UFC 222: Cyborg vs Kunitskaya

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Ortega seems like a good dude too; fair play using your post-fight time for a good cause

It's a strange time we're in with MMA. For the last few years we've been conditioned to expect relentless trash talk, swearing and aggressive callouts in post-fight interviews. Now you see Ortega and Namajunas spreading that peace and love after battering the shit out of their opponents. Not to mention Yoel Romero physically bombarding Rockhold with his love after their fight last month. He does seem a nice guy Ortega, but between the 'I'd like to give a shoutout to God' vibe and the 'I want to make the world a better place' speech like he's in a fucking Miss World pageant, it's a bit full-on for me. Huge fan of him and I think is genuinely a nice bloke (he came off really well in his fight week interview with Helwani with his little brother) but I don't know what to make of the hippy shit. I remember when Jon Jones used to say similar stuff when he was just a bright eyed young rookie. I believed it. I'm not getting burned again. 

Cyborg did a Cyborg. Clearly had zero respect for her opponent and was looking to smash from the off. What now?

Amanda Nunes by the sounds of it. Nunes wants it apparently. Cyborg said at the press conference that she wants it. And now Dana is saying he's thinking about scrapping this Nunes vs Pennington title fight and making Cyborg vs Nunes for the Rio PPV in May. Sounds like a good idea. 

I have not a clue, but despite being an incredible talent, I just can't take to O'Malley.

Same here. Got a feeling he's going to be a guy I'll be rooting against. Just something about him bugs me. He's not a guy people are going to be indifferent to though, so that's good. And he's got a style that's going to make for some exciting fights so it'll be fun to follow his progress. 

I didn't really have much of a clue (or I forgot) about Vieira's wrestling background - obviously it was very telling. That judo throw in the 2nd was Rousey-like in how well done it was.

Yeah she's a really good grappler. BJJ black belt and a strong Judo base with it. Only 26 years old and she's 10-0 with 6 finishes. This Zingano win should hopefully get her some attention now. It's a shame she hasn't got someone like Miesha Tate to fight next. A big name who would help raise her profile. If they go ahead with this Cyborg vs Nunes fight next then I think Vieira vs Pennington makes sense as a #1 contenders match. 

If you ever need another example of what a good man DC is, that opening is it. Rogan was fighting not to go Pacino in Godfather 3, so DC decided to be a dude and console him. Be more like DC.

Yeah man, that was tough to watch. Had no idea Bruce Connal had died. He's a name I've seen and heard for years, basically at the end of every PPV during the credits, but I'd never seen him or heard much about him. Rogan probably goes way back with him from old original Zuffa crew days. It was nice that, with the top two fights ending quickly, they got to talk a bit at the end of the PPV about Connal and what he meant to the UFC behind the scenes. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Amanda Nunes by the sounds of it. Nunes wants it apparently. Cyborg said at the press conference that she wants it. And now Dana is saying he's thinking about scrapping this Nunes vs Pennington title fight and making Cyborg vs Nunes for the Rio PPV in May. Sounds like a good idea. 

Pleased both are into the idea. IIRC, Cyborg wasn't too keen on the idea initially (wasn't she going on about building her division?), but she's maybe realised there is no one else of note to fight. Nunes could probably do with another win or two, like, to build her up as a proper force too for the casuals, but I'll gladly take it this year.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Cyborg wasn't arsed about fighting Nunes. But it seems Nunes called her out at some point and that seems to have got Cyborg's back up. She said something at the press conference like 'She called me out. Now she has to deal with it' or something equally as scary sounding. 

Cyborg was also saying that the May PPV might be too quick a turnaround for her and that she wants the fight in July. So maybe Nunes still fights Pennington in Rio, or more likely that gets scrapped and Nunes waits for the Cyborg fight in July. 

To be fair Frankie could cut to 135 if he wanted, he could compete but he would then lose his usual speed advantage. So I don't want him there, if he wanted too he should have cut more when he first dropped to 145 but probably top old now.

It's crazy I looked at his record and remembered the 5 loses and a draw he's had which in the UFC for 11 years isn't that much, the Bendo fights were super close, he did well in the first Aldo fight and I can't remember the first Maynard fight, I'm guessing it was on a random Spike Fight Night, obviously remember the draw & win classics he had with Maynard. I also still have his first fight in the UFC against Tyson Griffin on a best of 2007 his UFC debut, it's crazy with his size and longevity compared to the up and coming LWs from that era, hell even the fresh blood from WEC & Strikeforce are all nearly done.

• Paid Members

Yeah, he's outlasted all the lighter weight guys who were big names from a decade ago. When he got into MMA BJ Penn, Urijah Faber, KID Yamamoto, Takanori Gomi and Jens Pulver were the shit as far as the lighter weight classes went. Now they're all either finished or washed up and should be finished. Others who were the top guys around back then like Sean Sherk, Kenny Florian and Joe Stevenson are done now as well. And all the guys who were prospects of the time that he came up with, he's outlasted them as well. Gray Maynard is hanging by a thread. Clay Guida is hit and miss. Joe Lauzon is shopworn. Tyson Griffin and Roger Huerta are on a milk carton. Even now, guys from his era who beat him like Aldo and Bendo seem to be fading more than him. 

It's amazing the career and longevity Frankie Edgar has had. Especially as a lighter weight fighter because it's not so common for the smaller guys to have the real lengthy run at the top. Then you factor in that he was often the smaller man in his fights, he won on skill and technique. Plus he beat BJ Penn 3 times and had those epics with Maynard and Griffin. Frankie Edgar is easily going in the Hall Of Fame when it's all said and done. 

