UFC 281: Adesanya vs Pereira - Nov 12 🇺🇸🗽

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

There's no logic to it really is there, just Dana and UFC talking. 

Punk was an anomoly. He was signed purely for the eyeballs it would attract. His MMA skills, or where he was at in his career were not relevant to anything. 

If there is money to be made the UFC will sign anyone. Heavyweight is always weak on numbers so they probably thought Arlovski was worth a punt in an already thin division. Alvarez has won 1 fight since he left the UFC and I can't Imagine he'd fight for peanuts. They probably don't see him worth investing in when 155 is already stacked with names. 

That's absolutely fine - all Dana has to do is say "we'll only sign guys who can give us value for money, i.e. if they can't win fights, they can draw eyeballs, or at least entertain people". That said, I would've thought that Alvarez vs. Chandler III would be a bit of bunce at least.

Perhaps it's something we'll get in Bellator, One or the PFL when Chandler is released. But by the time that happens, both fighters will probably be way too shot for anyone to care.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

That's absolutely fine - all Dana has to do is say "we'll only sign guys who can give us value for money, i.e. if they can't win fights, they can draw eyeballs, or at least entertain people". 

You know well enough that they'll say what they want. They aren't in the business of explaining themselves to anyone. A month back Dana claimed the empty Apex show was nothing to do with Mark Zuckerberg when it emerged a few days later that it was. 

If they think they can get more money out of Alvarez than they pay him maybe they will. He's pushing 40 though and if the only thing on the horizon is a trilogy with Chandler in a division that's already stacked with talent I'd imagine Alvarez is gonna have to go cap in hand for that to come off. I'd like to be wrong though. 

Personally, I think the next time we see Chandler will be when McGregor waltzes back in. Its a winnable fight for Conor against a big name in the division.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

You know well enough that they'll say what they want. They aren't in the business of explaining themselves to anyone. A month back Dana claimed the empty Apex show was nothing to do with Mark Zuckerberg when it emerged a few days later that it was. 

To clarify: I know that specifically - what I meant was "All he has to do is be honest, and I won't call him a bullshitting man-child". Not that he or anyone would care - it's just the barrier to my having any modicum of regard for anything he says. 

I do wonder how winnable Chandler is for McG - it all depends on how much that injury affected him, even with the long layoff. Plus, I think the lightweight division might have moved on without him - it's not an indicator in itself, but Poirier going 2-1 up against him hints at the possibility that someone like Chandler might not be as easy a scalp as we might have thought only a few years ago.

• Paid Members

I hope McGregor never wins another fight again. Whoever he’s against I’ll be rooting for them.

Edit - just thought, if he fights Paddy Pimblett I’ll be rooting for a double knockout. 

Edited by wandshogun09

To be fair, I can see Dana's logic with not wanting Alvarez. Out of the people watching this PPV, what percent remember who Alvarez is, and how many even know about their first two fights. Probably 1% know both. When theres already at least 5 names already signed who make more sense for Chandler to fight, then I cant see much upside of getting Eddie in just for this.

Thought this was a fantastic show. Esparza's performance is surely up there as one of the worst title defence performances of all time. She looked completley out of her depth, and seemingly just stopped fighting the hands so she could quit.

During the hype for the fight, they brought up Tatiana Suarez. Just checked, and she hasnt fought for 3 years! Whats going on there? She looked like she was going to be a real problem for the division.

• Paid Members

Been a heck of a week that's still ongoing, but in true UKFF fashion, a workplace toilet break is the time to get a chance to catch up on some thoughts in here. 

A brilliant show all round. Nothing outstayed it's welcome, and some genuinely shocking moments, Adesanya losing the title right at the end, in a fight he was winning, being the primary one. It's strange now, because you have to think there's an immediate re-match on the cards now. However if Adesanya wind, do they go right to the third fight? At the end of the day, he'd still be 1-3 against Pereira in combat sports. I wouldn't be averse to booking Whittaker Vs Pereira in Perth and giving Adesanya the winner. It was, as expected, Adesanya's most exciting fight in quite a while, and his best performance since he tried to bum Paulo Costa. It's a shame for him how it ended, but Pereira, with power and striking skills like that, is in it right until Joe Rogan's bulbous head pops up with a microphone. 

Please let this be it Frankie. This result was obvious. I hope he can walk away now. 

Dominick Reyes continues his form of only ever impressing me one time that I can remember, and that was in the losing effort to Jones. Unfortunately for Reyes, he appears shit to bits. 

Brad Riddell has been having a right rough time of it hasn't he? If ever there was a man in dire need of a fight against someone that's all sizzle and no steak, like Paddy Pimblett, it's ol' Brad. 

Michael Chandler and Dustin Poirier only know one way don't they? Bottle this shit up and live in it guys, because this era of killer after killer lightweight fighters having routinely high level, barn burners surely can't continue indefinitely. That's what it's been for a while now though. Fucking nutters the lot of them. I think Chandler smokes needle hole McG though. Way, way too durable for a man that throws everything as if he's trying to fell a buffalo. Chandler by KO between 4 and 6 minutes total fight time. 

Not sure what happens next with Dustin. I'd like to see him win one more before Makhachev/Volk. I guess that's key there, depends who wins. I'd go with Dustin Vs Dariush, winner fights for the belt. Give Oliveira someone else coming off a loss - Gamrot could be interesting. 

• Paid Members

Dustin has actually expressed interest in fighting Dariush which I wasn’t really expecting because Dariush is a risky fight without the big name. Fair play to him. I’m sure he could’ve just campaigned for a Gaethje rematch or McGregor or…(shudder)…Tony Ferguson 🫣 someone like that. Dariush is highly ranked though so it makes sense if Dustin still fancies a run at 155 gold and isn’t ready to just fall into the ‘name fights’ phase of his career.

I really hope they make Poirier vs Dariush now. The more I think about it, it’s perfect matchmaking. A win for Poirier would legitimately earn him another crack at it and a fight with the winner of Makhachev vs Volk would be fresh. And for Dariush, it’s the one thing his resume is missing. That signature win against a top established name in the division. A win over Poirier would fill that void. If we get Poirier vs Dariush and Gaethje vs Fiziev (and Gaethje has hinted at that recently) I’ll be well happy. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeh, I'd say Poirier's still got a shout of staying in the title mix if he keeps active. I wonder if he'd be open to a rematch with Zombie at some point, to get his win back? Zombie's still relevant, to a limited degree.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Yeh, I'd say Poirier's still got a shout of staying in the title mix if he keeps active. I wonder if he'd be open to a rematch with Zombie at some point, to get his win back? Zombie's still relevant, to a limited degree.

Think there's an expectation that Zombie may retire after a fight on the Seoul card. Also he's stayed a featherweight and Poirier has been at lightweight for a long time now. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Nah, different weight classes now. Poirier is too big these days to go back down and Zombie hasn’t shown much interest in moving up. On top of that, the talk is that the February card in Seoul is gonna be Zombie’s last fight. I’m hoping for Zombie vs Cub Swanson myself. 

• Paid Members

the UFC have posted in cage footage and subtitled the interraction between Poirier/Chandler post fight:

some people getting on Dustin for not being overly respectful in the moment, get to fuck. Literally moments after he's just been in a war, adrenaline and whatever else running through him, give the guy a break.

• Paid Members

Eh, a bit of a non-event, really. If they can squash it right there and then, right after a fight, they're probably even better now that they've had a chance to calm down.