UFC Vegas: Dern vs Yan - Oct 1 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Another Fight Night. Another trip to the Apex.

3-A6-A6-F04-99-C6-491-E-9080-D9-D96-FD39

ESPN MAIN CARD
Mackenzie Dern vs Yan XiaonanĀ 

Randy Brown vs Francisco TrinaldoĀ 

Raoni Barcelos vs Trevin JonesĀ 

Sodiq Yusuff vs Don ShainisĀ 

John Castaneda vs Daniel SantosĀ 

Mike Davis vs Viacheslav BorshchevĀ 

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMS
Alexey Oleynik vs Ilir LatifiĀ 

Joaquim Silva vs Jesse Ronson

Brendan Allen vs Krzysztof JotkoĀ 

Maxim Grishin vs Philipe Lins

Julija Stoliarenko vs Chelsea Chandler

Randy Costa vs Guido CannettiĀ 

Ā 

Not in love with this card but itā€™ll do, I guess. After a couple of weeks with no UFC, thisā€™ll probably go down a little bit better than it usually would. Not amazing but thereā€™s stuff scattered throughout this one that should be worth a look.

Ā 

244866-AE-DC86-4030-9618-3-C6-BB40-EF961

Mackenzie Dern vs Yan Xiaonan tops this one. Not gonna pretend Iā€™m counting the days to this fight. I donā€™t hate it though. Itā€™s nowhere near some of the scraping the barrel shite weā€™ve been subjected to as Fight Night headliners in the past. At this point I think Dern in the odd 5 rounder is fine. Itā€™s Yan as the opponent which is leaving me a tad cold but Iā€™ll deal with it. Iā€™ll get over it.

5814737-A-7-F5-D-49-B4-84-FE-C10-C53-CE7

Dernā€™s 29 years old and sheā€™s 12-2 with 7 submissions. She entered MMA in 2016 with a fair bit of buzz as a BJJ world champion and black-belt. Started off in LFA and Invicta before being snapped up by the UFC after her 5th fight. There were high hopes but she didnā€™t wow anyone with her uninspiring split decision win over Ashley Yoder in her UFC debut and, although she made short work of Amanda Cooper in her next outing, sheā€™d missed weight going in. And it wasnā€™t a one-off. At this stage, Dern was undefeatedĀ at 7-0Ā but in only 7 fights sheā€™d already missed weight 3 times. She suffered her first loss in 2019, a decision to Amanda Ribas, and then took time out to have her baby. She returned in 2020 and was on fire. She rattled off 4 straight wins, 3 were first round submissions and she got 3 POTN bonuses. Not only that, she seemed to have gotten the weight cut figured out as well. The mini streak came to an end last October though, when she lost her first 5 round main event to Marina Rodriguez. It was a pretty good fight and Dern certainly had her moments but it was a clear Rodriguez win. Dern has since bounced back with a points win over Tecia Torres at UFC 273 in April.

4716-C468-5912-422-A-87-BB-9-F68-FF7382-

Yan Xiaonan is 33 and has a record of 15-3-0-1 with 7 knockouts. Sheā€™s got decent UFC wins over the likes of Angela Hill, Karolina Kowalkiewicz and Claudia Gadelha. But I remember sod all of any of that and I know I mustā€™ve seen those fights. Overall sheā€™s had a bit of a forgettable run. I was a bit shocked when I looked her record up and saw 7 wins by knockout but they all came pre-UFC. Sheā€™s been a full-on decision merchant on the big stage. Not a bad fighter, just nothing remarkable or outstanding about her. Sheā€™s coming off back-to-back losses here as well. Lost a split against Marina Rodriguez in March and before that she got beat to a bloody pulp and TKOā€™d by Carla Esparza last year. So the timing seems a bit odd for her to get her first main event. You know what this is though. Theyā€™re no doubt hoping Dern shines here and can get back in the race towards a title shot. Itā€™s not like theyā€™ve protected her or given her soft matchups but I think theyā€™d definitely like her to get in the title mix. I would as well, to be honest. Strawweight is a fun little division at the top end. If she can level up a bit thereā€™s some really good fights to make with her and the top contenders. Weā€™ll see how she looks here. I remember her cardio flagging in the Rodriguez fight as it went on so itā€™ll be interesting to see if sheā€™s made the necessary adjustments here and see how she does if this one goes long. Not the best of main events but an intriguing test for Dern.

