Things that you know will be good

SuperBacon

• Paid Members

The salad bar at Fazenda also has cold cuts on it. You know you’re there to satisfy primal bloodlust when the salad is also meat. 

• Paid Members

I briefly dated a Brazilian lady, who told me that the secret to any all-you-can-eat South American grill is to refuse or take as little as possible from the first several skewers, as they're trying to fill you up with the cheap cuts (and activate your "full up" sense that usually kicks in twenty minutes after you started eating) so that you don't have as much of the expensive ones, like picanha.

• Paid Members

Yeah I made that mistake the first time. Said yes to everything and got baited by the filler  meats. Also they slyly kept us waiting to be seated  and served complimentary piping hot little cheese dough ball things. A clear and obvious trap but I definitely ate several of them. 

• Paid Members

Ah, yes, pao de queijo, that’s exactly what they were. They were sensational but they definitely reduced my capacity for expensive meats, which is ultimately what I was there for. They knew what they were doing. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

When you hear about biscuits and gravy, that’s the gravy. It’s a peppery cream sauce that sometimes has sausage crumbled in it, it’s… okay.

It's incredible is what it is. 

Proper biscuits and gravy is genuinely the thing I miss most in my veganism.

• Paid Members

I found out yesterday Darren Styles lives round the corner from us. Now I know he lives close, I’m looking forward to driving past him whilst shouting “shining down on meyyyyy!” out the window at him. He’ll love that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

With all my flapping my gums about going to the Barbican more often, if this doesn't get me there, nothing will.

https://www.barbican.org.uk/whats-on/2024/event/karl-bartos-the-cabinet-of-dr-caligari

Karl Bartos: The Cabinet of Dr Caligari

Sat 22 Jun 2024, 20:00,Hall

Robert Wiene's classic 1920's psychological thriller is set to Karl Bartos' (ex-Kraftwerk) haunting narrative film music and sound design. 

The original, long lost, orchestral soundtrack (Giuseppe Becce) has given way to an immersive listening experience. Special sound effects match the action as we enter the film as both spectator and participant. A creaking door, foot-steps on gravel, the turning of pages in a ledger, and a half-heard fragment of dialogue are seamlessly synchronised to the action on screen.

Composing on piano and computer, Bartos approached the task as would any earlier composer, painstakingly creating a score which was then electronically orchestrated with the help of his musical partner, sound engineer Mathias Black.

Beautifully restored by the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Foundation, experience a screening of The Cabinet of Dr Caligari set to Bartos' live film score. 

Edited by Carbomb