UFC 290: Volkanovski vs Rodriguez - Jul 8 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins?   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Bruce85 said:

Not sure what’s next for Bobby knuckles now, he’s beaten most people. 

With everything else going on I never even thought of what’s next for Whittaker. Like you say he’s pretty much already fought everyone. There are a couple of fresh fights left though. The winner of the upcoming Paulo Costa vs Ikram Aliskerov fight at 292 next month being the most obvious. He could also fight Khamzat Chimaev when he inevitably moves up to 185. Whittaker’s in a funny spot now though because I think he’s in the right division. I don’t think he can make 170 anymore, healthily anyway, and I don’t know, 205 seems a bit much for him. I think Middleweight is where he belongs but he’s in limbo now. 

• Paid Members

I'd have been happy to see him smash up Strickland, but you always worry when a fighter gets beaten like that, in the later stages of their career, whether or not it's the beginning of a decline, and I don't want to see Prickland get one on Bobby Knuckles.

For some reason I thought he’d already beat Costa, that could be a good fight. But like Carbomb said, could this be the first signs that Whittaker is on the slide. I guess it’s hard to tell of the back of one fight so it will be interesting to see how he looks next time out. 

• Paid Members

Jesus oh, but that was one hell of a fight card wasn't it? I just got home from holiday last night and watched the show in two parts, when I got home and the rest this morning. It's card of the year already. Not to this point, but just close the polling on that now. No way anything tops this as a full show in the rest of 2023. 

Volkanovski is just so thoroughly talented. It's a pleasure watching someone on that kind of level, where they are just dialled in and so complete. It's like the MMA equivalent of watching Messi or Ronaldo in the football in 2009-2015. You're getting to watch greatness in the here and now. Volk is going to leave a legacy that I think few will ever get close to. When he does make that move up to 155 again you just have to bet on him that he knows exactly how to make the adjustments to close the gap between his last go at it. 

I scored the fight for Pantoja too, wouldn't have been unfair being 48-47 the other way either, but I hope the crowd were only booing because they were fans of Moreno and not because they thought the decision was wrong. At the end of that fight, that decision was the most likely outcome. Moreno needed to step on the pedal in that fifth round and find the finish I think. I felt Pantoja only needed to win the round, and that's how it played out. Incredible fight. 

Shocked to death how DDP beat Whittaker. Not just that he beat him, but to hurt him in the manner he did. Well done that man. The right hook to the body was a thing of beauty. It's certainly provided Adesanya with a more interesting fight in the aftermath. Speaking of Adesanya . . .oof. Adesanya may feel Du Plessis started this, but Adesanya let himself down an absolute bucketfull in the cage after the fight. If he was drunk, then I hope the next day he realised he made a total moron of himself. This whole thing is going to descend into bad depths it feels like. I'm hoping we saw the worst of it at that show from the weekend, but I doubt it.

At the end of the day, the "Where are you from? No, I mean where are you really from" talk is not going to end up anywhere pleasant. Anyway, fuck the Andrew Tate lover (of which I'm sure there are bazillions of in the MMA landscape). Get it done DDP. 

Robbie Lawler. What a way to do it. He turned back the clock in this one. I thought he looked good against Bryan Barbarena too, but he couldn't hold out to the damage for as long as Bam Bam could and I thought that could be a similar problem here. Price always shows up to get in your face and play last man standing. Robbie didn't give him the chance to turn up. An absolute thing of beauty seeing the great man point his arms to the ceiling right after and realise he had grabbed that most elusive of moments in MMA, finishing on a win, when the lights are on bright, on your own terms. Hopefully it sustains him through any desires of a comeback. 

• Paid Members

Can we leave all the 'Andrew Tate lover' stuff please? Tate is a twat no doubt, but the vast majority of fighters appear ultra right, Trump nuts (DDP went over to chat to him post fight himself and appeared enamoured with it all) 

If we're gonna use their political opinions and who they are fans of as a grounds to like or dislike them then we're gonna be left with pretty slim pickings. 

• Paid Members

Sorry man, but, with genuine respect to you, no; I'm not leaving it. It's your prerogative not to, and I've no issue with you not doing so for the reasons you've outlined, but I have my criteria, and if I'm disappointed, then it sucks to be me, and I'll live with it.

• Paid Members

I'm not saying people shouldn't be held accountable. But if Israel hadn't popped off, does DDP get the heat because he's a Trump fan? 

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other. You've got plenty to get stuck into with cage fighters as we're all aware of where the majority stand. You can call me uninformed or ignorant if you like, but I come here to read/talk about the fights, not which political party they support or which ever twat influencer they endorse. If that's your game, then please crack on. Not for me though. 

