Combat Wrestling Association (Birmingham) info?

Mattf1983

Anyone got much info on this company? 

With this event... 

1. Jay Dillon vs Andrew Payne
  2. Gangster vs Rampage
  3. UK Pitbulls vs Coalminers
  4. Bodycount vs Jack Xavier
  5. Ricky Knight vs ??
  6. Doug Williams vs Mr. Nothing
  7. Andy Hogg vs Carnage vs Mark Priest
  8. Guy Thunder vs Scott Parker
  9. CZW Heavyweight Title, Extreme Toolbox 5000 Thumbtack Death Match: Zandig (c) vs Poison
  10. CZW Heavyweight Title: Zandig (c) vs Wifebeater

Looking for info on 'POISON'  

Cheers folks 

• Paid Members

This was around April 2001 in a place called the Hardy Spicer Social Club near central Birmingham. 

The wrestlers on this show were predominantly guys from Soverign Championship Wrestling and Hardy Spicer was a regular venue for them so i think it was something to do with them under a different name. 

Poison wrestled around the midlands in the early 2000s and I think trained in the states before coming back and training some of the guys associated with SCW and this show. I think he went back to The States not long after this. I was on a show with him for BRAWL in August 2001 but he didn’t do much after that. He was back in the UK around 2015 as I saw him at an ICW show at Rock City in Notts. 

He was involved with the AIWF guys (from the Louie Theroux documentary) as some midlands promotions grouped together under the AIWF-UK banner for about a month before someone fell out with someone. 

Mark Priest used to post in here as @Linus but not sure if he still monitors his account. 

Edited by El Mistique

Umm cheers for the info El mistique, I'll look a little deeper into the whereabouts of poison these days I've seen the show on a rough vhs copy from way back when I'm in the process of doing a deathmatch / horror wrestling podcast so he's an obscure character whom I wouldn't mind tracking down... 

• Paid Members

This was the Combat Wrestling Federation. I want to say that Poison’s name was Sam but my memory isn’t what it used to be! Last I heard he was living in Nottingham and well out of the business. It was purely his show, and he contacted Zandig and Wifebeater to bring them over for just this show. It must have cost him a bomb and there’s no way the 100 or so fans in paid that bill.

The rest of the card was Kev O’Neill’s Sovereign Championship Wrestling guys, some of the bigger UK names like Ricky Knight (the ? Is his son, Zebra Kid), Doug Williams, the UK Pitbulls, Jodie Fleisch, and Guy Thunder.

I was trying to make it as a travelling indy worker but didn’t have much talent and even less drive. Still, as two of the few who were doing that, me and Andy Hogg got booked, matched with Carnage of SCW. Come the day of the show, we had planned an ordinary three-way but being put on after Zebra Kid and Doug Williams panicked us and we went the hardcore route. 

We picked up some barbed wire en route - Zandig was visibly disgusted when he saw me clipping the more ragged barbs off beforehand - and we’d all planned to blade but in the end only I did. The finish of our match saw me wrapped in barbed wire and attempt a (bad) moonsault onto Carnage, only for Hogg to pull him out of the way and then frog splash me for the win. I got interviewed by a magazine that covered the show (I can probably scan it for you.

The main event was Poison vs Zandig and it went south quickly. One of them got a sanitary towel stapled to their head and then Poison made an ill-advised comment about prison bitches, leading to Zandig grabbing a pint glass off a table and smashing it over Poison’s head. They went to the finish, with Zandig winning, and then Wifebeater - who hadn’t been announced and was hiding in the back - came out and attacked Zandig with a weedwhacker. I don’t think they had an actual match - the plan was to bring them back to main event the next show but there was no next show. 

At the time, only EWW in Oxfordshire and AIWF in Stoke-on-Trent did any kind of hardcore stuff but Iceman’s north east stuff soon popped up.