Ā 

39278186-12-AB-4761-9-FCC-624-C729-A2461

Randy Brown vs Francisco Trinaldo as co-main seems a bit weird but, like the headliner, I kind of like it as a bit of a litmus test for Brown. Heā€™s a guy Iā€™ve enjoyed watching on the undercards and prelims for a few years now. He showed flashes of legitimate potential a few times but wasnā€™t really able to find consistency until fairly recently. Heā€™s 15-4 with 11 finishes now and has won 5 of his last 6. Hasnā€™t been beating a whoā€™s who but wins over Khaos Williams, Cowboy Oliveira and a TKO over Bryan Barberena isnā€™t too shabby. At 6ā€™3ā€ with a 78in reach, heā€™s a big fucker for Welterweight as well. Trinaldo is a hurdle many a promising up and comer has fallen at though. At 44 years old, heā€™s still plugging away and going strong. Heā€™s also won 5 of his last 6 and heā€™s coming off a couple of wins. You look back over his career as well, heā€™s got a better record than I think a lot of people realise. Wins over Paul Felder, Bobby Green, Jim Miller, Ross Pearson etc. Heā€™s no pushover. Tough bastard as well. In 36 fights and 10 years in the UFC, heā€™s never been knocked out or TKOā€™d. Iā€™m not even sure if heā€™s been knocked down! He probably has been but nothing is jumping out in my memory. He is beatable, you have to have something about you but he is beatable. But itā€™s like heā€™s made of stone or marble or something. Hard as fuck.

Ā 

4-E7867-CD-5-E54-4029-8-BF4-E1-A5-A64054

Raoni Barcelos vs Trevin Jones could be fun. Really like watching Barcelos. Everyone was on his dick for a while but heā€™s lost a couple of decisions recently and, typical of fickle MMA fans, the bandwagon emptied. He looked great in a few of his earlier UFC fights though. Put a serious beating on Khalid Taha, beat Said Nurmagomedov, I remember the Kurt Holobaugh fight and finish being impressive. He looked the business until recently. But heā€™s 35 now. Heā€™s exciting to watch but he was probably never the hot prospect everyone briefly thought he might be. Just a bit too long in the tooth. A welcome addition to the middle of the pack in the fantastic Bantamweight division though. I donā€™t recall much of Jones and heā€™s coming off some losses himself. Heā€™s 13-8-0-1. I remember him looking great in stopping Mario Bautista a while back but it seems heā€™s struggled against pretty much anyone better than that.

Ā 

20200-CA8-0979-40-BA-BD37-6-D59633-DD409

Sodiq Yusuff vs Don Shainis. Not the original plan. Yusuff was supposed to fight Giga Chikadze on the Sandhagen vs Song card but Chikadze dropped out. Sucks for Yusuff. That wouldā€™ve been a nice opportunity for him, Chikadze was on a roll and being hyped up before the Kattar loss. Now heā€™s in with a guy whoā€™s making his UFC debut. I guess Yusuff just wants in there after going through a full training camp for Chikadze. These late switch ups are always a risk though. New kid Shainis is 12-3 with 10 finishes and is on a 5 fight winning streak. Heā€™s the Cage Titans Featherweight champ and the Fighting Alliance Lightweight champ. This oneā€™s at 145.

Ā 

91-AFCAEE-A688-43-BB-8-C1-A-E2-EEF7-B9-E

John Castaneda vs Daniel Santos. Quite looking forward to seeing Castaneda back in there actually. Old ā€˜Sexi Mexiā€™ as heā€™s also known. Heā€™s 19-5 with 14 finishes, had a bit of a hit and miss run prior to signing with the UFC and lost his Octagon debut against Nathaniel Wood. Heā€™s since rattled off back-to-back finishes over Eddie Wineland and Ā Miles Johns though. Bashed up Wineland in a round but Winelandā€™s career was on its arse by then and heā€™s since retired. I thought he looked great against Johns though. And I was starting to rate Johns going into that one. Castaneda broke him down, hurt him on the feet and finished it with a sweet arm triangle. Not as familiar with Santos but heā€™s a Chute Boxe guy so you know Iā€™ve got a soft spot there. Heā€™s 8-2 with 5 finishes but is coming off a points loss in his UFC debut against Julio Arce in April.

Ā 

64-EF1099-DCD2-4600-B8-E3-EAE0-F6-F1096-

Mike Davis vs Viacheslav Borshchev is ***WANDā€™S ONE TO WATCH***Ā here. Slava Claus is coming to town. This could be a corker actually. This card isnā€™t exactly heaving with mouth watering matchups but this one has really caught my eye. Davis is a fighter who really looks like he could be a problem but we just havenā€™t seen enough of him. Heā€™s 9-2 overall, 8 finishes and the only losses have been against Gilbert Burns and Sodiq Yusuff. No shame there. And itā€™s still relatively early in his career in terms of number of fights. The main issue with Davis has been inactivity. Some on here will probably remember Davis for the time he slaughtered a badly outmatched Thomas Gifford back in 2019ā€¦

image.gif.fea2ee1d9308ec1409ea9dcc15dfa5e0.gif

The knockout was brutal enough but that came in the dying seconds of the third round. There was nearly 15 minutes of GBH prior to that. A drawn out battering that was actually quite uncomfortable and disturbing to watch the longer it went on. Davis missed well over a year of action following that win though, various injuries and weight cutting issues kept him on the sidelines. He finally came back in January 2021, handed Mason Jones his first loss in a really good scrapā€¦and hasnā€™t fought since again. So another 22 months out! Hopefully he makes it to the cage this time.