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

I'm not saying people shouldn't be held accountable. But if Israel hadn't popped off, does DDP get the heat because he's a Trump fan? 

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other. You've got plenty to get stuck into with cage fighters as we're all aware of where the majority stand. You can call me uninformed or ignorant if you like, but I come here to read/talk about the fights, not which political party they support or which ever twat influencer they endorse. If that's your game, then please crack on. Not for me though. 

Didn't know about DDP being a Trump fan, but not surprised. But hey - that's the disappointment I'm prepared to live with. 

Whilst we don't know each other that well, I'd like to think that you know I wouldn't call someone like yourself uninformed or ignorant.  As I said, I respect your prerogative not to factor in someone's political beliefs into your decision to support or even watch them; I understand the logic of it, and I know I really should apply it to my own viewing, so as not to be disappointed on a regular basis. But it's really quite difficult for me; we're living in an age where the politics of the day really permeates everything, and I'm just so tired of seeing that kind of cunt going unanswered - my own refusal to watch or support them doesn't affect them, but it does affect me, because it's one of the few things I can actively do to make myself feel better about the whole situation. I also take heart from people on here stating that position as well, as it helps me feel less alone against all that shit.

As things stand, I now find myself without a dog in the fight, and, as I said - sucks to be me, then. Probably best not to watch MMA until Evan Tanner gets resurrected.

Just now, Silky Kisser said:

But if Israel hadn't popped off, does DDP get the heat because he's a Trump fan? 

Is he a Trump fan though? I've not seen him say anything about Trump. Or is this all stemming from the fact that he jumped the cage and went over to Dana White, and shook hands with Trump who happened to be sitting next to him?

I haven't seen Du Plessis share anything about Trump on his socials, although I do admit I'm not on socials as much as others may be. Does he endorse Trump? If he is a Trump fan he'd surely be retweeting the shit out of that video capturing his handshake? But there's absolutely nothing I can see on any of DDP's social channels to highlight it?

I personally believe that Trump being friends with Dana and being at some events puts some fighters in a tough spot. When Dana is standing there beaming his big shit-eating grin like a proud father, and Trump is telling you he loved your fight and offers his hand and poses for a photo op, what do you do? Tell him to get to fuck and risk the wrath of the boss man?

• Paid Members

Yeah, whilst it was disappointing to see Trump at the centre of so many things on that show the other night, and I imagine quite a lot of fighters do, unfortunately, support him and his ideologies - if he congratulates you after your fight and you accept/offer to shake his hand, in that moment it's an understandable action for that person to take, whether they like him or not. Even if you wanted nothing to do with Trump, it would make a very big statement to, under duress & in the heat of the moment, totally blank him. It'd be funny as shit, but pretty unexpected. 

There's a bit of difference to what Du Plessis did (he may be a big Trump lover, I'm not sure) and what say Colby, Jorge etc do on a regular basis with regards to Trump. As well as that, see Michael Chandler's socials from the event. A clear as day showing that he was proud as punch to be around the Oompa Loompa. 

I forgot to mention about Hooker/Turner. It's rare that a fight that good is going to be second best in the night, but that shows to the quality of this show. It's unfortunate for the pair of them that their pay didn't get a bonus boost considering Turner getting the loss and Hooker's injuries likely keeping him out for a bit. Hooker needed this win though. Turner has time on his side but Hooker's egg timer is running low. Endless interesting fights for both coming off of this too. 

• Paid Members

I have no idea if he's a massive Trump fan or not. The video I saw showed him jumping out the Octagon to make a beeline for him though. Either way, my input in this was that I'm not arsed about their politics or whatever social ideas they allign with. As you've said before David, they punch each other in the head for a living. What do we expect. 

Over and out. 

12 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

The video I saw showed him jumping out the Octagon to make a beeline for him though.

Not really, if he watch the footage you'll see that he makes a beeline for Dana, and while he's shaking Trumps hand he's actually engaged in a conversation with Dana, who can be heard saying something like "hell of a fight" and "you're next in line" which I assume means the title shot that was announced a few minutes later.

I think Trump was simply there, rather than Du Plessis heading over to see Trump. 

In actual fact, Adesanya is a bit of Trump fanboy. There's photos of them together, and he's talked about how Trump has messaged him personally to tell him he's his favourite fighter and that he can't wait to see him fight again.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Adesanya is a bit of Trump fanboy. There's photos of them together, and he's talked about how Trump has messaged him personally 

I genuinely read that as ‘massaged’ then. That’s dinner ruined.