UFC Vegas: Overeem vs Sakai - Sep 5 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

It's true that DC's fights with Stipe will no doubt have taken something out of him, but bear in mind that Overeem is now 40, has had almost three times as many fights in MMA alone, and since fighting Stipe has had his head blasted vertical by Big Fran, and his mouth smashed sideways by Rozenstruik. It may not be entirely fair also to say he's got a glass jaw, but it's definitely not the most solid.

All that said, his sheer experience, craftiness, and technique do make a rematch with Stipe interesting, and, as we so often say, in the HW division, anything can happen, particularly with strikers - I certainly wouldn't bet against Overeem, even now.

• Paid Members

Even if Ngannou were to beat Stipe, I think Overeem coming for the title one last time against the man who handed him probably his most brutal defeat would be a great story. Imagine if Reem pulled that off, finally winning UFC gold and avenging that Ngannou KO in one night? It’s not how I’d expect it to go but much stranger things can and do happen in MMA.

One thing we’re probably all forgetting though, is the Jon Jones factor. If he comes back as a Heavyweight then he’s immediately in that mix and probably jumps the queue to face the Stipe/Francis winner. So unfortunately for Overeem, he might have a longer wait than usual even if he strings together a few wins. 

• Paid Members

yeh i still thing a switched on Overeem has the ability to beat anyone on his night, he's a crafty fucker who navigate his way through a fight. He just tends to get hit with massive shots. The glassjaw thing is a bit off too cause when Overeem gets KO's it's usually the type of KO that would end anybody. He's lost a whole bunch of fights he was comfortably winning too.

• Paid Members

Now wand's mentioned it, I think I'd like to see Overeem vs. Jones. Won't happen, but I'd be intrigued by that kind of match, especially considering Jones isn't a one-punch KO type of guy (although he's so obnoxiously good, just watch him climb to HW and add it to his arsenal).

• Paid Members
On 9/4/2020 at 2:03 PM, Carbomb said:

Now wand's mentioned it, I think I'd like to see Overeem vs. Jones. 

An interesting twist there would be that they were actually teammates at Jackson’s for a spell a few years ago.

Here’s Reem’s media day thingy. He actually touches on potentially facing Jones at HW at the end as well as the Brock Lesnar return rumours, this Sakai fight and his ‘last run’;

• Paid Members

Fight day changes again. Old hat at this point. Kevin Natividad has dropped out just days after dropping in.

This is the third opponent Kelleher’s agreed to for this card. Ricky Simon, Kevin Natividad, now Ray Rodriguez on the very day of the show. 

• Paid Members

Decent enough short show.

Overeem is sticking around then. His quest for UFC gold continues. Bit of a shaky start but I think his experience was the difference in the end. He stayed composed and weathered a couple of storms and when the time came, he fucked Sakai up.

25-A59-B05-DCF7-4640-B27-D-ADCAC600-A70-

Tell you what though, my opinion of Sakai went up watching this fight. Never had much of an opinion on him one way or another before but I quite enjoyed watching him here. He was knackered but he was still trying to make something happen right to the end. Loved the elbows in close as well. Just felt like Reem was that bit better in all areas, had more tools in the toolbox and he has that wealth of experience in big fights and 5 rounders that you can’t buy. He dragged Sakai into deep water and proper messed him up in the 5th.

Seems like Derrick Lewis is angling for a fight with Reem next. I’ll have a bit of that. Let’s face it, Reem isn’t getting a title shot for a while anyway yet with Miocic vs Ngannou 2 to play out and then whatever Jon Jones is cooking up. 

OSP vs Menifield was an alright fight with a spectacular finish. Sweet KO from OSP. And that’s Menifield well and truly derailed. Still think he’s got potential but he could’ve done with scaling back after that Devin Clark loss, instead he stepped up and obviously it never paid off. 

Michel Pereira vs Zelim Imadaev was quite fun for a one sided affair. Pereira looked good but Imadaev was very one note in his approach so he made it easy for Pereira. Finish was odd. I watched it back a few times and still not 100% on what happened but I didn’t think Imadaev tapped, looked more like he was fighting the hands as DC said. Pereira didn’t even have the hooks in either. The whole thing looked weird. Solid performance from Pereira though. He’s still going to come unstuck with the showboaty stuff against the better guys in the division but I don’t think anyone’s actually expecting him to make a run at the belt or anything. He’s exciting to watch regardless and the UFC could do with more guys like that.

The Jorge Masvidal callout was utterly pointless though. I’m all for aiming big but when undercard guys call out the likes of McGregor, Masvidal, Diaz etc it’s just a waste of time. That post-fight interview is a fighter’s opportunity to campaign for something and maybe get fans behind it and force the UFC’s hand to make it happen. Yet so many times you’ll see Clive Midcard call out one of the biggest names on the roster. I get being ambitious but unrealistic callouts like this are just as bad as when fighters go ‘I’ll fight anyone the UFC puts in front of me’. Total wasted opportunity because it’s never going to happen. If Pereira had called out say, the winner of the upcoming Cerrone vs Price fight, that’s something they can possibly work with. Still a step up names-wise but it’s more realistic. Or even Mike Perry or something. Fights that can get you a rung further up the ladder to where you eventually want to be. I highly doubt  Dana was sat there last night and thought ‘You know what, scrap these plans for Masvidal vs Diaz 2. Masvidal vs Pereira for the BMF belt. That’s money right there.’ 

Oh and the entrance wasn’t shown on BT but Stone Cold Brian Kelleher...

He opened up a can of whoop ass as well. 39 seconds. I was happy to see him get the win. Especially after all the fucking about with his opponents dropping out left and right. 

Short and sweet card with just the 7 fights and 5 of them being finishes. 

11 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

Loved that main event. Reem Vs Jon Jones is the fight. Winner gets Stipe.

I'd go with that. I'd actually favour Overeem to win that one as well. His ability to take what his opponent has to give, then come back and pile on the pressure later in the fight is pretty impressive.

Who'd have thought that ten years back? That we'd be saying Overeem starts quite slow and gets stronger as the fight goes? He was always known as a bit of a 2-round merchant back then.