image.gif.ee9574787866389adf9f87d6b00bcc34.gif

Slava Claus should be bang up for this. I actually dipped into DWCS earlier this year and it just so happened to be the episode with this sod on. Instantly became a fan. I think itā€™s clear heā€™s not going far in a loaded division like 155. Heā€™s 6-2 with 5 knockouts but he got exposed big time by Marc Diakiese in his last fight. He can definitely whack, and his body shot stoppage in his UFC debut was ace. But Diakiese wasnā€™t playing that game and just wrestled the arse off him for the full 15 minutes. Proper demoralising stuff. He had nothing on the ground. So yeah, my expectations for him going forward arenā€™t high and thereā€™s an obvious blueprint for Davis to follow here that could make this very straightforward for him. But I canā€™t see this looking like the Diakiese fight myself. I think Davis is gonna wanna make a big statement after the layoff. I sense fireworks. Another one of those fights that you see booked and realise just how deep that Lightweight division really is.

Ā 

41-DCD22-A-DDA0-4-FE2-A541-D69216-DC7-C3

Alexey Oleynik vs Ilir Latifi is a clash of two of my favourite Heavyweights. Neither of which were ever gonna amount to much really in the UFC but Iā€™ve always liked both and theyā€™ve had fairly interesting careers. At 45 years old, Oleynikā€™s surely approaching the finish line of his career. Thisā€™ll be his 78th MMA fight. SEVENTY EIGHT! Heā€™s had 60 wins, finished 55 of them, submitted 47 of them, withĀ 14 via EzekielĀ choke! At one point earlier in his career he ended 4 consecutive fights with the Ezekiel. Crazy. Heā€™s also partial to scarf chokes and neck cranks.

F6-B1-E8-DA-538-F-4242-A046-22-A0-E03-EA

Basically, you do not wanna be on the mat with this bastard. Not a bad list of names on his resume either. While heā€™s never been a contender or a big player in the division, heā€™s beat some guys who absolutely were in that bracket. Wins over the likes of Fabricio Werdum, Mark Hunt and Mirko Cro Cop are his standouts! He comes into this fight off a first round scarf choke submission over Jared Vanderaa in April. He got a POTN bonus for that and also snapped a shitty 3 fight losing skid in the process.

5883-EEF3-ABE9-414-C-A56-C-BAC56-CAB6037

Forum favourite Ilir Latifi stands in his way though. Just a tank of a man. Heā€™s no spring chicken himself at 39 years old but he hasnā€™t had nearly the amount of miles on him. Heā€™s 15-8-0-1 and he also got a much needed win last time out over Tanner Boser, after a 3 fight losing streak of his own. That was over a year ago now though. He had maybe the weirdest MMA debut ever in 2008 when his fight with Blagoy Ivanov ended in a No Contest after those two big lumps somehow broke the ring less than a minute into the fight. Bit of an odd fight this and Iā€™m not really looking forward to seeing either lose at this stage but itā€™ll be interesting to see how they match up. Iā€™d have to favour Oleynik myself, even now in the twilight of his career. But can Oleynik choke a man with no neck?

Ā 

4248-D646-FCCB-402-D-BEED-80-F6273-ECE07

Joaquim Silva vs Jesse Ronson. Pure filler. Barely remember either and looking at their records, I can see why. Silvaā€™s 11-3, has lost 3 of his last 4 and has barely fought the last few years. Got knocked out by Nasrat Haqparast in 2019, disappeared, resurfaced last year and got clobbered by Ricky Glenn in 37 seconds. Ronsonā€™s 21-11-0-1 and has won only once out of his last 5 fights. He did get a submission win over Nicolas Dalby in his UFC debut in 2020, cut a promo talking shit after and then proceeded to get himself popped by USADA. He came back from his suspension in April, only to get submitted by Rafa Garcia.

