Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

Kenny Florian used to be my fav. He write an article (or sent some tweets?) about MMA and then some MMA Journo came out with they were his words he published a couple of days before and if I remember correctly a few more cases came out the woodwork.

Again if i remember correctly, he defended himself by saying he reads everything so naturally other peoples opinions bleed into his own.

I have always thought he got a very raw deal.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Dai said:

What happened to Kenny Florian on commentary? From what I remember he was pretty good. Wonder why they ditched him? 

Kenny was working commentary at the PFL up until the Bellator merger, then they canned him and he was replaced with Dan Hardy.

Kenny is still about though and has some association with the UFC. He has a weekly podcast with Jon Anik which is shown on Fight Pass.

• 4 weeks later...

Not really news but didnt know where to put it but….

Is it just me or is UFC gone a bit cold “creatively”, as in terms of starpower, characters and interesting and engaging storylines ?

No doubt business has probably never been better financially but there hasn’t been anything in the past few months , or in the months ahead (bar the Nick Diaz return) that really piques my interest. 

Edited by Browser Brady

• Paid Members

You have been the only person interested in the Diaz return 😄

I still think the PPV's are still firing on all cylinders. The Apex has meant there appears to be more meaningless fights than ever before and some fight weeks pass with little really buzz but outside of that there's still a fair bit to sink your teeth into, the Sphere card is in 2 weeks and that's one of the most unique things they've ever done.

• Paid Members

They're holding a card at the Sphere!? Any idea what they have planned, in terms of taking advantage of the potential that place has? I wonder if they would stick the live feed up on the walls whilst the fights are ongoing. Matt Farah of the Smoking Tire has attended a couple of concerts there. He couldn't say enough good things about his experience.

https://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-306-fighters-talk-about-fighting-at-sphere-las-vegas-riyadh-season-noche-ufc

It's just under 2 weeks away. I'm very interested in seeing what they do. Fight card looks decent.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BigJag said:

They're holding a card at the Sphere!? Any idea what they have planned, in terms of taking advantage of the potential that place has? I wonder if they would stick the live feed up on the walls whilst the fights are ongoing. Matt Farah of the Smoking Tire has attended a couple of concerts there. He couldn't say enough good things about his experience.

https://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-306-fighters-talk-about-fighting-at-sphere-las-vegas-riyadh-season-noche-ufc

It's just under 2 weeks away. I'm very interested in seeing what they do. Fight card looks decent.

We’ve got a thread for that Sphere card but I didn’t put ‘Sphere’ anywhere in the thread title so no surprise you wouldn’t have noticed.

No idea what they’ve got planned but Dana’s been hyping the shit out of it and yeah the card’s good. If nothing else, at least it’s gonna be something a bit different. As polished and well produced as the UFC’s stuff is, it’s hard to distinguish one card from the next really. They all look the same. At least this puts a twist on things.

Must admit it made me laugh when the forum got brought back from the dead over the weekend and all the UFC threads suddenly looked confused. For some reason the little flags I always put in the thread title to say where the event is taking place haven’t loaded and are all showing as question marks. So it’s ‘UFC 305: Du Plessis vs Adesanya ???’ and stuff like that 😂

• Paid Members

Yeah saw that earlier. It’s almost a shame really that he’s kind of gone out with a whimper. He did some good stuff in ONE, obviously pales in comparison to the UFC title reign but aside from the Moraes loss (which he avenged beautifully), he didn’t tarnish his career at all by going over there. It’s criminal that he even had to though. As happy I was to see Ben Askren finally in the UFC, it was too late and all he really provided in that run was being on the wrong end of the highlight of Jorge Masvidal’s career. The fact the UFC didn’t appreciate Mighty Mouse enough to where they just traded him for a wrestler with dead hips is bollocks really. 

It’s a shame we never got to see more of DJ in the UFC. And especially against that next wave of Flyweights like Figgy, Moreno and Pantoja. Although there’s probably an argument to be made that if DJ was still around those guys would never have had their day in the sun as champ. We’ll never know now but at the very least those would’ve been some fun title defences to add onto DJ’s reign. That Cejudo trilogy decider was right there as well. Even the odd fight back up at 135 would’ve been fun. I totally got why he was happy to just piss off to ONE and if he made good money there and felt more appreciated then more power to him. But purely as a selfish fan, it feels like we really missed out on an incredible second half of his UFC career there.

One of the best ever though, no doubt. He’ll probably be overlooked a lot in the silly GOAT discussion just because he never finished up in the UFC. I wouldn’t have him #1 of all time but he deserves to be high on the list. 

He was one of those rare fighters who you never expected or even thought would lose. Like an Anderson Silva in his prime, there was almost no thought given to if he was going to lose, such was his dominance. That Borg suplex into armbar is surely a Top 5 of all time submission. Went looking for it on Youtube and came across this super slow mo version of it. Amazing.

• Paid Members

I think the One run improved his overall resume, it's just a shame it didn't play out with much fanfair and felt like a stepdown. The only time I remember a DJ fight from One really getting any traction was when he got knocked out against Adrian Moraes. He came back and beat Moraes twice though so put that loss to bed. In a perfect world One Championship would be seen in the same kind of light as Pride FC to MMA fans but we live in a different era.

Would have been nice to see him have one last fight in the US and to get sent off in that way but i'm sure there were reasons why it didn't happen.

• 2 weeks later...