So, you wanna be an MMA judge?

David

Thought this may be an idea for a thread, but it could easily fall flat on its arse if enough folk don't have Fight Pass.

Anyway, we've seen some debatable judging of late, and I was thinking that we could maybe nominate one close/contentious fight a week or something, and all rewatch it and judge it ourselves.

Then we could post our scorecards, our brief breakdown of why we scored it how we did, then spend the rest of the time arguing like fuck over who was right or wrong.

Any thoughts on this idea? Who has Fight Pass among us? I do, but that's because I watch all that hugging on the floor shite that Eddie Bravo produces.

• Paid Members

I really like the idea man. Good shout. I don't have Fight Pass anymore as it was an utter mess the last time I had it. Great content, piss poor delivery. If I paused it for more than a minute at a time, I'd have to go back to the start of whatever I was watching. It's likely much better now, or maybe it was only the platform I was using (Amazon Firestick).

I'll join in whenever there's a fight that's picked that's also on YouTube or Daily Motion or something. Sounds like fun.  

3 hours ago, WeeAl said:

I really like the idea man. Good shout. I don't have Fight Pass anymore as it was an utter mess the last time I had it. Great content, piss poor delivery. If I paused it for more than a minute at a time, I'd have to go back to the start of whatever I was watching. It's likely much better now, or maybe it was only the platform I was using (Amazon Firestick).

I'll join in whenever there's a fight that's picked that's also on YouTube or Daily Motion or something. Sounds like fun.  

FightPass is a different animal now, so to speak. Much better than it was. 

Okay, let's give it a go then, shall we?

I'll kick things off with a fight that is often overlooked when discussions about scoring take place.

March 3rd 2012, UFC on FX: Alves vs Kampmann.

The 4-man tournament to determine a Flyweight champion began on this night, with the fight between Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson and Ian "Uncle Creepy" McCall.

The judges and those responsible for tallying up the points fucked up big-time here, declaring the fight a win for Mighty Mouse when it should actually have been a draw and an elimination round implemented.

Had that result been read correctly, would McCall have won the fight in the elimination round? Flyweight history would have been changed. Either McCall or Joseph Benavidez would have been crowned the inaugural champion.

So, for those who can play along, watch that fight between McCall and Johnson and score it for yourself. Take notes as you see fit, and most importantly, try to explain why you scored a certain round for a certain fighter, so we can compare what we're seeing differently in the fights.

Let's do it and post the results by Thursday 30th July.