This Weekend's Boxing πŸ₯Š (Haney vs. Garcia - April 20th)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I finally caught up.

The Babic train rolls on. 300+ punches in 5 rounds, the guys a maniac. This was the real lifeΒ equivalent of that Homer Simpson boxing episode. If it had gone to round 8 i think Mark Bennett would have just pushed Babic over.

Eddie shouldnt even step Babic up, just keep have him fighting bouncer/pro boxers on the undercards and see how long they last with him.

Dickens/Galahad was one of those fights where you willed for it to be stopped. "death by a thousand cuts" was the perfect description. Galahad just pitter pattered Dickens face into mush, hard to watch.

46416897-0-image-a-231_1628379372952.jpg

Β 

Β 

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Well Buatsi/Bolotnik saved Fight Camp 3 which was a bit of a drag lastΒ night.

Thankfully the main event delivered (as well as Joe Cordina who won by first round KO). I definitely aint sold that Buatsi is gonna go on to be the top star some predict he will, i think he'll end up sitting in that tier below proper world level, but hes exciting.

Bit of a war last night, Bolotniks was game as hell and there was a period in like rounds 8-9Β  that i thought Bolotniks may pinch it, but Buatsi rallied to finish big in the 11th.

20210815_123434.jpg.c222d65479e97209f1a9af63898f615f.jpg

Mike Costello finally joining on commentary was a nice too.

• Paid Members

Saturday! the return of Pacquiao!

20210817_111625.thumb.jpg.1610f0900f7b6c3fdca07aa4fb4962ed.jpg

we should be gearing up for Pacquiao/Spence now but a Spence injury has left us with this. I dont know anything about Ugas in fairness outside of hearing his name mentioned. Shame we aint getting that Spence fight.

Fight will be on Sky Sports though!

• Egg Shen changed the title to This Weekend's Boxing - Pacquiao vs. UgasπŸ₯Š
  • Paid Members

yeh, it a shame. Ugas is no mug but it feels like a waste of a Manny fight. Unless who goes in and looks amazing.

Listening to Rafe Boogs on Morning Kombat (whos a boxing journalist from the Phillipines) he said win or lose expect another big fight involving Manny before the end of the year, as Manny is using his fight promotionΒ to boost his upcoming policital campaign, and hes way down in the pecking order so expect a big fight name after this.Β 

• Paid Members

Taylor/Catterall is confirmed for December i think so you're gonna have to wait.

On the subject of this Saturdays card, Robert Guerrero vs. Victor Ortiz is the co-main event. What a random one, probably 10 years too late but im here for it.

hqdefault.jpg

• Paid Members

Id completely forgotten about that. Just wiki'd it and turns out the case was dismissed last year.

The main event is official anyway:

20210821_021636.thumb.jpg.adc32d96461ed8e31a2ea2fc89c369e3.jpg

lots of speculation online that Ugas is carrying a significant injury to his left bicep. You can clearly see a lump there. Probably nothing though. Usual big fight rumors.

• Paid Members

Was disappointed to see PacquiaoΒ lose. I didn’t know enough about Ugas to have strong expectations one way or the other but, while Manny was always competitive and looked very good for 42 years old, Ugas just did enough. Had him a couple of rounds up.Β 

Jesus Christ though, Adam Smith and Matthew Macklin might just be my least favourite commentary combination in combat sports at the minute. We get it, Pacquiao is getting on in years. Do we have to keep hearing about it every minute of every round for theΒ whole fight? Smith keep growling out β€œwhat would Spence have done to Manny Pacquiao tonight? What would Crawford have done to Manny Pacquiao tonight? I’d favour Josh Taylor over the version of Manny Pacquiao we’re seeing tonight”. I’m not expecting them to pretend he’s still in his prime but fuckingΒ hell. Macklin’s boring as fuck as well. The Brummie accent isn’t for commentating, and that’s coming from me a Brummie. But he’s dull on top of it and paired with Smith, they bring out the worst in the each otherΒ both just tend to harp on the negatives incessantly.Β 

• Paid Members

As for the fight, i found it all a little bit sad. Not sad that Manny disgraced himself, because he didnt, more that he was trying to do his usual thing and you could see it wasnt there anymore. Ugas shut everything down and couldnt miss with that looping right hand he was throwing. Strange one for me, just couldnt bring myself to enjoy it.