Eagle FC Thread - EFC 47 - JDS vs. De Castro (May 20th) 🦅

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Didn’t get around to watching this in the end. My wife and daughter have been ill this weekend so I’ve mostly been on nurse duty and being run ragged by my little lad. Heard the fights weren’t much good but was happy to see Rashad got the win.

Saw these photos of Cejudo busting out the big Herman Munster shoes because he’s insecure though and it killed me. 

9F9F1BCE-055B-44D3-B009-0AEDB19EAFDC.jpeg

71AD276F-7CD9-4792-ADC3-B4A0539DEEAE.jpeg

😅😅 I'm about half the height of Danny Devito, yet know I'd be a right berk if I was at that carry on. That Henry doesn't know that, just suits him perfectly. An absolute oddball, that's great at fighting, yet spends his time doing everything but fighting.

• Paid Members
On 1/29/2022 at 10:59 PM, Dai said:

Was a strange show, this. With the hype and Khabib behind this, I was expecting a much larger venue. Instead, the place where it was held was tiny, looked awful, and the crowd were dead. Looked really low budget, and they need to work on the sound drastically, as it had a worse atmosphere than the Apex, and it sounded like a Bellator lockdown show. When the Bare Knuckle shows completely smoke you on the production and venue side of things, you have big problems.

Speaking of sounding bad, the commentary was crap I thought. Your 'straight' play by play guy shouldnt be saying stuff like "You dont want to go for a piss break", as it sounds super amatuer. He had another belter for the main event too, "This is what you paid for! Live and free on the app".

Can't disagree with any of that. I already knew what kind of arena it was being held in though, I think they are keeping it in that venue going forward for the American shows.

I think the sound and commentary was the biggest issue. Having 4 people in the booth is way too many to start, and it felt you were listening to a low budget pro wrestling event where the audio had been dubbed in after the fact and it ends up drowning out the crowd noise and music, it does suck the energy out of a broadcast. All that stuff can be tweaked though. 

The show was alright. The Borg/Gibson fight was comfortably the best fight of the night, and i got a kick out of seeing both Kharitonov and Evans win in good fashion. Evans took the path of lease resistance, can't blame him for that. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Friday night, Eagle FC 46...

20220307_195744.thumb.jpg.093c3b07d595f25da53d8e1f1f54aa79.jpg

Im not sure what odds you'll get on that main event but i cant imagine betting anything on Lee will be worth your time. Its an odd piece of matchmaking but im weirdly intrigued.

The rest of the main card lines up like this:

20220307_195728.thumb.jpg.a63f3faebd05079373348fe7946be11e.jpg

Borg/Bandejas is a cracking matchup, im in for that. Hopefully there'll be a few improvements with the production on this one too, all felt a little flat last time out.

• Egg Shen changed the title to Eagle FC 46 - Lee vs. Sanchez (11th March) 🦅
  • Paid Members

Kevin Lee vs Diego Sanchez was a bit shit. And once again, confirms that Lee is one of the most overrated fighters in the sport. I get that he hurt his knee but there was a whole round before that and he didn’t look much good then either. I like the bloke but he’s simply not what a big chunk of the MMA fanbase make him out to be. All I was reading all week was ‘Kevin Lee’s about to murder Diego’. As if that’s a brag in 2022 or proves much at all. I thought he won every round but the fact he went the distance and was so competitive against a 40 year old, out of shape, slow as fuck Sanchez who was in a really bad way with COVID not long ago doesn’t say much for Lee. 

The thing I always see people fall back on is ‘he’d have been UFC champ if they had a 165lbs division’ but it’s utter shite, isn’t it? The issues he’s had at 155 and 170 don’t just disappear because of a few lbs. And if this fight with a washed up Diego is what we can expect from Lee at 165, I don’t get where that belief in him comes from.

Plus it’s not like he’d be alone in a 165 division. That’s something nobody seems to think about when hyping up Lee as King Of 165 before he’d even fought there. Guys like Poirier, Dos Anjos, Chiesa etc probably would’ve ended up in that division at some point. Fuck, Khabib might’ve even given it a go if they brought that division in a couple of years ago. Lee’s not a terrible fighter but, in his weight range between 155-170, there’s always just too many better fighters around. Maybe there’s better to come from him but I think he’s just too inconsistent. He’ll probably score a big knockout next time and everyone will be on his dick, then he’ll lose two decisions straight after. Got a feeling his post-UFC run is gonna go a bit like Eddie Alvarez’s actually, where he’s gonna fizzle out and start losing to guys nobody really knows. We’ll see. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Yeah, the main event wasnt up to much, neither was the Borg fight. Lee has to be in Wands Top 5 most hated current MMA, fighters, along with Conor, Hardy, Lego Head and a few others I cant think of at the moment 😄 Could imagine the glee you had when Lee was having his leg chopped down by a has-been 40 year old, in front of about 50 fans. Quite the come down for him. I guess its more his fanboys, rather than the man himself, buts its funny none the less.

