Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Few random thoughts having just finished the show, having watched it in 2 sittings - up to and including the Casino Gauntlet last night, the rest tonight. Generally speaking, I enjoyed the first half way more than the second - but I'm not sure if that's because it was better or just me.

The opener was obviously sensational, and I was truly astounded how much I enjoyed a Jericho match in 2026 (@RedTwoster, I'm guessing him going mononymous is some sort of meta Madonna/Cher reinvention reference, maybe?)

The Casino Gauntlet was a lot of fun as ever and got people on the show but couldn't help wonder if it was the kind of thing that would have made a truly cracking TV main event (in what's supposed to be a 'special' week of TV) in the interest of making the PPVs not a million years long?

The Dogs? The Jobs more like.

"It's not something we bring up often but...John Moxley and Renee Pacquette are married" - yeah, maybe don't bring it up ever (I know it's not the first time it's been referred to). The fact they're married in real life doesn't mean their characters have to be.

In terms of the "What comes next for Ospreay?" angle, presumably he's going to battle through his doubts and physical ailments to win the gruelling Owen Hart Cup in order to get the title shot at Wembley? Wouldn't shock me if it's in the final of that where he overcomes Moxley.

  • Paid Members
Posted
58 minutes ago, Statto said:

The opener was obviously sensational, and I was truly astounded how much I enjoyed a Jericho match in 2026 (@RedTwoster, I'm guessing him going mononymous is some sort of meta Madonna/Cher reinvention reference, maybe?)

I never thought of that, but you’re almost certainly right - it’s definitely going to be something like that.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I thought this was a very decent show with some very good and very bad booking choices.

The good ones - Jericho losing felt like a brave move but the right one. Ricochet needed a sold high profile win and it's way more interesting for Jericho to lose and see where he goes from here and will give him a lot more goodwill with the fans than a win would have. Kevin Knight winning the TNT title was a surprise but another good one. They are obviously very high on him and he's doing really well. The future is bright for him. Happy with Ospreay losing as it was a hard fought match and he has a clear weakness that he needs to work through storyline wise. 

The bad ones - Cope & Christian losing here, especially at the end of an excellent match (easily Cope's best AEW effort), was pretty gutting and I don't think them inevitably winning down the line will have the same impact as a win here would have. Omega losing also was very gutting. I don't really rate MJF as a PPV main event wrestler - I like his TV matches but find his big "epic" PPV matches mostly boring as hell. Found the match overlong, dull and weirdly structured with most of it being Kenny beating MJF up. I don't think they achieved anything that they couldn't have done with 20 minutes that they did in 40. I'm pretty bored of MJF's act now and an Omega title run and big match at Wembley would have been really exciting. I can't think of anything exciting they can do with MJF going forwards at all.

Overall a show filled with really excellent wrestling, especially the first half, but didn't exactly get me excited about the future. The tag title match and Andrade/Allin being the best matches of the lot. Andrade seemed really happy with his match at the end. Maybe a bit too happy, good lord!

Edited by LaGoosh
Posted

I get what MJF is generally trying to do as champion (both runs) which is trying to have these big epic main events that each represent a different match style; 4 way "pillars" spotfest/intricate multiman, Daniel Bryan hour match, Jay White WWE attitude era style match, Adam Page CZW deathmatch, Omega style match. It speaks his to his reverance for wrestling but probably exposes his own (as a person) arrogance/insecuirty where he kinda needs to show how good he is rather than necessarily doing what works for the storyline. I truely believe the performer wants to go down as the greatest of his generation and he believes he needs to do every wrestling thing to ensure that happens...  MJF as champ gets a bit exhibitiony which is odd considering his best schtick is personal blood feuds.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Overall a show filled with really excellent wrestling, especially the first half, but didn't exactly get me excited about the future. The tag title match and Andrade/Allin being the best matches of the lot. Andrade seemed really happy with his match at the end. Maybe a bit too happy, good lord!

I think we’re heading in this direction, but they’d be absolutely mad not to turn Andrade face at the earliest opportunity. The fans clearly want to cheer him, and his matches are always so much fun to watch. He’s already trounced his original run in AEW, he feels like a different wrestler. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

The cut of him when he whips those tights off, it’s hardly a stretch to think Andrade turns himself on.

Dynasty was the best show you’ll ever watch that leaves you with so little to discuss.

Seems to be a shocking amount of people talking as if Darby is winning the belt tonight. Normally I’d be dead set against it, especially given what a surprisingly great run MJF is on, but a cheeky short run for Darby, similar to Mick Foley in late ‘98, to temporarily steal the headlines from Wrestlemania? Only for MJF to win it back in front of tens of thousands in that gorgeous New York Tennis Stadium at Double or Nothing? I’ll allow it.

Hoping for Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay as the Owen Finals.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...