Amazing yeah I've seen the stuff from Eww and Aiwf I've seen involving Iceman whom is on my list of people to catch, sounds like a crazy show for sure I hadnt heard much about the Deathmatch / hardcore scene in the UK in the very early 00s let alone late 90s so poison or whomever he went by is high on my find list to interview for the podcast thank you for a little insight linus I really appreciate that 👌

19 hours ago, Linus said:

This was the Combat Wrestling Federation. I want to say that Poison’s name was Sam but my memory isn’t what it used to be! Last I heard he was living in Nottingham and well out of the business. It was purely his show, and he contacted Zandig and Wifebeater to bring them over for just this show. It must have cost him a bomb and there’s no way the 100 or so fans in paid that bill.

The rest of the card was Kev O’Neill’s Sovereign Championship Wrestling guys, some of the bigger UK names like Ricky Knight (the ? Is his son, Zebra Kid), Doug Williams, the UK Pitbulls, Jodie Fleisch, and Guy Thunder.

The main event was Poison vs Zandig and it went south quickly. One of them got a sanitary towel stapled to their head and then Poison made an ill-advised comment about prison bitches, leading to Zandig grabbing a pint glass off a table and smashing it over Poison’s head. They went to the finish, with Zandig winning, and then Wifebeater - who hadn’t been announced and was hiding in the back - came out and attacked Zandig with a weedwhacker. I don’t think they had an actual match - the plan was to bring them back to main event the next show but there was no next show.

Poison's name is Martin, last I heard he was living in Birmingham, was a minister of some sort, and also dabbled in stand up comedy.|
As far as I remember, it wasn't promoted by Posion, but some guy from Stoke who used to do online show reviews, can't recall the name though.

Kevin O'Neil ran the FWA Midlands training school in Digbeth, Birmingham, where the likes of The Hunter Brother, Jack Xavier, Brandon Thomas and Mr Nothing/Ian DaCiple came from. Poison used to attend the training, and then set up Sovereign Championship Wrestling shows, using trainees from the school.

Zandig did indeed use the pint glass after the prison bitch comment, but I think Zandig was also annoyed by Posion wearing 20 t-shirts to avoid the thumbtacks from touching his skin. :)

Edited by TheSurgeon

• 1 year later...

As Linus said, we ended up getting on the card, was meant to be a four way with Brandon Thomas. Although I ended up blading too, but took forever to get the blade out of my knee support. I still have the tiniest scare on my stomach from Frog Splashing Linus wrapped it the barb wire, and it always brings a smile to the memories associated with that day.

The show was sort of financed by a guy called Tim Matthews / Matt Violent/ Another name I can't remember. He was an investigative journalist at one point, and had done a long undercover bit on UFO enthusiasts bizarrely, even more bizarrely it turned out some where quite anarchic and we're trying to form a militia to take back control of the information that was being hidden from us over extra terrestrial or something! He had ended up researching death match wrestling for something and ended up a fan, and was a lifelong wrestling fan. He wrote for Powerslam at one point. He was living sort of Southport way. Lost touch with him years ago, but was a nice guy, had a nice family, wife, newborn etc so. He was at the FWA Show in Bolton/Harwich the next week where Doug Williams fought Nova. He did a few commissioner bits with AIWF/GBH/BWA Chris Curtis Stoke/Bidds promotion.

It was a surprise for sure to end up in the Subject Magazine article, Johnny Knoxville was on front cover promoting Gumball 3000 etc, so it got some attention. Although I think that was the last ever addition of the magazine as it went bust the next month.

I still remember the pint glass smashing sound, and Zandig dragging Poison back from the changing area as he was trying to wash blood off/ get away depending whose story you hear. Zandig I think took exception to how he didn't feel Poison was a proper death match guy like him. Zandig was generally pretty cool with everyone, and I did a few other shows with him in Ireland for IWW in the times/years after and was always great to talk to and for advice.

After the show they auctioned loads of stuff off, including the petrol strimmer wifebeater had brought to the show from the states which he used on Zandigs back!

So someone's got bloody t-shirts, pants, boards etc from that show somewhere that they bought.

Poisons name is Martin Huburn / Huborn and as people have said he's a stand up comedian and lay preacher / minister. I think he's around the Midlands still