Ā 

ECA2-CF59-F46-C-4-A5-B-9912-43-F8348-C4-

Brendan Allen vs Krzysztof Jotko then. Fucking Jotko again. The male Katlyn Chookagian. Just does fuck all for me. Heā€™s 24-5 and has fought in the UFC since 2013, 16 times, and all I remember is he occasionally does a spinaroonie when he wins. His fights pretty much always go the distance and theyā€™re no fun to watch. Like Chookagian, heā€™s effective enough to where he wins a lot more than he loses, but Christ heā€™s a dullard. He even dragged Gerald Meerschaert to a stinker last time out in May. Ruined Geraldā€™s little win streak as well, the prick. Hopefully Allen chins him here. Iā€™ve got time for Allen. Heā€™s the total opposite to Jotko, really fun fighter to watch. Heā€™s 19-5 with 15 finishes and comes in off a couple of wins over Sam Alvey (Ha!) and Jacob Malkoun. He also beat Punahele Soriano in 2021 and Kyle Daukaus in 2020, in a couple of forgotten gems. And also subbed Kevin Holland back in 2019. Still only 26 as well. Heā€™s had some setbacks and thereā€™s a very real likelihood that Jotko just shuts him down and nullifies him to a shite 30-26 decision but Iā€™m hoping Allen can make something happen and end the misery here.

Ā 

7-CA240-D8-8-DE2-4191-8739-9-F3447-E9-F1

Maxim Grishin vs Philipe Lins is just there. Not arsed. Grishinā€™s Russian, 38 years old with a record ofĀ 32-9-2. He did actually have a few notable pre-UFC wins. He subbed Alexander Volkov on a M-1 show back in 2010 and TKOā€™d Trevor Prangley in 2014. Also got stopped by Ankalaev in 4 rounds in 2016. Had an alright little run in the PFL. Heā€™s knocked about a bit. Hasnā€™t blown me away in the UFC though. Heā€™s gone 2-2 so far. Wins over Gadzhimurad Antigulov and William Knight, losses to Marcin Tybura and Dustin Jacoby. Lins is kind of the Brazilian version of Lins. Heā€™s 37 with a 15-5 record. Had a stint in Bellator and got stopped in a round by Vadim Nemkov, did actually win the PFL tournament in 2018 but has gone 1-2 in the UFC. Nothing happening fight on paper but maybe theyā€™ll match up well.

Ā 

CDF3-F89-C-C50-D-4-A9-E-92-AE-FBDE13-D0-

Julija Stoliarenko vs Chelsea Chandler. Nothing special but might be alright. Stoliarenko will probably never amount to much but sheā€™s grown on me the short time sheā€™s been in the UFC so far. Sheā€™d just won the Invicta belt when she made her Octagon debut but then swiftly lost 3 fights on the trot. She had a really fun scrap with Julia Avila in there but a loss all the same. She finally got her first UFC win in July, subbing Jessica Rose Clark in under a minute with a nasty looking armbar.

image.gif.c9de79edbe0149d4a93f2be98919d459.gif

šŸ˜¬

She then casually talked about being willing to snap limbs if need be and at that point she got me as a fan. Chelsea Chandler makes her debut here. Sheā€™s 28 and from Stockton, California and trains at Cesar Gracieā€™s. Home of the Diaz brothers. Sheā€™s 4-1 with 2 finishes and all her fights have been in Invicta. Havenā€™t seen her fight and canā€™t find much else out there on her.

Ā 

10233-B25-53-A6-40-E0-959-F-958-E7-F385-

Randy Costa vs Guido Cannetti might be fun. Costaā€™s a funny one though. Heā€™s shown little glimpses of real potential but it just hasnā€™t translated to consistency in getting results in the cage. Heā€™s mega aggressive which makes him exciting to watch, but I think itā€™s worked against him at times as well. Especially in the loss to Adrian Yanez last summer. He was looking fantastic in the opening round of that fight but couldnā€™t keep up that blistering pace and Yanez toughed it out and wound up folding him with a nasty body shot. Costa then got stopped by dickhead Tony Kelley in December. So thatā€™s two losses on the bounce, taking him to 6-3 overall. Not the best. This is a fight he should be winning though. Cannetti is 42 years old and 9-6 in MMA. He stopped Kris Moutinho last time but Moutinho is cack. Cannetti had lost 3 straight before that and Iā€™ve never thought much of him. If Costa loses this itā€™s not looking good for him.

Ā 

Again, itā€™ll do. One step closer to UFC 280.Ā 

2C5B336B-425E-4685-B695-0D112B8C30A6.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Nothing official has come out but Amy Kaplan who has been tweeting about this all week has apparently stated she's been told Mark Zuckerberg has bought out the event and that's why there will be no fans or media. Something to do with VR has been talked about.Ā 

Hasn't there been talk that Zuckerberg has been training MMA recently too?Ā 

This is all very odd.Ā