What if?

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Flair vs Warrior for the belt would have been far more likely for WrestleMania than at the Rumble. Iā€™d imagine Flair might have had one final match with Savage at the Rumble as a decisive end to their run (Flair had already transitioned to Warrior on the houses while Savage was doing revenge matches with Razor) as Vince was getting ready to phase out Macho Man as a TV regular. If Warrior was still there Iā€™m 50/50 as to whether Hogan comes back. On the one hand theyā€™d brought Warrior back to plug the gap, but Hogans absence was only ever meant to be temporary while his image recovered from steroids/Arsenio. So with business struggling itā€™s more likely heā€™d have been back at some point sooner rather than later.

As for Bret.... heā€™d have had another match with Shawn at Survivors not for the I title as Shawn wouldnā€™t have won it yet. If Warriors still around we have to assume he didnā€™t grass Smithers in (which got them both sacked) so Survivors still has Bulldog v Mountie for the I title. Presumably Shawn takes the belt from Smithers soon after, Bret probably continues his aborted run with Papa Shango (whose ā€œcurseā€ was going to be alluded to being partially responsible for his loss to the Bulldog). Itā€™s theoretical that Shawn vs Bret for the I title might have happened at Mania with Bret doing the honours, when he was told the day of This Tuesday In Texas that heā€™d end up losing the I title to Shawn he says he was happy for Shawn, heā€™d have no problem, he saw Shawn as the future, he was proud theyā€™d come through and elevated themselves beyond tag teams together. Funny how things change.

Also in a world where Warrior stays, itā€™s possible Hennig isnā€™t coaxed back into the ring so somebody else has to be the first feud for Lex Luger. Which also could have been Bret, just like they went on the houses straight after Mania anyway.

I always thought that Flair and Perfect in the loser leaves the WWF matchĀ should have happened at Wrestlemania IX instead of Raw. But unsure how they would have got to that angle IF the Warrior had stayed, unless they just built it around Mr Perfect being increasingly fed up with Ric Flair.

Warrior staying certainly does put a whole new slant on things and if they did go with the above,Ā I am struggling to see what feud or angle they would put him in,Ā unless it did envolve a heel turn.Ā Makes you wonder how manyĀ times the plans changed in an era seemingly,Ā where according to Bruce Prichard they figured out Wrestlemania and then worked backwards.

Edited by Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz

Shit forgot about Macho Man too, crazy to think they had him happy on there books with potential vs Harts (Bret or Owen), HBK, Lugar, Yoko, Taker (forgot him too)Ā 

I think even with Warrior etc around I think Bret would get in the title mix due to them wanting/needing to add youth and replace 80s stars, I could see Bret getting a longer build to the title against say Savage at Mania 9.

93-95 could've been so different with a few tweaks or guys around

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Always makes me laugh that Bret was considered the new younger blood when infact he was 2 years older than warrior and a pro about 10 years longer.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Age is secondary to perception. Boss Man was a relic of a bygone age when he turned up in 98 yet was 35 while Austin was 34 at the time.

Do we know why Vince was so keen to retire Savage in 93/94??

He was only 41, could still work like a bastard and was only a year or so removed from his last world title reign??Ā 

With the exiting of Hogan (for good in 93), piper (92), Warrior (92), Savage (94), Flair (93) he was seriously down in star power come end of 94 (regardless of match quality).Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The Warrior not getting sacked and sticking around timeline is one which definitely would've changed the course of wrestling as we know it.

I've just typed a few paragraphs before I posted this and my mind is completely blown when you weigh up the permutations of this scenario. Who wouldn't have been signed? Who would've been released? Who gets relegated or stuck in the mid-card role and never reaches their full potential as we know it in this world? Does the wage bill cripple the company as they head into the mid-90s and poor gates? Who leaves for WCW/ECW and do they (promotion/wrestler)Ā grow earlier as a result? Or do they vanish into obscurity?

12 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Do we know why Vince was so keen to retire Savage in 93/94??

