ITV's Celebrity Wrestling from 2005. Anyone remember this?

• Paid Members

I had tickets to go but my brother and his girlfriend took too long to eat their dinner at the pub in the high street and we then weren't allowed in to the studio.  In hindsight maybe we dodged a bullet.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, JNLister said:

Pocket Rocket

Rebel Rider

Sounds like a very different kind of show. That would have been on Channel 5.

• Paid Members

Joe E. Legend once told me how, during the filming of this, he bought a Mr. T talking key-ring, and used to call Roddy Piper and play it down the phone at him to wind him up, and continued doing it for years.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Joe E. Legend once told me how, during the filming of this, he bought a Mr. T talking key-ring, and used to call Roddy Piper and play it down the phone at him to wind him up, and continued doing it for years.

Fantastic. Filing that next to “I’ll tell them Test said to cancel the show” in the drawer marked Harmless But Hilarious Ribs.

Posted (edited)

Not only do I remember it but I worked ring crew for the subsequent 'FWA Celebrity Carnage' tour that came off the back of it.

I remember having to cut out the word 'Celebrity' from all the posters as Stevie Knight (quite rightly) didn't want his tour associated with a show that absolutely bombed. I also had to stand on Bridlington seafront and hand out flyers to passers by that had 'Celebrity' crossed out too. 

Sadly, the tour itself also bombed but it was a brilliant week touring with the wrestlers that I will never forget. Tons of stories!

D-Lo and Joe Legend were fairly pragmatic about the whole thing - I think sentences like 'Hey, I got paid to hang around Leilani Dowding and Victoria Silvstedt for 6 weeks' were used and both men absolutely cleaned up in Polaroid money during the tour. 

As for the show itself - utter wank. I think everyone was hoping for a celebrity Tough Enough and what they got was shit Gladiators. Hulk Hogans Celebrity Wrestling which aired a few years after that actually nailed the concept I thought. THAT is what ITV's Celebrity Wrestling should have been in my opinion.

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

My memories of this was the press hyping it would beat Dr WHo in the ratings, tbf I don't think anybody quite predicted how successful Dr Who would be. Merging World of Sport with Gladiators sounds like it could be a winner on paper but of course Alex Shane got his grubby sausage finger mitts all over it.