The UK MMA Promotions Thread: BAMMA, Cage Warriors, ETC

seanz25

Maybe they want fights right in until the UFC 205 broadcast starts at 1am I'm guessing and Cage Warriors doesn't want to risk drawing poorly for people that want to watch 205 live, including the prelims. Putting back th together on the same night you get casual eyes on the Cage Warrior fighters and BT look like they are a part of UFC 205.

Let's go over to New York and speak to GAD, who is boring us about who has performed at MSG, while wearing Ali's shorts from the first Ali Frazier fight.

Edited by the_mole

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Don't forget that Cage Warriors Unplugged leads into the UFC on Saturday night. It's on BT (& Fight Pass) live at 9pm, nice addition to the night if you're in it for the long haul.

CW_Unplugged_Poster.jpg

• Champ Paddy Pimblett vs. Julian Erosa – for featherweight title
  • Champ Chris Fishgold vs. Nic Herron-Webb – for lightweight title
  • Matt Inman vs. Che Mills
  • Faycal Hucin vs. Andreas Michailidis
  • Kenneth Bergh vs. Johan Romming
  • Karl Moore vs. TBA
  • Lloyd Manning vs. Nathan Sparks
  • Sam Creasey vs. Shaj Haque
  • Leeroy Barnes vs. John Redmond

I imgagine we'll get the top 3/4 fights. Two title fights may go long so possibly 3. There's little to no promotion on line for this which is expected given what's going on but it's a great lead in with Paddy Pimblett headlining. The 205 rub should do the fighters and the promotion good. Get on it.

Down in London for the football and booked the cheapest Holiday Inn that I could find which was relatively central. Ended up in Limehouse which is towards the East End.

The reception is on the first floor but you enter on the ground floor. Walked in the doors and a young guy in decent shape was in his pants posing. I could hear loud laughter and shouting from the steps. Turned round and Dave O'Donnell was standing flexing wearing the tightest black t-shirt I've ever seen with a gold chain visible.

A flash went off and it became apparent there was a camera taking photos. The gent posing put a top back on before another young buck took his top off and stood in the spot for more photos.

The room cost me and my mate a combined 64 quid for the night which includes breakfast.

Edited by Marshmallo

So thoughts on Paddy's win?

Little bit of a home decision, but can see arguments for how he might retain.

The 'blood puke' was quite shocking at the time and I guess not what BT Sport/Cage Warriors wanted when new casual fans are tuning in - but apparently it was just "hot chocolate and Ferraro Rocher" according to Pimblett...

Bit of a weird reaction from the CW promoter as well when asked if he'd match up the 2 champions, he had a look on his face that the interview had just threatened to shoot his puppy!

Edited by evets_backwards

• Paid Members

First off, i thought the studio setting was pretty good. It was weird at first but it thought it was a pretty slick production, i'd not be against seeing them do that again if it's attached to a UFC PPV.

The fights were good also, i believed both Champions may have benefitted from a a little home-cooking on the cards, i thought Fishgold and Pimblett both lost their belts in good fights, not overly action-packed but they were intriguing, competetive contests.

Paddy Pimblett is the talking point of course and i think the fight proved that despite the UFC-interest, staying in Cage Warriors is the right thing for him at this moment, he stepped up in class and hung on by the skin of his teeth. Not quite sure how he survived the flying knee but from that moment on he was out of it, Erosa is going to kick himself that he didn't apply more pressure, Pimblett was there to be beaten. The commentary team alluded a few times to the fact that Pimblett probably doesn't lead the right kind of lifestyle outside the cage, hopefully this was a wakeup call and he gets his shit together because he does have star quality.

Edited by Egg Shen

Good f'n analysis, Ebb, you're bang on the money regarding Paddy. Should he know his limitations and be a big fish in that small pond? Or work on it and have the chance to expand elsewhere? From what I've seen I don't think he has the raw talent but are we always going to use Conor as a benchmark? Didn't think he would achieve what he has when he was in CW.

• Paid Members

I think the appeal is that he's a bit of an everyman who just happens to be able to fight, i think he needs to start living the life if he wants to go any higher. A UFC contract is probably there for him, but he'd soon run into competition he couldn't handle if he moved over. It's actually quite nice to see Cage Warriors hang onto someone who will bring eyeballs to the product though.

As I've said I find him really annoying and he doesn't look that athletic and probably has to work on his diet and cardio as well but he's still only 21 so he's got a few years before we can even start comparing him to Conor, the one who debuted in the UFC years back, not the one who is now 2 weight champion.

I think the comparisons were unfare even if he was a similar level fighter, there is no way His act is going to be received anything like Conors, he's just too scouse, looks like he's from the La's or Inbetweeners, it will work in Liverpool, not in the US.

Luke Barnatt was alright on commentary, nothing special but I prefer listening to a fighter rather than the matchmaker and Paul Dempsey added a bit of class, would like to see them bring him out during European UFC bouts as I think he works mostly for BT Sport.

• Paid Members

Yeh Barnatt was alright, English commentary teams are usually a bit shit but i think Cage Warriors has a decent team now. Boylan is shit though, a good promoter he may be, but he's not very good with a microphone in hand.

BAMMA are doing the Bellator prelims for the Irish show, look out for Tom DuQuesnoy a 23year old good looking kid from France, he's their Featherweight & Bantamweight champion, He trains at Jackson Wink and Greg Jackson was in his corner last fight, so he obviously sees something special in him if he's flying over here to corner him at normal BAMMA events.

Edited by the_mole