UFC Fight Pass: Dos Anjos vs Alvarez - July 7th

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Very impressive! Just watched it a few mins ago - I like the way Fight Pass didn't give away the finish whatsoever - my playback bar was only at halfway when the finish happened, so I assumed it was going to a decision. Does it pause the playback bar or something when watching individual fights? Same with the Duffy fight. Great idea, because most times when you see the duration of a file you know roughly how long the fight is.

yeh that's a cool feature if it's true. They've improved Fight Pass a load, they used to have post-fight interview spoilers on there, pictures with the winners and stuff it was terrible. Props to them for fixing it.

Cracking little show though.

* I got a little irked by people sleeping on Alvarez, it felt like way to much stock was put on the fact that he grinded out two decisions going into the RDA fight, lots of people seemed to write him off. Saying that, i didn't see him putting dos Anjos away in a round. It looked like typical dos Anjos, lots of pressure but it was probably his undoing. Putting lots of pressure on a guy can force some guys to go into a shell, Alvarez is the kind of guy that will fire back under scrutiny, he did and he landed on the champs chin. Great finish too, he was in kill mode.

* Lewis/Nelson was a weird fight. I've never seen Roy Nelson back away and be gun shy like that. He wanted no part of trading with The Black Beast. Lewis is the scariest man in the division, what a fucking tank. First guy i've ever seen win and call for a rematch too. It was close but the right guy won it for me.

Quick note, that last right hand that Lewis landed has to be the hardest shot that's never dropped someone, holy fucking shit.

* Joseph Duffy put on about as flawless as a performance as you can for a comeback after a loss. I think that puts him right back where he was before he fought Poirier, great stuff.

* Jouban/Muhammad was a fitting FOTN winner. Jouban really should have walked it but Muhammad was granite, not quite sure how he survived them knockdowns. One of those fights where both guys left it all in there, can't ask for more.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

* I got a little irked by people sleeping on Alvarez, it felt like way to much stock was put on the fact that he grinded out two decisions going into the RDA fight, lots of people seemed to write him off. Saying that, i didn't see him putting dos Anjos away in a round.

For me it wasn't so much about selling Alvarez short, it was all about Dos Anjos being a fucking animal. I'd have given Alvarez a good shot against most guys in the lightweight division but I really struggled to see how he'd deal with RDA. I thought he'd struggle big time if he tried to stifle RDA like he did against Pettis. And if it became a brawl, I thought RDA's chin would hold up better than Eddie's, just based on how many times Alvarez has been dropped and rocked in the past and the wars he's been in.

It looked like typical dos Anjos, lots of pressure but it was probably his undoing. Putting lots of pressure on a guy can force some guys to go into a shell, Alvarez is the kind of guy that will fire back under scrutiny, he did and he landed on the champs chin. Great finish too, he was in kill mode.

That was why I was expecting this this to be a more exciting fight than Alvarez's fights with Pettis and Melendez. The safety first gameplan he adopted in those fights was never going to work against RDA so you just knew it was likely to turn into a shootout. And considering RDA is coming off smoking Cowboy in a minute and outstriking Pettis over 5 rounds...it's hardly surprising people were heavily favouring him over Alvarez.

Alvarez looked awesome though. As sad as I am to see Dos Anjos lose the title, I'm chuffed to see Eddie surpass all expectations and get the gold. What a brilliant redemption for him after all the shit he went through with the Rebney run Bellator.

What a nutty year though. All these shock results. It's mad.

Some very good fights. Big victory for Eddie Alvarez, anyone else notice that Dana didn't look happy when he put the belt around Eddies waist. Big Country should have won his fight. I can't see how Lewis won it but you shouldn't ever leave it in the judges hands. Jouban vs Muhammad was definitely FOTN. Muhammad took a hell of a beating but kept going. A lesser fighter would have been down and out.

• Paid Members

Incredible performance by Alvarez. RDA is one of the best ever and Alvarez absolutely battered him, to the point it was getting a bit uncomfortable before Herb Dean made the right call to stop it for RDA's own good.

Big Country was robbed.

Some very good fights. Big victory for Eddie Alvarez, anyone else notice that Dana didn't look happy when he put the belt around Eddies waist. Big Country should have won his fight. I can't see how Lewis won it but you shouldn't ever leave it in the judges hands. Jouban vs Muhammad was definitely FOTN. Muhammad took a hell of a beating but kept going. A lesser fighter would have been down and out.

No Brazilian champs now. Rough few days for old Dana.

• Paid Members

No Brazilian champs now. Rough few days for old Dana.

I think there's a strong chance he doesn't have to wait long for another Brazilian to become champ though. I could see Gadelha and/or Nunes taking gold this weekend. And Aldo could have the interim strap as well.

• Paid Members

I don't really know anything about MMA but I was very surprised The Black Beast won. I thought Nelson won two rounds. Really liked the Alan Jouban fight and the main event was wild. Really enjoyed the whole show and whizzed through it by not bothering win entrances.

• Paid Members

i think Lewis nicked it based on that final flurry in round 3. Nelson appeared in survival mode the entire fight, he seemed desperate to get the fight to the ground. I think Lewis was the guy actively looking to finish the fight which surprised me.

Derrick Lewis throwing flying knees though!? holy shit.

To be fair to Lewis and at first I figured he'd lose the decision, I just feel Nelson did nothing on the ground or in the clinch. For the 7 takedowns there was probably 4 times Big John broke the clinch due to nothing happening. Lewis would have had pretty much anyone else on the roster down and out with those punches if they landed.

Archived