DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Yeah.It's got different names for different countries for some reason. In America it's called 'The Protector'.I was also surprised at how good Nathan Jones looked in it, Not that he had much 'acting' to do per say but he still looked impressive in it.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The island: Director Michael Bay tries something different. Well, at least for the first hour he does, then it degenerates into your typical run of the mill Bay film complete with explosions and bad one liners. It was okay, though.Borat: As hilarious as everyone says. Everyone in the cinema burst into appaluse when he said "Pamela, I am no longer attracted to you..........NOT!"

• Paid Members

Kids is probably my least favourite film of all-time. "Look! Kids swearing every 30 seconds, taking drugs and having sex! How 'hard hitting' and 'gritty'". Dogshit. And, IIRC, Van Sant was involved in the production of it which only makes him more a knob.

"Kids" ain't a film you'd want to watch with granny. I agree with your views B.R.

He made a film where Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's brother wander around the desert for an hour and a half, exchanging about a dozen lines to one another, and yet he still gets praise.

What film was that brah?Thank you.

• Paid Members

The last 20 minutes of the documentary deal with Raab Himself's alcholism and the crew's real feelings towards each other amazing candidly (as usual Bam comes across as a bit of a dick, especially towards Raab's drink problem and Ryan Dunn comes across as a really nice down to earth guy). The last ten mins of the documentary deal with a friend (who is an infrequent CKY member) trying to kick heroin whilst staying at the Magera household with the crew - and a caring unitary side of gang (espcially Ape and Ryan) really comes across - a startling gem in an otherwise dull DVD.

I don't agree with all your thoughts on the movie but agree with this. The making of documentary is very good. The last 10 minutes is about Brandon Novak, he is off heroin now and is a regular on Bam's radio. This segment is really well done and quite sad, especially as Novak is lying to Ryan Dunn about how we just went into the woods for a cigerette and doesn't even have heroin who is torn between helping his friend and anger that his friend is lying to him and Dynn forces him to empties his pockets, sees heroin and throws him into the wall. And Deron Miller's acoustic piece "Behind The Screams" is perfect for it. While I think Bam comes across as a cock alot of the time, the fact that he personally takes care of his drug-addicted friend from the age of 14 shows that perhaps there is a side of him away from the cameras which isn't a complete smug arsehole.

HeathersA supberb dark, sickly comedy about high school, popularity and society. The script is the films winner with great lines throughout which just melt into the heart of the film through whatever aesthetic features are on the picture screen. I didn't quite find myself fully committed to the characters or the story (maybe because I watched it in 2 sittings) but its sharpness and darkness pulled through overwhelmingly.The performances on a whole are standard (HOOCH from Scrubs has a line or two!) but Winona Ryder and Christian Slater are perfect casting for this flick, they have a chemistry with each other and it's clear to see a relation to their individual characters too.Sickly black and highly enjoyable.

• Paid Members

Has anyone watched Kidulthood?.. What's it like?

i guess you could kinda look at it as a british 'kids', its basically tracking the day of a bunch of chav kids, by the end of it you'll just wish you could walk into the movie and kick all their asses cause they are cunts!it touches on the gun culture in the uk, the shit you always see in the paper these days...a similar and superior film is Bulleyboy.

• Paid Members

I saw District 13 the other night. As I am feeling incredibly lazy this morning, here's a brief synopsis from IMDB for you:

"In the near future, the worst ghettos of Paris, France are literally walled off and among the worst is District B13. Controlled by the ruthless crime lord, Taha, a young righteous punk named Le

• Paid Members

I've watched SIX films this week, That's about 6 months worth for me!

Little Black Book

My wife picked this "Chick Flick" but I really enjoyed it. It's an original idea. the casting is pretty decent, although Holly Hunter's odd mouth is distracting. Brittany Murphy is a very good actress, I've seen her on talk shows and she's one of the stupidest people you could meet, but in front of the camera, she plays a sassy, smart character with ease. There's no sickly sweet ending, just an enjoyable journey through a normal relationship.

Click

I loved this. I'm a big Sandler fan and this is as good as 50 first dates. It's a fantastic idea and without spoiling it, it tells a great tale of how you can skip through your live, miss out on people and things you lvoe and look back to regret it. It made me think about things and it's pretty funny too.

The Game

A colleague pestered me to watch this and I'm glad I did. It's a very clever thriller about an uptight, self centred businessman who's brother enrolls him in a 'game', which turns out to be a frightening and hideous experience that makes him evaluate his life. You've no idea which way it'll go even with just minutes left. I won't spoil it, but I'd watch it if I was you.

Confetti

Another interesting concept. Apparently, the dialogue is completely improvised. It gives the film a very real feel, although it's not as funny as it should be. It's about 3 couples competing for a most original wedding prize. It's quite enjoyable, but considering the cast, it should be better. I will forever be scarred from having to see the cock of that guy from The Smoking Room. If you must have nudists, have cute, lesbian nudists.

Barbershop

I really like Ice Cube and he's ace in this. He's a barber who wants better out of life and doesn't realise what he has or what effect his barbershop has on people's lives. This runs alongside a sub-plot of the theft of an ATM machine which provides great farcical moments and eventually intertwines with the main plot. A great black comedy with warm characters that is funny and leave you with that fuzzy feeling in your belly. Great stuff.

Rebound

Martin Lawrence is a bad tempered basketball coach who takes over a useless kids team after being banned from coaching his college team. It's a typical family friendly sports flick with a happy ending, but it's amusing and the characters are strong enough to hold your interest for 90 minutes. A good feel good film, watch this if you are babysitting some brats.

• Paid Members

BarbershopI really like Ice Cube and he's ace in this. He's a barber who wants better out of life and doesn't realise what he has or what effect his barbershop has on people's lives. This runs alongside a sub-plot of the theft of an ATM machine which provides great farcical moments and eventually intertwines with the main plot. A great black comedy with warm characters that is funny and leave you with that fuzzy feeling in your belly. Great stuff.

I LOVE this film! One of my favourites. I think Cedric the Entertainer is hilarious in it. Barbershop 2 is just as good!.. if not better! Any film with Queen Latifa in it must be worth the watch Edited by Murtz

Almost FamousThe subject matter of a 15 year old music enthusiast going on the road with one of the biggest bands in America in the 70s to do a piece for Rolling Stone which will be a huge story may sound a little far fetched. Until you look at the director and writer of this piece - Cameron Crowe, who did practically everything in the film.I enjoyed every aspect of this film. Billy Crudup as the troubled rock star (troubled with love and not drugs or booze) was excellent (as was Frances McDormand) and I am now intrigued to see more of his films. The script was very good and the whole story and mystery behind rock stars was dealt with in a real if predictable way, but I threw myself into it and loved it.It's funny, it's a love story and a coming-of-age drama that works all in one.