Skateboarding

El Dingo Capitano

Anyone on here Skate?  Despite having hit the big 40 I've decided I really want to learn to Skate and have been going for about 4 weeks now.  I've got the hang of Ollie's as long as I'm stationary and can pump the board back and forth on a ramp but that's about my lot so far.

Just wondered if anyone else was into the sport and has any advice pointers on what to try and learn first!

I took up skating again a few years back and I could just about ollie and kickflip. I do go out most weekends for a bit, whilst the local skate park is quiet. The first things you need to learn are just getting comfortable on the board and moving ollies. My tip for that is to choose a point on the ground to focus on sort of jumping over it. From there just go on YouTube and find some vids on how to kickflip/heelflip. Same goes for doing stalls and rock to fakie on a ramp.

• Paid Members

If I still could, I would. 

Started in mid 90’s as my older brother was really in to it. Was hooked and lasted until mid/late 00’s. Had knee surgery and have never been able to manage since. Still have several set ups in the garage though.

Figure out if you’re a regular or goofy skater. I’m both but started goofy (right foot on deck and push with left).

Make sure that when you learn to Ollie you practice with your leading foot. I learned how to Ollie when stationary first, as many do, not considering what I was doing. It felt more natural to stomp my right foot down on the tail in order to Ollie, however, it felt more natural to skate in goofy, meaning my feet were in the wrong positions when I wanted to ride and Ollie.

Based on this I learned to skate and Nollie first, then had to learn to skate switch. Basically.... a right chew on.

If you can, as pointed out above, learn to skate and Ollie as soon as possible. It’s the starting point of every trick.

Try and Ollie cracks in the road, then move on to going up/down curbs.. build it from there.

Some of the best starting tricks in my opinion (easiest to grasp first and helps with overall balance).

- Tic Tac - helps to build speed when not pushing.

- pop shovit - easiest trick regarding the board leaving your feet.

@Kaz Hayashi Makes a very good point about learning how to do a shuvvit and then moving up to a pop shuvvit is a good starting point. YouTube is great for finding tutorials on how to do stuff and then the thing is just practicing it. The main thing is breaking down the parts of a trick.

Other things that are useful are making sure you have good shoes. If you don't have decent ones they will be wrecked in no time and they won't stand up to the impact of landing constantly.

• Paid Members

I wish I bloody could. Just had a look at my set up earlier... still love it. Birdhouse deck, tensor trucks, pig wheels, black widow bearings... ahh man, I got all excited.

I’m going to attempt a blast in the back yard later, see what happens.

• Moderators

I got out in my board for the first time in ages as it was the easiest way to take my nephews cycling (I would just be too fast on a bike myself and it's more awkward to get on and off and put aside if I needed to help them). It was really fun. I could never really do any tricks anyway so I haven't forgotten much ;)

Got myself a cheapo retro Tony Hawk board turning up tomorrow. I'm going to have to force myself to take it slow, but there's a lovely fairly level concrete path through a forest round my way that'll be perfect for practising. Got my list set - boarding, turning, veering, tic tac, ollie, nollie, shoveit and caveman. Plenty to get me going for a couple of weeks in the sunshine!

6 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I wish I bloody could. Just had a look at my set up earlier... still love it. Birdhouse deck, tensor trucks, pig wheels, black widow bearings... ahh man, I got all excited.

I’m going to attempt a blast in the back yard later, see what happens.

If you're getting problems with your knees I would suggest investing in a pair of Footprint insoles. The orthotic ones are about 30 quid, but the cushioning takes a lot of the impact off the knees, ankles and feet. I noticed a big difference after I got some.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Rey_Piste said:

If you're getting problems with your knees I would suggest investing in a pair of Footprint insoles. The orthotic ones are about 30 quid, but the cushioning takes a lot of the impact off the knees, ankles and feet. I noticed a big difference after I got some.

Past the point now mate. Had knee surgery a couple of years ago, can barely walk up more than 10 stairs these days. I had something called a bucket handle tear. Had to remove loads of ligament and cartilage damage. 

However, I’ll keep these in mind for when we go walking/hiking etc. Cheers

Awesome to see some more of you are out there as well.  good tips.  Yeah the shoes got trashed the first day of trying to do Ollies with a big hole in both the show and the sock so quickly realised I'd need to wear something different!  Its been 7 weeks now since I started but the last week I've been unable to ride thanks to a ruptured Ligament in the ankle courtesy of my first Drop in attempt.  bollox

Archived