WHAT PLAY YOU?

Onyx2

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I have been doing more nerding.

Played some more PS3 this weekend at my friend's house. The initial sheen of Motorstorm is starting to wear off, and it has occurred to me that it is very much a launch title. What I mean yb that is that if I'd owned a console for a year or so and this game came out for it, I wouldn't have the slightest bit of interest in it. That's not really a criticism of the game though, because this is the case with many launch games and is to be expected. However, what has really done the damage is all the flaws I'm noticing. Getting past the ridiculous loading times (particularly when choosing your vehicle) and awful soundtrack, it's the inconsistency of what causes your car to explode horribly that really frustrates. It's a fun game, I enjoy the insanely aggressive/adventurous AI they've put into the opposition racers and the visuals continue to impress for the most part, but it certainly wouldn't be worth my

• Admin

I've played a bit of Tiger Woods on the Wii which is pretty good. It's classic Tiger Woods with lots and lots to do and unlock but I generally tend to ignore all of that and just play multiplayer or one of the Target modes.

The controls are slightly odd on the default setting. You hold down B to begin your swing but the backswing seems to be almost totally automatic and almost all of your control comes in the forward swing (and your timing of it) which feels disjointed. So instead of completing a totally natural swing with the remote you have to kind of watch the golfer's back swing on screen and start your forward swing. To me this is not at all how the remote should be used. It feels unnatural and in fact can be quirky and result in your shot going totally haywire at the worst time. Putting is even more susceptible to this. There is an "advanced" control setting which supposedly gives a more realistic control of your shot and I tried this very briefly but I can see no real difference.

Overall this is still a fantastic golf game (as all Tiger Woods games are) but it's made poor use of the Wiimote which is criminal considering it's probably one of the best games to show off what the Wii is capable of. It has me worried that EA simply aren't going to take the Wii seriously when it comes to their multi-format titles because I've not heard good things about SSX Blur either.

Apart from a proper golf game, the Wii is crying out for a Cricket game and as far as I know there hasn't been any formal announcements. Looks like there's plenty of call for one too - http://www.wiiwantcricket.com

Better still was the chance to play Mario Kart Arcade GP, which completes my aim of playing all available incarnations of Mario Kart.

What would you say is the definitive best Mario Kart then? I've been playing the DS version a lot recently and loving it, but I would have to say that the original SNES game is still the best. It had the purest courses, the tightest racing, and the original Battle arenas for bubble battle are sadly missing from the last couple of versions. It also had Feather, which is a big loss especially in multiplayer.I'd be interested to hear from another Mario Kart enthusiast.

I agree Loki, SNES version for me. Many time a bubble battle ended with my Koopa Troopa victorious although sometimes it would result in fisticuffs with my elder brother. I was Bowser for the TIme Trial mode though.

My Bowser trial time on the Ghost track (the wooden one) was world class, with the Feather jump shortcut on each lap. The feather escape from a Red shell in the bubble battle was also a personal favourite. I tend to be Mario in Battle, jack of all trades as it were.

My Bowser trial time on the Ghost track (the wooden one) was world class, with the Feather jump shortcut on each lap. The feather escape from a Red shell in the bubble battle was also a personal favourite. I tend to be Mario in Battle, jack of all trades as it were.

The greatest game ever in my opinion. Bowser and Donkey Kong were the best in the Time Trial. You'd get the cheat start and then the skid and jump on the corners and off you went. I used to love doing the simple Mario Circuit One in Time Trial. So simple yet so addictive. The ghost of the last record you set was absolute genius.

Still on MGS2. Shell 2, Strut L. Woohoo! In contrast to MGS1, some of this game is much harder than I remember it. Oddly, some other bits (the Harrier fight, for example) are much easier.I've also acquired the Mac version of The Movies, whch I loved on my PC. Great fun, although I'm still crap at it.

• Paid Members

I've played a bit of Tiger Woods on the Wii which is pretty good. It's classic Tiger Woods with lots and lots to do and unlock but I generally tend to ignore all of that and just play multiplayer or one of the Target modes.The controls are slightly odd on the default setting. You hold down B to begin your swing but the backswing seems to be almost totally automatic and almost all of your control comes in the forward swing (and your timing of it) which feels disjointed. So instead of completing a totally natural swing with the remote you have to kind of watch the golfer's back swing on screen and start your forward swing. To me this is not at all how the remote should be used. It feels unnatural and in fact can be quirky and result in your shot going totally haywire at the worst time. Putting is even more susceptible to this. There is an "advanced" control setting which supposedly gives a more realistic control of your shot and I tried this very briefly but I can see no real difference.Overall this is still a fantastic golf game (as all Tiger Woods games are) but it's made poor use of the Wiimote which is criminal considering it's probably one of the best games to show off what the Wii is capable of. It has me worried that EA simply aren't going to take the Wii seriously when it comes to their multi-format titles because I've not heard good things about SSX Blur either.Apart from a proper golf game, the Wii is crying out for a Cricket game and as far as I know there hasn't been any formal announcements. Looks like there's plenty of call for one too - http://www.wiiwantcricket.com

I kind of agree with Tiger Woods, I love the game, and could prolly play it almost non-stop for a good solid bit of time, however the swinging is never going to be done naturally, try a natural swing and you'll wind up with a large left or right spin (depending on which hand you use).I therefore tend to only bring it back halfway, and swing from there, only going up halfway, but at full force (Or less, if I need a lighter shot).Putting tho', I'm a god at :).

Today on MGS2...I'm at the bit where it starts to go squiffy and tries to throw you off ("Turn off the console... NOW!"). Had a particularly embarrassing death too: After the Harrier fight, you have to walk the pipes between two struts to carry on. Guess who slipped on bird shit and fell into the sea?Today on The Movies...Made romantic comedy "Gorillas on the Piss" and started shooting cat burglar/private eye action/love story "She Stole My Files... And My Heart". None of this is easy when your actors are stress pots and all three of your directors are alcoholics.