• Paid Members

Think the criticism of Lee is a tad harsh considering he was dealing with a pretty significant injury from real early on in the fight. If that hadn't have happened he probably would have dusted Diego early on. Diego came out of this the winner though, gutsy, brave display.

Its abit of a shitter for Eagle, cause the plan was likely to be for Kevin Lee to fight the inaugural 165lb belt soon but thats probably on hold now. 

Quite enjoyed the Borg/Bandejas fight. Thought Bandejas deserved the nod though. That heavyweight champ looked good in the minute or so we saw him too.

Im not liking Eagle FC's presentation though. Its good but it isn't my cup of tea. It resembles the Apex with the small invite only crowd and the more I see that, the more i dislike it. Sounds like thats the way they are gonna keep doing things though.

• Egg Shen changed the title to Eagle FC Thread - EFC 47 - JDS vs. De Castro (May 20th) 🦅
  • Paid Members
On 3/15/2022 at 10:47 AM, Dai said:

Lee has to be in Wands Top 5 most hated current MMA, fighters, along with Conor, Hardy, Lego Head and a few others I cant think of at the moment 😄 Could imagine the glee you had when Lee was having his leg chopped down by a has-been 40 year old, in front of about 50 fans. Quite the come down for him. I guess its more his fanboys, rather than the man himself, buts its funny none the less.

😂 just seen this. I know it seems like it but I genuinely don’t hate Kevin Lee. I don’t even dislike him. I used to but he grew on me around the time of the Ferguson fight and seeing him on Rogan’s podcast completed the babyface turn. Seems a good guy, albeit a tad delusional about his ability but I guess a lot of fighters need a bit of that. My thing with Lee is just that I’ve never got the hype or belief in him. He’s not a bad fighter but he’s never been anywhere near as good as some make him out or want him to be. Like you say, it’s not his fault, it’s his fans.

Can’t believe you missed Frank Mir off my hated fighters list though. He’s been top of that table for about 15 solid years! 

Anyway, here’s Friday’s card…

F20-EC3-AB-EFA9-4596-A2-AC-3751-D72105-B

5-C246143-6-F94-412-D-9-F73-6065-B0-A534

I’ll be giving the top two fights a go. Always got time for JDS. And Lombard vs Silva just sounds like mayhem. Two meatheaded, unhinged twats knocking lumps out of each other.

Bunch of familiar names on there as well. Didn’t even know Maki Pitolo and Roosevelt Roberts had been let go by the UFC but they’re both usually in entertaining fights. I love that Khabib’s given Darrell Horcher a fight here as well. Khabib and Horcher fought in 2016, Horcher stepped in on short notice to replace Tony Ferguson. One of the many times Khabib vs Ferguson fell apart.

B54CB1BB-89E3-4A61-BD1A-E23B134A40AF.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

here's the final lineup for tonight:

20220519_194333.thumb.jpg.86d3f340564cb7657b1fb10d17e2e171.jpg

Khabib and Scott Coker have bother admitted that if JDS looks good here, they are gonna look to sit down and sort a deal to co-promote for a potential JDS/Fedor fight later in the year as Fedor's retirement fight, really like that idea.

• Paid Members

anyone catch it? annoying saw a spoiler in one of those stupid Facebook reel things, so i sacked it off.

One thing you can usually count on in MMA, is that if you stick older, washed up type guys in the cage, especially together, weird shit more usually than not happens.

In the case of Silva and Lombard, it was a bit of a Aljo Sterling situation. Lombard took an illegal knee and couldn't continue. Silva claims Lombard took the easy way out, going from the video it's hard to say, but there was definitely an illegal shot.

Then JDS dislocates his shoulder throwing a punch in round 3 of his fight and he loses via TKO. I can't imagine that completely ruins the Fedor fight and if he was gonna lose, this was probably the best way too, if his shoulder heals up ok, i still thing they'll go with it. Sounds like JDS was comfortably winning the fight and looking decent before the injury.