He was only 41, could still work like a bastard and was only a year or so removed from his last world title reign??Ā 

With the exiting of Hogan (for good in 93), piper (92), Warrior (92), Savage (94), Flair (93) he was seriously down in star power come end of 94 (regardless of match quality).Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I think the simplest explanation is personal preference and Vince's 'gut instinct'. You see it in football all the time, managers wake up one day and decide that the person in question just isn't the same player anymore and wants rid. Doesn't mean the manager is right, some go on and prove them wrong elsewhere, but it's hard for those players to convince stubborn managers they still have something to offer.Ā 

In Randy's case, 1992 wasn't the easiest year for himĀ with the divorce and all that, maybe Randy was burnt out from that and Vince interpreted it as 'he's past it' rather than scratching the surface to see the man was emotionally done in after a divorce and probably needed a few months to get his head straight.

• Paid Members

Vince saw Savage as past his best. Heā€™d retired him and shuffled him into the commentary box once already, and even though heā€™d used him as a stopgap champion when Hogan needed to step away, itā€™s possible he looked at the guy whoā€™d been trotting out for him only slightly less long than Hogan, with a pronounced bald spot, and decided he was too old to be prominent. Which by match quality and popularity, was ridiculous.

1 hour ago, AndiRush said:

The Warrior not getting sacked and sticking around timeline is one which definitely would've changed the course of wrestling as we know it.

I've just typed a few paragraphs before I posted this and my mind is completely blown when you weigh up the permutations of this scenario. Who wouldn't have been signed? Who would've been released? Who gets relegated or stuck in the mid-card role and never reaches their full potential as we know it in this world? Does the wage bill cripple the company as they head into the mid-90s and poor gates? Who leaves for WCW/ECW and do they (promotion/wrestler)Ā grow earlier as a result? Or do they vanish into obscurity?

Totally agree.Ā 

Its like his decisions in 92, 96 and 98 totally changed the course of wrestling as we know it.Ā 

Hell could even factor in 91 when he held Vince up. If he'd stayed it could have ended up Warrior vs Taker at WM7 assume Warrior goes over and streak never happens.Ā 

Could even have had warrior vs flairĀ  for the title at wm8 instead of Savage.

Lets say warrior doesn't piss Sid off, then we've got warrior potentially versus sid at ss for the title.Ā 

Totally changes landscape as potentially Bret, Shawn don't get elevated about IC level as youve got Vince preferred type in the main event.Ā 

Main event lot could end up warrior, sid, Taker, diesel, lex

Yoko remains a headshrinker

Smaller guys never get pushed.Ā 

Hogan doesn't come back in 93, due to declining business vince brings him back in 95 or 96 meaning no wcw run or nWo.Ā 

Does Hulks return save wwf??Ā 

Unlikely... Vince goes out of business, leaving wcw as the big one!!Ā 

It really is 'sliding doors' stuff!Ā 

Amazing that Warrior's actions were so pivotal to wrestling outcomeĀ 

Ā 

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Hell could even factor in 91 when he held Vince up. If he'd stayed it could have ended up Warrior vs Taker at WM7 assume Warrior goes over and streak never happens.

Mania VII had already happened when Warrior left. At the point Warrior got himself the push, theyā€™d already started the transition to Sid as Undertakerā€™s road opponent. That was his Mania match if the Hogan/Flair/Savage reshuffle hadnā€™t happened.

With Savage it might've been less about actual age but tv age as he'd been in WWF for 7yrs? By 92 so although Bret isn't young as such he's fresh to main events and only 1 or so in singles.

I still think new guys would get a push, Bret I could see getting a clear direction of WWF title post Summerslam, strong win at Survivors (doing whatever), Rumble win then leading to Mania title win.

Not sure if Hart suddenly getting the title hurt him as a draw and in fans eyes at the time instead of a build up

5 hours ago, air_raid said:

Mania VII had already happened when Warrior left. At the point Warrior got himself the push, theyā€™d already started the transition to Sid as Undertakerā€™s road opponent. That was his Mania match if the Hogan/Flair/Savage reshuffle hadnā€™t happened.

Sorry meant wm8