DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Saw Bride Wars the other day because I had to make myself scarce and it was the only thing on at the time. Not good. I actually like chick-flicks, and I like Hudson and Hathaway, but there was no substance, little emotion and few laughs. It redeemed itself a little toward the end - in a schmaltzy, likeable sense - but it's still not a movie I'd watch again in any hurry and certainly not one I'm happy about having paid

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
watched rock n'' rolla and rise of the foot soldier over the weekned

i seen foot soldier seen bout 10 times now

What the fuck?

Rise of The Footsoldier is the worst "movie" I've ever seen, if you can even call it that. It's like the people who made it had never seen a film before, and had no concept of structure, pacing or even acting. It's just ten hours (or feels like it) of badly shot footage of people shouting and trying to look hard. Watching that was the most bored I've ever been in my life. I guess it appeals to the sort of people who like books by former hooligans.

• Paid Members

Okay, so, Twilight then... Erm, well it wasn't so bad, I guess. No that's a lie, it's pretty terrible. Bad things before the good things, it's like an extended episode of Dawsons Creek that seems to want to be a music video with added vampires. The acting's awful but I think that's mostly down to the director who I can imagine sitting there shouting "Give me awkward! Awkward and intense! Like you don't know what to say or do because you're so full of feelings!". I'm shocked to discover that the director hasn't previously made music video's because the number of times a ridiculously redundant, sweeping camera movement was used, along with several instances of harsh and choppy cuts and inserts really gave it that feeling. The male lead really wasn't as hot as he was made out to be (and the two girls I went with agreed with me on that) and there wasn't enough believable chemistry between him and the female lead. Oh it's got some terrible, middle of the road, American kid-rock soundtrack which, so I'm told, should have but didn't contain Paramore and Linkin Park. I think I'm glad that it didn't though.

Onto the good things then. It really did succeed at what it set out to achieve - it's the perfect teen love story presented as a perfect teen film. Perfect for getting those teenage girls wet and ready, if Jonathan Ford is to be believed, which should hopefully make it easier for teenage boys to get laid. Top stuff.

What have I seen recently...

Saw Yes Man and The Spirit in the cinema last week. Yes Man was fairly entertaining, although Jim Carrey is too old for that role (and for the lovely Zooey Deschanel:love:)

Is that the plank of wood that starred in M. Night Shyamalan's much acclaimed, The Happening?

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think she was in that, although I've not actually seen it.

She's pretty good in Yes Man, plays the role perfectly which makes me think it was more of an extension of her actual personality. She's also the love interest in Elf and, to tie this in with the TV thread, she plays Andy's crazy girlfriend in Weeds season 3 (I think... Might be the second one).

What have I seen recently...

Saw Yes Man and The Spirit in the cinema last week. Yes Man was fairly entertaining, although Jim Carrey is too old for that role (and for the lovely Zooey Deschanel:love:)

Is that the plank of wood that starred in M. Night Shyamalan's much acclaimed, The Happening?

Unfortunately for her, she was.

• Paid Members

She was so horribly bad in that movie that she stood out in what was already a total shitfest. I have since seen her elsewhere and been less filled with contempt though.

Yeah, I think she was in that, although I've not actually seen it.

She's pretty good in Yes Man, plays the role perfectly which makes me think it was more of an extension of her actual personality. She's also the love interest in Elf and, to tie this in with the TV thread, she plays Andy's crazy girlfriend in Weeds season 3 (I think... Might be the second one).

I've had a crush on Zooey for years now but, I have to say, I don't think she's a good actress. Liked her in Almost Famous and Elf, but pretty much anything else I've seen her in since she's been very wooden. The thing that made me wince most was her performance in her own music video: She & Him - Why Do You Let Me Stay Here? No-one could ever guess she's a professional actress based on that.

• Paid Members
The thing that made me wince most was her performance in her own music video: She & Him - Why Do You Let Me Stay Here? No-one could ever guess she's a professional actress based on that.

Christ, that was atrocious. I see your point. And she didn't even look pretty in it :angry:

You're all right though, no matter how much I long for her, she'll never be a good actress. Ah well.

She was so horribly bad in that movie that she stood out in what was already a total shitfest. I have since seen her elsewhere and been less filled with contempt though.

Too be fair everyone was awfull in that poor excuse of a film. I was upset by The Happening because I am a bit of a Shyamalan fan and up until The Happening I thought Lady In The Water was his weekest film, but in comparison it's a fucking masterpiece. Because of the hype leading up to the film (admittedly this hype was direct from Shyamalan himself) I thought it is was going to be the best thing since sliced Signs.

• Paid Members

I fucking hated Signs. It showed so much promise and then pissed all away by boring boring and predictable. I'll give him this though, it was very well directed.

He's not made anything good since Unbreakable, in my opinion.

I fucking hated Signs. It showed so much promise and then pissed all away by boring boring and predictable. I'll give him this though, it was very well directed.

He's not made anything good since Unbreakable, in my opinion.

Unbreakable is probably my favourite overall but I still love Sixth Sense, Signs & The Village. I think all were really well directed and I loved the stories. I think Signs is one you either love or hate from what I hear of other peoples opinions. But he has gone downhill swiftly since Lady In The Water.

I thought signs was just too farfetched. I'll spoiler tag this just in case....

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Water kills the aliens? Did they not look at the earth before they decided to invade the planet that is mostly water? and surely they couldn't just walk around on earth. Unless its only water in a glass that kills them. It was ridiculous

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Fair to say I'm not a fan of his films, took one look at the happening and thought it looked garbage and my friends all said it was after seeing it. I do like Sixth Sense however, although people now that havent seen it wont get the most out of it cos they already know the twist.

Edited by Andy Of Deth