Oh and @the_mole yeah, the first Maynard fight was on a Spike Fight Night. Maynard dominated with his wrestling to a dull and uneventful decision victory. I remember at the time when their second fight was announced a few years later everyone groaned expecting the same kind of boring fight. Crazy how different those incredible second and third fights were to the first one. 

One of the few criticisms of Jones's resume is that he often fought guys who were naturally smaller than him. It was the opposite with Edgar. For a large chunk of his career, he's been a natural bantamweight moonlighting as a lightweight and then a featherweight. This was particularly noticeable when he fought Bendo and Maynard - two world-class operators who he both got the better of. The record books show that he lost to Bendo both times, but very few who saw the rematch felt that Bendo deserved the nod from the judges. 

The Penn trilogy is actually only a footnote of Edgar's career. Penn should have got the verdict in the first bout, and their third meeting was a complete joke. Penn was a shadow of his former self and the whole thing was quite sad. The second fight is one of his finest victories though. It was the night that MMA fans realised - and accepted - Edgar as an elite level fighter. His finest hour was probably the third bout against Maynard, with the wins over Griffin, Sherk, Faber, Mendes and others giving his resume a very solid foundation. 

Based on longevity, achievements, resume, etc - he's certainly in the top 10 of all-time. I have him around 6-8 in the all-time standings. A strong case could be made for him being rated a bit higher. 

The cynic in me thinks McGregor just wanted to distract Frankie from this fight so he can keep Max Holloway on the table for his next fight because Ortega can wait.  Saying that - even if had Frankie had won - McGregor fights whoever McGregor chooses. Ah well. Nice guys really do finish last.  Hindsight is a horrible thing. 

The main event was disgraceful.  I've been watching UFC for only three years or so, but that was by far the worst main event I've ever seen.   Irresponsible of the UFC - both on the fans and Kunistskaya herself.  Unless she's been smoking Holly Holm in training - then she really had no case to be in there after the dismantling of Tonya Evinger in 2017.  The whole show actually left a bad taste in my mouth because of the inevitability of the finish.  

Anyway - I'm bang up for Cyborg twatting Nunes around the cage next up. 

Another way of looking at Edgar's career is to look at his key rivalries:

Aldo: The only fighter to outright get the better of him head to head. Although, the first meeting between them was quite close. Aldo took most of the early rounds, with Edgar rallying late on. 

Bendo: These two were at least a division apart in terms of size. Bendo got the better of their first encounter, but as I stated above, it was Edgar who really won the rematch. The record books tell a lie. After the rematch, I came away thinking that Edgar was the better fighter overall. 

Penn: Again, Penn was unlucky to not get the nod in their first encounter. It wasn't that Edgar was dominated by Penn, more that he got the better of of rounds 1-3, albeit in pedestrian fashion. The rematch was very one-sided in Edgar's favour. Given that Edgar ended the rivalry as the winner, and his reputation skyrocketed in the process, it's safe to conclude that he won this rivalry. The third fight doesn't need to be considered. 

Maynard: This one is close. Maynard clearly won the first bout even if it was dull. I would say a draw was about right for the rematch. Edgar however won the third fight conclusively after weathering another early storm. Given that the rivalry ended with Edgar as champion and scoring the only finish of the rivalry, I would say that Edgar won this rivalry as well. 

As you can see, Edgar didn't dominate his main rivals for a significant length of time, which is probably why he isn't considered on the same level as say Anderson Silva in most circles, despite having an equal resume to him. It also stands out that Aldo clearly won their rivalry, which was contested when both were at their peak. Despite all this, Aldo is really the only fighter who got the best of him head to head - at least until Ortega. Given the opposition he's consistently mixed with over a long period of time, that alone speaks of Edgar's greatness. I'm not even a fan of his. As a person, I am quite indifferent to him. I like him, but he's not a favourite or anything. I just get more and more impressed every time I look over his record. 

Really classy of the UFC to pay their respects to Bruce Connal. Joe held it together but was visibly emotional talking about his friend. Instead of putting up a picture they went out of their way to tell stories and thank Bruce for what he did. For me that was one of the high points of UFC 222. 

• Paid Members
On 04/03/2018 at 4:51 PM, jimufctna24 said:

One of the few criticisms of Jones's resume is that he often fought guys who were naturally smaller than him. 

You cant call that a criticism, Jones always made 205lb and fought natural 205lb fighters, the fact that he had a natural height and reach advantage was just fortunate pyhsical attributes he used to his benefit.

Cyborg's run at 145lb is one you can critisize because shes fighting women who can and should be fighting a division below her.

33 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

You cant call that a criticism, Jones always made 205lb and fought natural 205lb fighters, the fact that he had a natural height and reach advantage was just fortunate pyhsical attributes he used to his benefit.

Cyborg's run at 145lb is one you can critisize because shes fighting women who can and should be fighting a division below her.

I don't know. Light Heavyweight evolved pretty quickly around the time Jones, Cormier, Rumble and Gusty came into their own. The division evolved from being the home of big middleweights to being the home of small heavyweights. There was a crossover period where Jones fought guys who should have been fighting in a division below him - Machida, Shogun, Belfort, etc. At one point those three were all natural 205lbs, but with how the top-end of the division evolved, they weren't really natural 205lbs fighters anymore. They were better suited for middleweight (edit: or a 195lbs division)

• Paid Members

Ok, i hear what you are saying. Looking through Jones' record he did fight more guys than i realised that actually had or went on to fight at 185, those same fighters has most of their successes at 205 though (Rashad, Machida). Them sort of fights were also pre-USADA so take from that what you will.

I still think its a bit nit-picky of Jones' record though. He still fought and comfortably beat guys who still sit in the UFC top 10 that you'd consider big 205's. The only guy who really gave Jones fits was Gusty, that just happened to be the time that Jones fought someone taller than him, but Gusty is abit of an anomoly at the weight himself.

Archived