Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

I think it should have its own thread even though its a fight with less cache than it once would have. 

Obviously the presser was boring as fuck and Max Kellerman can do one but there is the build and the announcement of the undercard. 

Speaking of which. There are reports today that Jai Opetaia v Deontay Wilder is in negotiations. That is an interesting fight. Opetaia has shown he can be hit easily but obviously he can bang like a barn door in a hurricane and then there is Deontay. Is his punch still there, can he land before Opetaia? If it gets made it can't go to points can it?

Anyway this thread will probably be dead by November when Fury pulls out buts let's give it a go shall we. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I actually toyed with the idea of starting a thread for this earlier in the week and couldn’t be arsed. You’re right though, it definitely deserves its own thread rather than just being glossed over in the This Week’s Boxing thread like it’s some random Boxxer or Zuffa card.

Isn’t Manny Pacquiao also rumoured to be on the undercard? 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Pacquiao is rumoured for the undercard  but I haven't seen against who, though I see from his Eggsellency that has been quashed. 

I have also seen that the tickets have sold out in under an hour. Just over £13k for the most expensive. £425 to sit in the nosebleeds. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 minute ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I have also seen that the tickets have sold out in under an hour. Just over £13k for the most expensive. £425 to sit in the nosebleeds. 

Yep. And to think Turki Drummer wanted it in New York. For all the delays and all the blame to be passed around for them, this always should’ve been in the UK. Glad they at least got that sorted. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Isn’t Manny Pacquiao also rumoured to be on the undercard? 

He was, but now it seems they are trying to book him against Amir Khan on another card. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Turki Drummer

🤣

 

I really hope people use that and it sticks.

Posted (edited)

There is virtually no incentive to pay well for an undercard, other than the vanity of the promoters. It's sold out. The streams/PPV will do well. The cynical move is just put a load of bin men in against security guards and save the cash. You could headline somewhere else with Wilder/Opetaia and make some more money.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz
  • Paid Members
Posted
21 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

He was, but now it seems they are trying to book him against Amir Khan on another card. 

Christ. In 2010, sweet, I’d be all in. But in 2026? 

  • Paid Members
Posted
17 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

There is virtually no incentive to pay well for an undercard, other than the vanity of the promoters. It's sold out. The streams/PPV will do well. The cynical move is just put a load of bin men in against security guards and save the cash. You could headline somewhere else with Wilder/Opetaia and make some more money.

They are going to have to put something on because a 1am ring walk with people inside drinking for 6 hours up to that point is a recipe for a drunken riot. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

They are going to have to put something on because a 1am ring walk with people inside drinking for 6 hours up to that point is a recipe for a drunken riot. 

They could put on a re-run of Fast and the Furious on the big screens or a resurrrcted prime Ali v Foreman and the crowd would still be feral.

If Frank was at the wheel, they'd put on (admittedly very exciting) low cost British tear ups.

The Americans and Netflix might not settle for it, but I think it'd be a shame if the main card wasn't made up of rematches between Brad Foster v James Beech Jr and Shabaz Masoud v Liam Davies.

It's the traditional way.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz
Posted
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Pacquiao is rumoured for the undercard  but I haven't seen against who, though I see from his Eggsellency that has been quashed. 

I have also seen that the tickets have sold out in under an hour. Just over £13k for the most expensive. £425 to sit in the nosebleeds. 

Over 400 quid to sit in the bleachers at 1am on a December night to see a fight 5 years past its sell by date? 

Yeah, I'll take my comfy bed and a cup of Yorkshire tea over that.  

  • Paid Members
Posted

Me and my brother (and sometimes a mate or two) used to go to Boxing shows and most of the UK UFC cards but it gradually stopped as we all got older and busier and ticket prices became silly. But there was a time when me and my brother said that whenever AJ vs Fury got made, we’d be there. Fast forward a few years and instead of the trip to Wembley we always envisioned, it’s looking like he’s staying at mine that night and we’re watching it with a chippy tea and a few rums. And I’m fine with that. At 41 years old, I’d go as far as to say I prefer it. Just can’t be doing with all the pissing about with tickets, travel, hotels, dealing with twats in the crowd etc anymore when I can watch it from the comfort of my living room with a better view and my bed just a flight of stairs away when I’m knackered. Old bastard and I don’t care. The only reason to actually go now is to be able to say I was in attendance, and I don’t give a bollocks about that anymore. 

Posted

I personally found that the novelty of attending combat sports shows wore off pretty quickly. It was great the first few times, but I didn't really have any motivation to attend further events afterwards.

Part of that will be due to me being quite introverted and disliking large crowds, but I also think the TV experience is a lot more enjoyable. As Wand posted above, better view, better and cheaper refreshments, etc. 

Posted

It's such a shame we're talking about it now rather than in it's heyday when it would have been absolutely massive.. 

I saw the other day Cardiff council are still yet to approve the late finish. We will tune in to see it I'm sure, and it will be mad to finally see them across the the ring from each other, but I just cant help but think what might have been, and 1am to appease the Americans is ridiculous imo but there we go. 

Definitely agree on fights from comfort of your own home, Ive been to numerous fights over the years,had some great memories, but Ive also had some great fight nights at mine or my brothers, food, drinks, laughter, BBQs in the summer, many of those were Fury and Joshua nights in recent years, and back then we'd all talk about Fury and AJ fighting, and what a night it'd be, there would have been a few of us then, now it will probably just be me and a couple of other herberts fighting sleep before the first bell

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...