Billy can look for something to prop it shut with. Oh yeah, big man Billy. Cunt.

When running from the bar, a Gremlin pops it's head up from within the engine of a car. Billy runs away, but Kate stays to face it and slams the bonnet shut on it's head.

Who kills Stripe at the end? Fucking Gizmo. Billy, you're fucking shit.

I still do enjoy this film, as it's one of THOSE films from my childhood and was considered a pretty big deal at the time, but it's looking like a bit of a damp squid these days. On the plus side, I still feel my pre-pubescent crush on Phoebe Cates was completely justified.