Happy 60th Birthday, Bret Hart

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

That match at Canadian Stampede is one of my favourites. What happens in the ring barely matters, just hearing the crowd response escalate for every member of the Hart Foundation as they tag in is extraordinary. Like so much of Bret's stuff, it ties into the audience, particularly in Canada, completely buying into him and believing that he was everything he said he was, and that's a rare talent.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I became a fan in the 00s so first thing I learned about Bret was the screwjob. It certainly intrigued me and I loved the idea of angry Bret coming back and doing promos with Shawn and Vince. 

Amazing how shit his return was really, it's like if Punk came back but it was just embarrassing and nobody wanted to talk about it afterwards. It's obviously natural to want to do Bret v Vince, but without doing a Lawler/Tazz-esque non match, if they wanted to get more out of it (and I'm not sure if timing would match up for this) they should have gone for something like Tyson Kidd v Shane with Bret and Vince in the respective corners, HBK as special ref to add intrigue. Athletic contest, add bells and whistles, sharpshooter to Vince, Natalya decks Steph, Michaels superkicks Vince. In my mind all that stuff gets monster reactions and Kidd gets a great rub. Instead it was some bizarre 45 minute ritual sacrifice of Vince by the 65 members of the Hart cult that just confused everyone and even made people feel sorry for Vince! How did they mess that one up?

Funny thing, I was on a wrestling hiatus when Bret came back. All I've watched back since is his return promo with HBK. Still never saw the Vince match but have obviously read how bad it was.

On 7/4/2017 at 3:46 PM, tiger_rick said:

Bret is responsible for one of the greatest ever, meaningless, promos. I've gone old school and transcribed it. If you wanna dig out the episode on the Network, it's Nitro 25/1/99 @ 52:10. Just brilliantly sarcastic stuff. Mesmerising

Uploaded this promo as it's a favorite of mine

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, zep81 said:

Still never saw the Vince match but have obviously read how bad it was.

The 'match' is nothing at all, but I must admit that watching live, I got a kick of watching Bret walk to the ring again. I will always refer to 2010 as Bret's 'jean short' years though!

I always thought at Mania 26 they should've gone with a simple 6 man tag of Hart Dynasty (Kidd/ Harry Smith) & Bret vs Vince, Miz and Big Show, keep any other harts out of it, Harts beat ShowMiz for the belts soon after (I think) with Brets help so this could've started the feud.

Bret gets hot tag comes in does a few punches, kicks, Sharpshooter on Vince, done and dusted, I know his body was'nt the same but he should've wore the pink tights with his tshirt would been fine

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, sj5522 said:

I became a fan in the 00s so first thing I learned about Bret was the screwjob. It certainly intrigued me and I loved the idea of angry Bret coming back and doing promos with Shawn and Vince. 

Amazing how shit his return was really, it's like if Punk came back but it was just embarrassing and nobody wanted to talk about it afterwards. It's obviously natural to want to do Bret v Vince, but without doing a Lawler/Tazz-esque non match, if they wanted to get more out of it (and I'm not sure if timing would match up for this) they should have gone for something like Tyson Kidd v Shane with Bret and Vince in the respective corners, HBK as special ref to add intrigue. Athletic contest, add bells and whistles, sharpshooter to Vince, Natalya decks Steph, Michaels superkicks Vince. In my mind all that stuff gets monster reactions and Kidd gets a great rub. Instead it was some bizarre 45 minute ritual sacrifice of Vince by the 65 members of the Hart cult that just confused everyone and even made people feel sorry for Vince! How did they mess that one up?

Possibly because Vince still feels that he's the hero in his feud with Bret?

As good as it was to see Bret back, his return did kind of bug me. Bret calling out Shawn to bury the hatchet, and then Michaels doing the "should I shake his hand?" bit while being completely unapologetic was bollocks. Even in kayfabe terms, Michaels never acted like Bret screwed *him* over and it was weird to see things play out the exact opposite of how they did in real life, where Michaels changed after finding God. It was like the Flair vs Foley feud for me, in that the good guy and bad guy were cast in the opposite roles, which took me right out of the reality of the situation.

At least Bret and Shawn didn't drag on for months and involve Melina, I suppose.

• Paid Members
On 7 July 2017 at 4:43 AM, zep81 said:

Uploaded this promo as it's a favorite of mine

Bret: I'll tell you who deserves a title shot, how about Hypnosis? 

Mean Gene: Psychosis!! 

:laugh: 

And I'm nicking the phrase 'jam-up guy'. 

Archived