Should UFC Fighters Get Paid More?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spinning off a discussion surrounding Jon Jones and now Jorge Masvidal on fighter pay, I thought this deserved a topic on its own. Question is, should fighters be paid more? It's easy to just say

I think you have the deal wrong there. It's nothing for the first 200,00 regardless of how the show does. $1 per buy for 200k to 400k $2 for 400k to 600k and $2.5 for any buys over 600k. So an 80

I think I've probably been a bit unclear here - it's not that I think they should've promoted her over Rousey for that match, it's more that they should've promoted her at least a decent bit, being, y

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

$10k for headlining a PPV with 200,000 buys? That low tier Reebok money, harsh.

If a PPV comes in at that number we see fans bash it as having done terrible, so yeah, if you can only attract 200,000 buys you probably don't deserve a PPV bonus.

Bear in mind though, it's a fucking bonus. They're still getting their champion-level money if they're a belt holder, aren't they? It's not as if they're going home with $50,000 and a Curly Wurly in their pocket.

• Paid Members

Yeah, but isn't the argument that the Champions level base pay isn't anywhere enough? the PPV bonus is what drives these fighters to make good money. 

in your case above of the $13 million earned of PPV money you believe the Champion anchoring the event is only worth an extra $10k? 0.7%. You drive a hard bargain David.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Yeah, but isn't the argument that the Champions level base pay isn't anywhere enough?

Depends what we consider to be enough? Is Amanda Nunes, a champion who really doesn't draw all that well and isn't someone who offers much by way of marketability, making almost half a million dollars per fight not enough?

I'd say it is. 

Most champions are taking home around half a million dollars per title defence. That sounds about right to me for a sport like the UFC. 

EDIT: Also, a PPV event bringing in 200,000 buys isn't generating the UFC $13 million. They get around half the purchase price of each show under the traditional PPV model, so $6.5 million. And the champion is entitled to none of that $6.5 million. They only earn money when the PPV brings in over 200,000 buys.

Edited by David
  • Paid Members

yeh, so if they earn $1 per sale, they are taking home $200,000 of the $6.5 million, that sounds about fair to me.

It works something like this: Fighters get $1 for every PPV sold between 200,000 and 400,000. They get $2 for every PPV sold between 400,000 and 600,000. And they get $2.50 for every PPV sold over 600,000.

So up to 200,000 buys, the fighter gets nothing. It only kick in after that number.

4 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh we've already established that 🙄

Oh, okay. I just assumed that when you mentioned that the fighter would be taking home $200,000 from 200,000 PPV buys that you didn't realise points kick in after 200,000.

What it does mean is that even a bad PPV, which is what? 375,000 - 390,000 buys? That would still see a champion on points get a decent bonus.

• Paid Members

yeh for 375,000 they are looking around 375k back to them, what do you think they deserve at that point?

5 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh for 375,000 they are looking around 375k back to them, what do you think they deserve at that point?

No, for 375,000 PPV buys a headliner with PPV points in their deal will see about $175,000 under the old system.